ATT Off Network Data Usage

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
So this is the 2nd time in as many months that ATT is whining about my "Off-Network Data" usage.

I moved from Michigan to North Dakota, and there is no ATT here so I am roaming on T-Mobile, and Alltel. All the data usage is running up the bill at ATT and now they are somewhat threatening to kick me off.

I'm kind of irratated about this whole bit because not 5 miles into Minnesota there is perfectly good native ATT coverage that just doesn't expand this far.

Anyone got any ideas of how to maintain my iPhone service? I was thinking maybe I could unlock my iPhone and use someone else? Will ATT unlock my phone? They have already agreed to release me from my contract.

Email Below.

Dear RYAN,
Our systems have detected that you are transmitting a substantial amount of data while roaming in areas not directly served by AT&T. The Terms and Conditions of our data plans (including unlimited plans) provide an "off-net usage" allowance that is equal to the lesser of 24 megabytes or 20% of the megabytes included in your plan.
To assist you with knowing when you are using another carrier's network, we have changed the label on your wireless data device screen to display "Off Network". Please be aware of this network label and work to limit your data transmission while outside the AT&T data network boundaries. The AT&T data network coverage map is available at AT&T Coverage Viewer
We are available to answer any questions you have by contacting us at 800-331-0500 and referencing keyword: "DRC_037".
Thank you,
AT&T

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
if you need AT&T service move.

AT&T will not unlock it. ever.

if you want to use it with t-mobile your only option is to jailbreak your phone.

Alltel was CDMA and is now owned by Verizon. There's no way you were roaming on their network.

Last edited:

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
yea bummer. I called ATT and they said no way. Am looking at the T-mobile front right now.

Is there a way I can stop the phone from using data without using airplane mode?

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
OK seems as though I need to go to the dark side. Stupid question- but with all the versions updates etc, it is possible to jailbrake a 3GS 3.1.2 software right? Blackra1n is where I should be going?

gitwibe

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I accept with information:All the data usage is running up the bill at ATT and now they are somewhat threatening to kick me off.

iPhoneT2

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
iPhone Unlimited? Data Plan

I'm having a similar issue after moving from California to South Dakota, only I'm getting the warnings after some data usage (iPhone Maps program I suspect) IN NETWORK here and in the Minneapolis area according to AT&T's own coverage maps. I even got an AT&T agent tell me I don't have a "National Plan" :eek: as a reason. I had to re-school them by reminding them there is only ONE data plan for the iPhone and iPhone users are either ON or OFF network and should NEVER :mad: get data usage warnings when connected IN AT&T's network in the U.S.. So the question should be, is AT&T not being "clear" (I don't dare use the L' word) about data coverage maps OR the terms of the iPhone "Unlimited" Data Plan. I wonder if AT&T has Customer or Executive Relations departments like Apple does. They might be more helpful in clarifying :cool:.

Last edited:

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well if you read the fine print it does go into detail about consuming only 24mb of "Off-Network" data usage.

Has Att switched your iPhone to show Off-Network instead of ATT? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I certainly understand AT&T's position on this. They have to pay the other carrier to provide you with service. Although most of us never looked at it, this provision was always in the contract.

The real problem here is that they will never unlock, even to save themselves money. While I am generally opposed to jailbreaking, in your situation, I would do it.

anon(22163)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Well part of the problem is there's no other provider up here. T-mobile won't take me either.

Alltel owns all the GSM towers in this area, which is unusual since Alltel is a CDMA carrier. But ATT bought up Alltel here in early 2009 so they will have service from ATT here soon, but I think it's going to be a year or more.

I'm doing a lot of traveling around now, so I've used a dummy carrier profile to disable data in Fargo, then once I'm on the road for the weekend I remove it. Working OK now but once I finish moving here I'm not sure how well that will work.

I was considering calling ATT to cancel the data plan. If I switch to a dumbphone and cancel the data, then switch back to the iPhone will they get all upset with me?

Drsandman2

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I ran into the "Off Network" data problem myself.

AT&T explained to me that if more than 40% of my data usage were off network in a two month period, then they would contact me via txt or email and switch my network to "Off Network" instead of AT&T. Which they did. One month of that I was 4 miles from downtown Dallas in Irving. Anyways... then, AT&T would give me another 60 days to correct myself before they canceled my account.

I wasn't necessarily upset that I had to use AT&T's primary towers, but I was not happy to find that AT&T doesn't disclose to their customer base which areas are "off network" and which are not... until you run into a problem with your ratio of data usage. There is no way for the phone to track how much data or what percentage is being sent/accepted off network. The the AT&T reps told me the solution was to call into the call center every day and ask, not use the internet when I was off network or change carriers without paying the early termination fee. Guess what I did?

The Verizon network is awesome, especially since I work for the Forest Service and travel the country. Verizon's "off network" is defined as international areas not covered by Verizon... not undisclosed locations across the US. So, you won't run into the same problem I experienced with AT&T.

I picked up an HTC Droid Eris, which in my opinion is an upgrade to the iPhone 3G. For me, it can do everything my iPhone does and comes with a removable battery and microSD card for additional power and storage options. 5MP camera with video. And did I mention Adobe Flash support and tethering? Plus, what nerd wouldn't want to support Google's push into the OS market? (Will have to google instructions on tethering for the Eris.)

AT&T failed to upgrade their networks and Apple needs to drop their issues with support for Adobe Flash. They can't run Flash on the iPad, so I don't expect it on the iPhone anytime soon. I couldn't be happier when I got my iPhone a year ago... and never did I think my experience would end so negatively. Both companies have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro