Iphone Data charge

shertzie

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
If I am given an Iphone and insert my at&t sim card will I have to contact AT&T or will the phone be live with my current plan? I am trying to avoid the $30 per month data charge.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
AT&T will detect you're using an iPhone and tell you to upgrade, and eventually will force you to.

The iPhone will work with your sim, but you'll be found out.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AT&T will detect you're using an iPhone and tell you to upgrade, and eventually will force you to.

The iPhone will work with your sim, but you'll be found out.

this.

plus, your phone seems to use data no matter what. you'll get hit with a data charge at per MB rates

grkboy782

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
actually you can download bossprefs and turn 3g and edge off...then your phone can not use any data and you will not be charged. i have been doing that for a while, and AT&T has never noticedd

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
When I first got my I phone, I tried to use my old ATT sim (my fault... didn't read instructions), and it didn't work at all. Just spring for the data plan... the iPhone isn't worth having without it.

TiburonGrande

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
As someone who bought an iPhone independently (via Craigslist), while already under a pre-existing (non-iPhone) contract, I can attest that what Big9 and Flying said is true. Thought I could "get away" with not paying for the data plan, but alas U can't really. AT&T *will* charge U per MB for any data (even received emails), which adds up $$ REAL fast. Plus they will start sending U annoying, daily text messages warning U, "U must be on an iPhone data plan to use data on iPhone". Just not worth the hassle and $ to fight this, IMO.

One thing U can do, to avoid signing a new 2-year contract, is get an amenable ATT rep to set U up with iPhone data plan under ur current contract. Try contacting someone like Blakejackson (on TIPB) who can do this.

One alternative is to jailbreak/unlock ur iPhone & go to t-mobile. U won't get 3G Data speeds, but their talk/data plans are cheaper than ATT's so u'll def save $$ overall.

@ Grkboy, ur alternative sounds interesting, but it sounds like U can only get data via WiFi with the BossPrefs jailbreak hack/app? And does this screw with ur ability to make/receive phone calls??

shertzie

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
If I already have the unlimited data plan does that change anything. Because right now I have a smart phone and only pay $10 for unlimited data, because of a mistake they made and I know they can not change my plan without my approval.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
If I already have the unlimited data plan does that change anything. Because right now I have a smart phone and only pay $10 for unlimited data, because of a mistake they made and I know they can not change my plan without my approval.

From what I understand, if you put your sim in an iPhone, they can change your plan. I believe they put something in writing somewhere that basically states that you understand that data is $30 for the iPhone and putting your sim in an iPhone you are agreeing to the terms.

Someone posted that here, but I can't find it. I know I'm not stating it correctly, but it was something like that.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand, if you put your sim in an iPhone, they can change your plan. I believe they put something in writing somewhere that basically states that you understand that data is $30 for the iPhone and putting your sim in an iPhone you are agreeing to the terms.

Someone posted that here, but I can't find it. I know I'm not stating it correctly, but it was something like that.

This probably depends on when you signed a contract and when they included a "they can change features if you change the phone and don't tell us" wording.

But it's very likely that for at least 3 years now this has been possible.

One thing I thought of- If you want visual voicemail, this feature is setup as part of the iphone data service. Mainly because VVM uses a data connection.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2