Epicenter The Business of Tech Cap My iPhone? Try This Instead, AT&T

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cap My iPhone? Try This Instead, AT&T | Epicenter | Wired.com

People here should be outraged!!!!
And this comment says it all for me
"This message comes from AT&T, that their network really can?t handle smart phones. It almost sounds like AT&T agrees with Verizon?s ad campaign against AT&T. Verizon should be all over this, with some new ads showing how AT&T admits their network can?t handle smart phones. What is AT&T thinking? First they tried to sue Verizon to stop telling the truth - now are they going to sue their customers to stop using the unlimited plans AT&T sold them?"

And the people will just sit here and do nothing....Well I better not get no cap or no damn extra fee's for this overrated phone...And seriously don't try to prop at&t 3g up
IPHONE NEED TO LEAVE AT&T!!!!

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Where has ATT said they'll sue people?

What will this cap be and how does it compare to the average monthly usage? Don't know? Why are you complaining?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/200...S-TEC-ATT-Data-Usage.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

AT&T talks out of both sides of its mouth. On the one hand, they want us to believe that their problems are limited to San Francisco and New York and then want to blame the customer for them. AT&T continues to allocate scarce capital to the cows in Vermont while starving paying customers in SF and NY. They are still promoting the use of GPRS for personal computers but complaining about iPhones. WM users are not a problem, only iPhone customers.

We did not think up the contract, AT&T did. We are paying our bills but now AT&T says that they cannot afford to live up to their commitment of unlimited data. We are now three years into this situation. Not only has the service level not improved but it continues to deteriorate. Where is the HSDPA AT&T keeps promising? If they would deploy it, they would not have a problem.

However, it is only iPhone customers that use too much bandwidth. WM customers can tether and watch their Slingboxes but iPhone customers cannot. They do not complain about WM customers because they can leave in a heartbeat. Blame iPhone users because Apple will not let them go to another carrier.

Steve, can you read? You have tied Apple's future to a "steaming pile of failure." You do not have to take our word for it. Just read what AT&T has to say on the subject. Apple, you are going to be known by the company you keep.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/200...S-TEC-ATT-Data-Usage.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

AT&T talks out of both sides of its mouth. On the one hand, they want us to believe that their problems are limited to San Francisco and New York and then want to blame the customer for them. AT&T continues to allocate scarce capital to the cows in Vermont while starving paying customers in SF and NY.

We did not think up the contract, AT&T did. We are paying our bills but now AT&T says that they cannot afford to live up to their commitment of unlimited data. We are now three years into this situation. Not only has the service level not improved but it continues to deteriorate.

Steve, can you read? You have tied Apple's future to a "steaming pile of failure." You do not have to take our word for it. Just read what AT&T has to say on the subject.
Starting this month i will be paying off my sprint bill and going back to them...which is over a thousand since a employee called me the b and c word so i slammed a palm pre & htc hero...I will not stand for this gawd awful service by this joke of a company At&t

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
why must you shove it down our throats? just do it already.
you're constantly complaining about your phone or service.
tbh, you'll probably be unhappy with sprint in a few months also.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
why must you shove it down our throats? just do it already.
you're constantly complaining about your phone or service.
tbh, you'll probably be unhappy with sprint in a few months also.

some people are just negative.

She was already unhappy with sprint, stopped paying the bills and it sounds like destroyed two phones in anger

saying she's going back is her trying to get sympathy so we say she's right about all her decisions

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
All that article says is that AT&T is going to start using tiered data plans, and guess what? THAT'S WHAT MOST OTHER CARRIERS IN THE WORLD ALREADY DO! Look at Canadian carriers.

And OP, before you go bashing AT&T, learn to read. Nowhere does it say AT&T will sue anyone (copied the quote from AT&T's mouth at the bottom of this post).

There has always been somewhat of a softcap on data. Look at comcast and other cable companies. if you're downloading billions of gigs a month, they'll make you pay more or tell you to go elsewhere. data is not free by any means. i have WANTED tiered data forever. it's a smarter way to not only handle network congestion, but to get people to not hog bandwidth. it affects everyone. and honestly, anyone who is using over 5gb of data on their phone needs help. i can see if you stream pandora or something, but my god, get a frackin router already. you don't need to stream pandora constantly. you have an ipod built in your iPhone for crying out loud.

and honestly, before you get your panties in a bunch, data may be CHEAPER for a lot of people. tiered data would probably be structured starting at 10-15$ or so.

I'd think something like this...

500MB data - $15
1-2GB - $20
5 GB or unlimited - $30
Maybe Unlimited - $40

And honestly, that really isn't unfair. I would think they'd want to encourage people to save a little money and drop their plans. It'll ease up on network congestion. For people like me, I'd be able to drop my plan as I don't even use 500MB a month as I have wifi at home. They don't have as many costs when it comes to handling network congestion and I have a little extra pocket money. It's a win/win situation.

People use data irresponsibly and it affects everyone. So before you go pointing fingers, look at other carriers, they all have "soft caps", they normally just don't enforce them, but believe me, they'll all follow suit soon, so go ahead, have fun with sprint and that bill for stupidly breaking several phones.

They have not have said it outright, but expect tiered data soon. You'll be able to have data and do what you want, you'll just pay for it. What a concept. :rolleyes:

Soon there won't be data plans given on what type of phone you use, but data will be data, whether you have a Razr or an iPhone. You pay for the data you use, not based on whether or not your phone has a keyboard or runs an OS (which was a stupid idea to begin with). Data is data, and it's about time it's treated as such.

Article from AT&T:

AT&T: Tighter control of cell data usage ahead
Tighter controls on wireless data usage coming for iPhones and other devices, AT&T exec warns

By Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer
On 10:30 am EST, Wednesday December 9, 2009
NEW YORK (AP) -- Wireless data hogs who jam the airwaves by watching video on their iPhones will be put on tighter leashes, an AT&T Inc. executive said Wednesday.

The carrier has had trouble keeping up with wireless data usage, leading to dropped connections and long waits for users trying to run programs on their devices. AT&T is upgrading its network to cope, but its head of consumer services, Ralph de la Vega, told investors at a UBS conference in New York that it will also give high-bandwidth users incentives to "reduce or modify their usage."

De la Vega didn't say exactly how or when the carrier would change its policies, but he said some form of usage-based pricing for data is inevitable.

Right now, the carrier has a monthly usage cap of 5 gigabytes on its data plans, the same as other carriers. That's an ample allowance for most people, and gives them little reason to curtail their usage. AT&T also doesn't make it easy for subscribers to know how data they're consuming.

"We need to educate the customer ... We've got to get them to understand what represents a megabyte of data," de la Vega said. "We're improving all our systems to let consumers get real-time information on their data usage."

Just 3 percent of "smart" phone users are consuming 40 percent of the network capacity, de la Vega said, adding that the most high-bandwidth activity is video and audio streaming. Several applications on the iPhone provide nonstop Internet radio.

De la Vega also defended the network's performance, saying testing showed that AT&T's third-generation, or 3G, network was faster than that of competitors, and that major problems are concentrated in New York and San Francisco, which are packed with smart phone users.

AT&T is locked in a TV ad war with Verizon Wireless, which is touting its wider 3G network coverage. The two recently agreed to drop two lawsuits about their dueling claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alli

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
And OP maybe a few lessons in grammer would help you, before you come and troll over here.

@Mugs, what I would like to see is $40 a month with a end of month rebate for lower data usage users... Or maybe even end of contract rebate, this would like a new iPhone savings plan :) and protect AT&T from contract jackers

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
For that matter, introduce a tiered data plan with rollover. For those that don't want any limits, they can pay more for the unlimited plan.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73