With the new information, wouldn't a Verizon iPhone announcement make sense?

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
If the recent rumors that the Apple Tablet will run on Verizon's network are true, then wouldn't it make perfect sense to announce that the iPhone would be coming to Verizon as well in the same event? It would be more like a Verizon partnership announcement with two products, instead of announcing the tablet now and then the iPhone (if it is coming) in June.

What do you think?

Last edited:

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
This is just my opinion.....which is often wrong :D

Verizon has been bashing the iPhone and AT&T with it's iCan't commercials. I'd like to think Apple doesn't take too kind to a company spending millions of dollars slandering their product but then partner up with them.

Also, on the blog side of this site, lots of people are saying that it doesn't make sense to have the iPhone on a network in which you can't make a call and pull up a note/number/address at the same time.

I personally don't see Apple designing and manufacturing two phones with different chipsets anyway. I would think this would drive the price up which is usually passed on to the consumer.

I think we'll probably see the announcement of iPhone OS 4.0 along with some other things.

Again, just my opinion.

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
This is just my opinion.....which is often wrong :D

Verizon has been bashing the iPhone and AT&T with it's iCan't commercials. I'd like to think Apple doesn't take too kind to a company spending millions of dollars slandering their product but then partner up with them.

Also, on the blog side of this site, lots of people are saying that it doesn't make sense to have the iPhone on a network in which you can't make a call and pull up a note/number/address at the same time.

I personally don't see Apple designing and manufacturing two phones with different chipsets anyway. I would think this would drive the price up which is usually passed on to the consumer.

I think we'll probably see the announcement of iPhone OS 4.0 along with some other things.

Again, just my opinion.

Hmm... Well, with the ad campaign, I think Apple would expect that because they are competitors (at the moment) and that is how business works, and I think there won't be many hurt feelings at Apple if they're making twice as much revenue per year.

The lack of multitasking on Verizon would be a problem, but then again, I doubt that will be a dealbreaker for many people.

Again, if they generate enough revenue from the new sales to outweigh the production costs, it would be a win for Apple, even if they take a bit of a risk at the beginning.

Just my opinion as well.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree with this. I mean you can't even recieve a picture while talking on the phone on verizons network. which is really sad. plus the whole browsing the internet while on the phone.. ha but gsm networks can do it.

tbgreen89

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm on a Blackberry with Verizon and switching to AT&T to get me a iphone cause this blackberry is turning into a wackberry... As soon as I get my taxes ;). But honestly I haven't been to happy with a lot of things with Verizon. Their coverage is great. But the way handle data is lame. Can't surf the web while I'm on a call. And I can only send 160 character sms's. The internet is sloooowww too. And where I live AT&T's coverage has gotten better. Who knows Apple may want to create something new you never know.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It's tough to call. Here are my predictions:

1) No Verizon iPhone. To announce it now would kill sales and to make a 3gs now with the 4.0 around the corner makes no sense. Also, I think the Apple/AT&T monopoly will continue.
2) No iPhone OS 4.0 announcement. That's March. Don't blow your mindshare/hype wad all on one day.
3) No next gen iPhone news. That's June. For same reasons as 2.
4) Upgraded Macs, some software tweaks, announcement about sales, market share
5)... and one more thing- tablet. My guess? It will be on AT&T, be basically a bigger iPhone, with a touch more OS X function, aluminum casing, and be $500-$600 as a subsidized price. Expect a high-end netbook fighter with Kindle capability. Any cheaper and it will cannibalize the iPhone. Any more expensive and nobody will buy it. This is the tablet's trick- it's not a Kindle fighter or a tablet. Everybody is worried about it being a tablet. Misdirection. It is Apple's take on a netbook.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think it's silly to create another rumor off a rumor that Apple is making something that will run on Verizon.

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I think it's silly to create another rumor off a rumor that Apple is making something that will run on Verizon.

Well, it's actually not just a rumor I came up with. There are indications from foreign manufacturers that Apple signed a major deal with Qualcomm to develop chips for the iPhone that are CDMA-compatible. So, my statement is not completely based on fabrications or the like.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If the recent rumors that the Apple Tablet will run on Verizon's network are true, then wouldn't it make perfect sense to announce that the iPhone would be coming to Verizon as well in the same event? It would be more like a Verizon partnership announcement with two products, instead of announcing the tablet now and then the iPhone (if it is coming) in June.

What do you think?
I think Apple should just buy AT&T. Then we can stop playing all these games.

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Verizon Carrier ID Spotted?

Supposedly, an iPhone with a Verizon carrier ID has been found in the San Fran area, as shown in the widely circulated screenshot below:

photos.macnn.c0m/news/1001/iphone-verizonrumorlg1.jpg (replace the 0 with an o)

While this would make sense if they are testing one, isn't it very easy to change the carrier name from an app (can't remember the name right now) in Cydia?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Verizon is replacing their entire network starting this year, CDMA is a dead technology.

I wouldn't move to them even if they do offer it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Verizon is replacing their entire network starting this year, CDMA is a dead technology.

I wouldn't move to them even if they do offer it.
Right. And AT&T is going to HSPDA. And I am selling shares in a toll bridge.

One should not make hard choices on the basis of hype. If it is not for sale to all comers, on a reasonable delivery schedule, at a published price, One might well take the AT&T microcell as an example. it is vapor ware. Vapor ware is called that because it is at best ephemeral and is prone to disappear all together. Its very purpose is to distort current decisions.

Vapor ware is more prevalent in some industries than in others. It is highly favored in the wireless communication industry, where history is used in place of vision for allocating capital.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Right. And AT&T is going to HSPDA. And I am selling shares in a toll bridge.

One should not make hard choices on the basis of hype. If it is not for sale to all comers, on a reasonable delivery schedule, at a published price, One might well take the AT&T microcell as an example. it is vapor ware. Vapor ware is called that because it is at best ephemeral and is prone to disappear all together. Its very purpose is to distort current decisions.

Vapor ware is more prevalent in some industries than in others. It is highly favored in the wireless communication industry, where history is used in place of vision for allocating capital.

Actually, AT&T has HSPDA sites already and they're moving to LTE in 2011 having already done tests. Verizon has an entire web page dedicated to LTE.

The microcell exists. It's just not widely available to people which is different. vaporware is something that they keep saying will exist but does not exist yet for anyone outside the company to use or buy.

VerizonFan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
I have been reading threads about the recent rumors on other forums, and the main thing I hear is that a.) Verizon's network is going to crash due to the "flood" of new traffic and that b.) AT&T is better because you can talk and surf the web simultaneously.

I just wanted to share my own thoughts on these two topics. First off, I read recently that Verizon had strengthened its network and I recall the Verizon CEO saying that they were prepared to handle the traffic of the iPhone if it was brought to Verizon. Now, we'll see if that's actually true when this actually happens, but I'm confident on the reliability of the network.

Secondly, the "talk and surf" feature boasted about by the AT&T ads, while they are true now, won't really be applicable as soon as two years in the future because of LTE. Now, I'm no expert on cellular technologies, but LTE is going to be the new standard shared by all networks, right? So, would that mean that when it is rolled out, Verizon customers would be able to "talk and surf" as well? If this was the case, it would only be a few years before this would happen, although an article from last July said that back then they were already testing LTE in select markets, and that "The source, which has been knowledgeable about such things in the past, says that Verizon is racing to have its LTE service ready to go in a bunch of markets for Q1 2010." It still hasn't been made clear whether the rumored Verizon iPhone will solely had a CDMA radio in it, but would it be possible for them to have the CDMA radio in there but also the LTE radio so that when this new technology comes into play, "old" iPhone users won't be left behind? If this were the case, then wouldn't it also be possible for users in the select testing markets to be able to use their iPhones on the LTE network and then fall-back onto CDMA when the LTE service gets shaky? Does this even have a chance of happening? Because in that case, wouldn't Verizon iPhone users in those select markets be able to "talk and surf?"

Just my $.02

DainBramage1

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
OK, but two years is an eternity!! I'm just glad I was already a pretty satisfied AT&T customer before getting a smartphone, so I didn't have to choose between staying on one of the other carriers and what is the coolest smartphone out there!

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how the size, and dynamics of the iPhone would change as a cdma device would it become bigger less pocketable or what?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Check out this very interesting report that I just found: AT&T Insiders Report iPhone Exclusivity Going Away On Wednesday - HotHardware

If this is true, it would most likely mean a VZW iPhone announced on Wednesday. Sure, we never no, but if that report is true, it would be quite a coincidence that these two things coincide on the same exact day.
What I thought was interesting is the idea that AT&T does not care, that they blame the iPhone for their network problems, and will be glad to have it crash other networks.

I will be happy to accommodate them. If I am such a pain for them, I will leave them in a minute. particularly if an alternate carrier will let me run PDANet so that I can drop my Verizon MiFi. I will just save the GSM phone for when I leave the US. I will keep data service, but drop voice to the least cost contract, on AT&T until I return from Singapore in July. Then I will drop them like a hot rock.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods