Who think iPhone / ATT deal over this week?

Is the ATT / iPhone exclusive deal coming to an end Jan 27?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Not the 27th, but soon, before the end of 2010

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Not until 4G hits the mainstream in 2011 (or so)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Not anytime soon

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

PhxBlue

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't buy it. I would love to ease the crowding on AT&T's data network but it just doesn't seem probable to me.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
AT&T would destroy Verizon with our network does voice and data with the iPhone, yours doesn't... Verizon having the iPhone b4 4G is a bad move for Verizon... Where can you do voice and data with the iPhone on AT&T's network.." There's a map for that"

Where can you do voice and data on Verizon's network with the iPhone? " There is no map for that" haha

I see it already, Verizon will get basted

cheliebely12

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will, Apple has never come out at said anything negative about the ATT problems. If the Att service problems were a real concern of Apple's they would have probably come out and said something to their product users about the contract being over soon, or publicly criticized ATT for it. I think that ATT will negotiate the contract and extend it to 2011.

BTW, I went to two different websites recently to read about this and one of them tried to install malware on my computer. Don't know which one it was, they were dvice.com & businessinsider.com. Just FYI if you want to look more up on the subject.

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
All the Verizon fanboys will be able to start planning. Can you imagine all the folks that buy Droids trying to return them. Also don't they have the Pre and Pixi shipping this month?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
what this mean "Not until 4G hits the mainstream in 2011"
Uh I thought the next overrated Iphone was the 4g which is to be released this year

4G as in the wireless network technology. We are currently on 3G or maybe 3.5G with the 7.2 towers starting to come online.

The next iPhone will still most likely only support 3G network so it will probably still be called the iPhone 3G (something). Maybe this time instead of S they will call it iPhone 3G Pro or whatever.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
All the Verizon fanboys will be able to start planning. Can you imagine all the folks that buy Droids trying to return them. Also don't they have the Pre and Pixi shipping this month?

I think people rather be verizon fanboys than stupid AT&T loons. Seriously not even competition. I love verizon red map to AT&T blue map. It's quite embarrassing

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
and where on that map can you do voice and data at the same time, AT&T has a map for that.... You don't, come back when you got full 4G coverage... See you in 2012

cheliebely12

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
It is my understanding that Verizon's 3g is not the same as ATT's 3g, their commercials are misleading. Also, if you have a Verizon contract you should read the find print, their data is not unlimited (from what I read many times in othe forums) there is a 5 gig cap on it. ATT does not currently have that 5 gig cap. Being able to make calls while using data is big plus! Especially if you are not near a computer and are trying to make plans with someone or find directions etc... The uses are limitless.

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Whenever I hear people talk about AT&T, I hear this little voice in my head of a five year old saying, "Well, we can talk and surf!!!!!!!" *storms away* True, but only where you get coverage and... oh that's right... it's AT&T.

cheliebely12

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Every cell phone company has their pros and cons, if you are happy with the one you've chosen good for you. ATT's data map is as vast as its voice map. Most people don't notice or understand the difference in data coverage. All maps can be easily looked up on the internet. BTW, Verizon currently has law suits pending against them for their misleading ads. Not to mention the fact that they completely avoid the topic Sprints 4g coverage, and they just added 5 more cities to their map.

I thought this was a forum to discuss things, not insult others with a difference of opinion.

damule6666

Banned
Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
I think people rather be verizon fanboys than stupid AT&T loons. Seriously not even competition. I love verizon red map to AT&T blue map. It's quite embarrassing
Your ignorance amazes me... You stay with brand [V] and your cute lil red map..
I will stay with AT&T and continue making calls and being able to use the web!

Their is a reason Apple chooses to stay with AT&T over brand [V].. THEY SUCK!
to put in language you may be able to wrap your mind around!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AT&T would destroy Verizon with our network does voice and data with the iPhone, yours doesn't... Verizon having the iPhone b4 4G is a bad move for Verizon... Where can you do voice and data with the iPhone on AT&T's network.." There's a map for that"

Where can you do voice and data on Verizon's network with the iPhone? " There is no map for that" haha

I see it already, Verizon will get basted
I agree with you about Verizon. However, the end of the AT&T agreement may mean T-Mobile, not Verizon. Verizon requires either a CDMA radio or an LTE one. CDMA would have a short life and LTE is not yet available.

There are a few of us that are GSM first and iPhone second.

All that said, one would really like to be quit of the "steaming pile of failure."

Two weeks to my trip to San Francisco. I will report on AT&T but I will not rely upon them. Definitely taking my Verizon MIFI card so I will have data, AT&T or no AT&T. There is a map for voice ordata "on Verizon's network with the iPhone." It is the same as the Verizon 3G map, the one that AT&T really hates.

Have you noticed how AT&T has crafted their ads so as to imply that their 97% voice coverage and their "fastest" data network are the same?

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Whenever I hear people talk about AT&T, I hear this little voice in my head of a five year old saying, "Well, we can talk and surf!!!!!!!" *storms away* True, but only where you get coverage and... oh that's right... it's AT&T.
Can one talk and surf on EDGE?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Can one talk and surf on EDGE?

No, it was added in GSM 3G data.

To assist

1x is 2G CDMA
EV (EVDO) is 3G CDMA
both are maxed out in speed. Verizon has their network well built but it's as good as it gets. a Verizon CDMA iphone would max towers out quicker than AT&T because it will require a longer connection for the same amount of data allowing less people to use it per hour.

GPRS and Edge are 2G GSM
HSDPA is 3G GSM
They added talking and data to HSDPA.

LTE is the next gen from the GSM market
It's going to begin to appear in 2011. Both AT&T have to work on every tower they own since it uses a new frequency range.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

do you ever wonder why you come here and post?
seriously, lets take this time and say it out loud;

"why do I come here and post?"

you're constantly complaining about one thing or another, whether it be about the iPhone or AT&T.

make sense?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
No, it was added in GSM 3G data.
Since most of the AT&T coverage is EDGE, that is failrly significant. It means that one can "talk and surf" only in the major markets, i.e., on the Blue map. In some of those, e.g., SF and NYC, one can hardly surf at all, much less talk and surf.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone/AT&T combo is like a Ferrari that runs only some of the time. Fantastic when it works, but frustrating as all hell when it won't start. The service is so inconsistent- it's either all or none for me. Works like a charm or it's a iPod touch with a $65/month fee.

But, mark my words, the Apple/AT&T monopoly will continue this year. Don't get your hopes up for an iPhone on another carrier.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2