Apparently I'm eligible for an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
I bought the 3GS on launch day. It was my first phone on AT&T. I pay $39+$30 data + $5 text and am the only line on my account. I am eligible for the discounted pricing $199/$299 on the new iPhone 4 I believe.

When I go on at&t's website I get this:
As a valued AT&T customer, this line qualifies for discounted equipment pricing when you sign a new 2-year commitment.

iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee.

When I text it says it says "as a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

When I check my eligibility on apples site it gives me the lowest $99/$149/$199 pricing on the 3G/16 3GS/ 32 3GS.

Based on what i have seen, I shouldn't be eligible. My contract doesn't end until next June. But I'll take it. Anyone else in my situation?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you read any of the other 4-5 threads on the same topic, or listen to His Jobsness Keynote from Monday's WWDC, you would know that AT&T basically gave upgrade status to anyone whose contract expires any time in 2010.

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
If you read my post you would see that my contract doesn't end until 2011, which is next year as I said in my post. No one with a 3GS has a contract ending in 2010.

So thank you for your help, but it doesn't apply to me. I shouldn't be eligible. Again, won't complain about it, just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, eligible when they shouldn't be.

Edit: Not trying to be snotty, but if you're going to accuse me of not reading threads on here (a site I visit multiple times daily, where I listen to EVERY podcast, as well as follow it's coverage of keynotes LIVE), then please read mine completely too.

Sorry if I'm out of line.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Almost EVERYONE who has an iPhone has bumped up to be eligible for the iPhone 4. Just AT&T/Apple's way of keeping everyone on the iPhone and keeping u with AT&T. Win-Win for everyone.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I would call AT&T just to be sure. Only 1 line on my account (signed July of 2009) is eligible for an upgrade but me and my wife pay a lot per month. I called today and they told me I can use the upgrade on either number, which is great because it was my wife's # who is listed as eligible haha. She already said I was the one getting the iPhone 4 and she will get one at a later date, shes content for now with her 3G.

cajunrph

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
The primary line on the account can upgrade yearly. So you got your phone last year then you are due for an upgrade one year from that date. The contract expiration date and upgrade eligibility date are not the same thing.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Alli is correct that there are multiple threads on this same topic. There have been other discussions from those of us that get the new one each year. We have watched the updated upgrade dates. I didn't read her post as being accusatory just fact based. It's difficult to tell in your post if you are just making a statement or asking for feedback.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
If you read my post you would see that my contract doesn't end until 2011, which is next year as I said in my post. No one with a 3GS has a contract ending in 2010.

So thank you for your help, but it doesn't apply to me. I shouldn't be eligible. Again, won't complain about it, just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, eligible when they shouldn't be.

Edit: Not trying to be snotty, but if you're going to accuse me of not reading threads on here (a site I visit multiple times daily, where I listen to EVERY podcast, as well as follow it's coverage of keynotes LIVE), then please read mine completely too.

Sorry if I'm out of line.

False, i have a 3GS and i can upgrade on the 15th Which means mine was up this year.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
False, i have a 3GS and i can upgrade on the 15th Which means mine was up this year.

Um, actually, no it doesn't.
Unless you bought your iPhone 3GS in 2008, which you didn't, your 2 year contract can not have been up this year.
Simple math: 9+2=11.

iPhone 3GS contracts would not be done until June 19th, 2011 at the very earliest.

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Almost EVERYONE who has an iPhone has bumped up to be eligible for the iPhone 4. Just AT&T/Apple's way of keeping everyone on the iPhone and keeping u with AT&T. Win-Win for everyone.

Not true (although I wish). I called AT&T and I'm not eligible until 1/26/11. That's what the rep told me.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Originally Posted by rdiddy_25
Not true (although I wish). I called AT&T and I'm not eligible until 1/26/11. That's what the rep told me.

Which is why I said ALMOST.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
does anyone realize your upgrade date isn't the same as when your contract is up? Most upgrade dates are 4 months before the contract is up. so yes there are people with upgrades in 2010. [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

soulfulzeta

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by rdiddy_25

Which is why I said ALMOST.

Yeah I read what you said. I responded anyway.

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
i am only able to get an early upgrade price. but i want the iphone 4 pretty badly so i will be paying the 399 plus taxes for my phone come tuesday morning.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
does anyone realize your upgrade date isn't the same as when your contract is up? Most upgrade dates are 4 months before the contract is up. so yes there are people with upgrades in 2010.
Yeah, I think people are missing that point. I sign a 2 year contract, but being the main line on a family plan I can start a new 2 year contract after only serving 12 months of the current 24 months.

Most iPhone owners have bills high enough that would make their upgrade date about November 2010 if the purchased a 3GS close to release day.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
does anyone realize your upgrade date isn't the same as when your contract is up? Most upgrade dates are 4 months before the contract is up. so yes there are people with upgrades in 2010. dumbass

Um, don't call someone else a dumbass when you can't even subtract numbers, in fact don't call someone a dumbass on this forum period, that's just rude.

24 months from purchase period would be June 19th 2011 at the earliest.
20 months before purchase period (as you've laid out) would be February 19th 2011.

Please refrain from insulting others when you can't even backup your own statements.

dustinae

Jun 10, 2010
www.dustinae.com
i got mine on launch day last year and i am eligible for the upgrade.
@jellotime - they are giving early upgrades. sarcasm only works when you know what you are talking about. They are allowing early upgrades.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i got mine on launch day last year and i am eligible for the upgrade.
@jellotime - they are giving early upgrades. sarcasm only works when you know what you are talking about. They are allowing early upgrades.

I'm the one that told all of you people they would give early upgrades weeks ago and none of you believed me. What I'm saying is by the terms he outlined nobody would be eligible in 2010, and he shouldn't call someone else an idiot when he can't even do simply math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods