Why AT&T's New Data Plans are Good

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Look at it this way:

Lite iPhone users can now have a plan $15 cheaper, which is a huge deal for regular consumers who only have a data plan because they wanted the iPhone, and users who do not go over 2GB (most rarely go over 500mb) now have a plan $5 cheaper. iPad users shouldn't have a problem staying under 2GB either, really.

Also, this is good for consumers, establishing limits means ATT may soon open up the doors to more features like tethering for those on the 2GB plan, which was previously not allowed as we all know. Also, changing it from "unlimited" to a set amount will make users a little more sparing with their data use, which will improve the overall quality of the network. This is a good thing for most users and extreme users can keep their $30 unlimited plan. (though it does suck that iPad users can no longer get unlimited, do users who have already paid for unlimited for one month get to keep it for renewal each month onward?)

I'm not a fan of ATT at all, but you have to look at the big picture.

Reactions: peanutgallery

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
+1.

For AT&T users, log in to your wireless account online and you can request a graph of past months data trends. After looking at my account I'll end up switching to the 2gb plan to save $5 but I'm already trying to think of ways to cut out unnecessary data usage in order to get down under 200 mb/month and save more money.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
My initial thought was I didnt mind the cap.

My gf averages roughly 160-170mb a month and I about 500mb. I could potentially downgrade her plan to the cheaper, while enrolling myself in the new 2gb plan plus the additional $20 tethering. (Note: I currently have my phone JB primarily for this purpose) However, after further thought, it does not make sense why I would pay an additional $20 to use the same data as allotted for my phone. Yes, 2gb is quite a bit of data, however I should not have to pay an additional fee whether I consume the data through my phone or tethered device. This essentially forces me to pay extra for nothing.

I will most likely downgrade my gf's plan but will keep my current unlimited plan. Hopefully the dev team will crack OS4 soon after it's official release and I can download MyWi once again.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
They're charging an additional $20 for tethering!?!? Wow. I suppose that is in line with other American carriers but does it also give you another substantial amount of data with which to tether? Because in that case it's kind of fair.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Again, i've not seen any of them mention wifi hotspot tethering. This is plug in USB tethering IMO.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
@Jellotime91 I don't think you get any extra Data Useage with the $20 Tethering price. You MUST be on the 2GB ($25) plan to get Tethering.

I agree with Magnus in the point of paying more money for Tethering when it's still using the same data we are already paying for. I will save money on the new data plans as I don't even come close to 500MB much less 2GB of data per month. What pisses me off is that AT&T has the nerve to charge $20 more to use the same data you have already paid for. If this is their final idea for tethering I say we complain to the FCC or BBB about AT&T because thats them charging you TWICE for using the SAME data. That alone makes me want to tell AT&T go to eff themselves and switch to VzW but I hate VzW and LOVE my iPhone.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@BrianT

Wow that's totally ridiculous, but VZW does the same thing except for the Palm units which they are desperately trying to get rid of... Telcos all suck.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The 2 gig cap is fine with me, but as stated in other places, today's heavy user will be tomorrow's average user. I don't think they should have completely eliminated the unlimited cap, but instead increase it to 45 bucks.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Again, i've not seen any of them mention wifi hotspot tethering. This is plug in USB tethering IMO.

Very good point. That never crossed my mind. Tethering via WiFi/USB. Although, if tethering will now be "allowed", I'm sure an "app for that" will soon appear in the App Store.

@Jellotime91 I don't think you get any extra Data Useage with the $20 Tethering price. You MUST be on the 2GB ($25) plan to get Tethering.

I agree with Magnus in the point of paying more money for Tethering when it's still using the same data we are already paying for. I will save money on the new data plans as I don't even come close to 500MB much less 2GB of data per month. What pisses me off is that AT&T has the nerve to charge $20 more to use the same data you have already paid for. If this is their final idea for tethering I say we complain to the FCC or BBB about AT&T because thats them charging you TWICE for using the SAME data. That alone makes me want to tell AT&T go to eff themselves and switch to VzW but I hate VzW and LOVE my iPhone.

This is a viable complaint. How can one be charged a second time for something already paid for? It does not make sense. I'm sure a swarm of complaints will be submitted. Whether or not anything will actually change, only time will tell.

rliebert

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't seen anything for the enterprise plans regarding price changes. Will I be able to use an ActiveSync account for email with the $25 plan?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Magnus
you guys (ATT) customers need to start online petitions demanding that tethering be free with your data, or at least considerably cheaper. You'd be surprised what petitions can do!! In 2008, we Canadians forced Rogers to introduce a $30 for 6GB plan using a petition, and it was 100% effective!!

If you don't act now, nothing will happen.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
PS dudes, Wifi tethering is extremely battery intensive. Every solution I've used on my iPhone actually used so much battery it actually went down while plugged into AC! It's nice for convenience but you will never use it because it murders the battery so unbelievably fast.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
PS dudes, Wifi tethering is extremely battery intensive. Every solution I've used on my iPhone actually used so much battery it actually went down while plugged into AC! It's nice for convenience but you will never use it because it murders the battery so unbelievably fast.

I am sure it isnt battery friendly. However I wanted to use it for the rare occasions I don't have WiFi for my iPad. But I am for sure not happy AT&T is trying to make an extra $20 for tethering when we pay for data already. Like you said maybe its petition time or FTC time.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Anyone switching from unlimited to 200MB or 200GB is a fool !

I currently average around 500mb/month , so I could save $5 by downgrading to the 200GB , BUT knowing that I might need more than 200GB , I gladly fork over $60/yr extra just to make sure I keep the unlimited plan as we all know in the next few years we will use more and more bandwidth and I don't wanna have to look back and regret giving up unlimited data plan .

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Anyone switching from unlimited to 200MB or 200GB is a fool !

I currently average around 500mb/month , so I could save $5 by downgrading to the 200GB , BUT knowing that I might need more than 200GB , I gladly fork over $60/yr extra just to make sure I keep the unlimited plan as we all know in the next few years we will use more and more bandwidth and I don't wanna have to look back and regret giving up unlimited data plan .

Hey just to clarify, it is 2GB not 200GB. The current "unlimited" is basically a 5GB cap with just a few warnings at first when you go over before they start charging for the overages.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey just to clarify, it is 2GB not 200GB. The current "unlimited" is basically a 5GB cap with just a few warnings at first when you go over before they start charging for the overages.

So isn't that false advertising?? I mean it's not really unlimited if you get charged for going over. I mean how do u go over unlimited?? that's like saying a number bigger than infinity.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
so if we already have the unlimited plan.... are we able to keep it or will we be forced to opt out??

BBB will def. be busy soon *smh*

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
loudrims_inc

you get to keep the unlimited plan if you want.
However if you want to tether then you HAVE to switch to the new plan

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am sure it isnt battery friendly. However I wanted to use it for the rare occasions I don't have WiFi for my iPad. But I am for sure not happy AT&T is trying to make an extra $20 for tethering when we pay for data already. Like you said maybe its petition time or FTC time.

Petitions all the way! I'm serious! too often people are discouraged because people think the telcos won't pay attention, but they do!

jhyoo9587

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay everyone has there own opinion but if your iPhone is jailbroken then most likely you are using a lot more than 250 mb or maybe even 2gb when you use installous to download something it is using the data plan. I personally think that it is not a smart move ATT is doing yeah many users will be able to use smartphones but what about the old users who dont really have to worry about the data plan. This is just plain stupid

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR