Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question Help switching to AT&T

Since its looking that Verizon won't be getting the iphone until 2012. I was thinking of switching to at&t.few questions.

1.i live in philly and hear that iphone experiences a lot of dropped and missed calls?
    2. want to port my verizon cell#, but the contract isn't up until next year.Any advice?
    3. what is the cheapest i can get for a monthly service with taxes?don't use many talk minutes.

thanks
    iPhone Pro

You should be able to port your number over no problem, but I am guessing that VZW will make you pay some kind of ETF fee. As for coverage you need to look at a coverage map in your area or talk to some people that have ATT there to see what they say about it. No matter what plan you go with your going to pay at least 65-70 a month for Data and Voice and there is not an option to have a voice only plan with ATT.
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

My plan and monthly bill is as follows:

450 Anytime Minutes
    5000 Night/Weekend Minutes
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (AT&T to AT&T)
    Rollover
    Unlimited Data
    No texting plan

Tax, Title, License, Government Kickbacks, The Right to Breath Fee Total:

$80.22/mo

Of course, state and local taxes will vary in Philly but this should give you a good estimate.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
    My plan and monthly bill is as follows:

450 Anytime Minutes
    5000 Night/Weekend Minutes
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile (AT&T to AT&T)
    Rollover
    Unlimited Data
    No texting plan

Tax, Title, License, Government Kickbacks, The Right to Breath Fee Total:

$80.22/mo

Of course, state and local taxes will vary in Philly but this should give you a good estimate.
    what do you do about texting?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

It's another $20 extra a month for unlimited texting, so I used BeeJeiveIM app instead. It's an all-in-one instant messaging app compatible with AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, MSN, etc. I can also send SMS out and can receive SMS from sent text.

Most everybody I keep in contact is this manor uses AIM anyway and is also work related. So texting is irrelevant to me. If I want to talk to a friend, I'll call them.
    iPhone Newbie

Two weeks ago I had an Android phone through Sprint. The phone couldn't even function! Every app would "force close" and I had to do battery pulls three times a day. Needless to say, I cancelled my Sprint contract -- early termination fee was $200 -- WAY worth the fee for switching the iPhone. Before I switched, I had heard that AT&T was notorious for dropping calls. I ported my number over to AT&T from Sprint (with no problems at all) and I have yet to have a call drop! I plan to recover my $200 Sprint termination fee by selling my 3-month-old Android phone on ebay! Best decision ever was to get an iPhone!
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question

thanks for the info. couple of more question.

Since i can't port my verizon cell# because my contract with verizon isn't up until the end of the year, I was wondering if I can just forward verizon cell# to my new at&t#? How long can i do this and when you forward a number would they be able to leave a voicemail on at&t or would it be on verizon?

I guess I should wait until they release the new iphone in june.

So you are going to keep the old phone and pay verizon every month? Why not just terminate the Verizon line, pay the $150 fee or whatever it is to break the contract and move the number to ATT?
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    So you are going to keep the old phone and pay verizon every month? Why not just terminate the Verizon line, pay the $150 fee or whatever it is to break the contract and move the number to ATT?
    That's exactly what I did -- paid Sprint the $200 fee for early termination. If you were to keep Verizon till your contract is up, I would think it would be easy to forward calls from your Verizon number to the new AT&T number though.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c64 View Post
    thanks for the info. couple of more question.

Since i can't port my verizon cell# because my contract with verizon isn't up until the end of the year, I was wondering if I can just forward verizon cell# to my new at&t#? How long can i do this and when you forward a number would they be able to leave a voicemail on at&t or would it be on verizon?

I guess I should wait until they release the new iphone in june.
    Who said you can't port your number? Active contract doesn't matter.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mpafr012 View Post
    Who said you can't port your number? Active contract doesn't matter.
    I thought as soon as you port a cell# the provider cancels that line and charges you ETF.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,289 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Your correct, once the number is ported to AT&T it will cancel ur VZW service. Sell ur Android phone to cover ur ETF, problem solved.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

My contract expires w/ Verizon in 2012, but I want to switch to AT & T, should I take the plunge and get out of my contract now.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by c64 View Post
    Since its looking that Verizon won't be getting the iphone until 2012. I was thinking of switching to at&t.few questions.

1.i live in philly and hear that iphone experiences a lot of dropped and missed calls?
    2. want to port my verizon cell#, but the contract isn't up until next year.Any advice?
    3. what is the cheapest i can get for a monthly service with taxes?don't use many talk minutes.

thanks
    1. i live in Philly too and what u heard is bull***t

2. wait for contract to be up or pay the cancellation fee and port your #

3. $40 for talk, $30 for Data, and $20 for SMS = $90 + $10? for taxes and fees = $100 give or take a buck or two

good luck!!
    Last edited by Hack-My-I; 05-14-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Join me on Facebook and check out my group: Hack-My-I
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Follow Me on Twitter and I will Follow You Back
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB
    White iPad2 16gb wi-fi: hack-my-i Edition

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
    iPhone Newbie

I ported my number with no problem after paying Sprint the early termination fee.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

how much do u pay monthly for your iphone? Right now im on sprint and i really want a iphone 4.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,289 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

Cheapest plan u cam get witj an iphone is $75. That includes 450 minutes, 200mb of data and unlimited text.