Cheapest way to get a replacement 3gs?

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
How much does it cost to buy a replacement 3GS?

Would it be cheaper to just cancel my service, pay the termination fee, and then sign up for a new phone all over again? Would AT&T allow that?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
In order to be considered a new customer and receive the new customer price, you have to cancel your account for longer than 6 months. This also means you will not be able to keep your same number. Easiest way? Buy off craigslist or eBay. Of course if the iPhone is just broken, you may be able to get Apple to replace it for $200-$300. If you insured it through your homeowners (as I've suggested) you can file a claim and pay the deductible if necessary. If you don't absolutely have to have the features of the 3GS, you can save a bit of money by buying a 3G on ebay or craigslist.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
In order to be considered a new customer and receive the new customer price, you have to cancel your account for longer than 6 months. This also means you will not be able to keep your same number. Easiest way? Buy off craigslist or eBay. Of course if the iPhone is just broken, you may be able to get Apple to replace it for $200-$300. If you insured it through your homeowners (as I've suggested) you can file a claim and pay the deductible if necessary. If you don't absolutely have to have the features of the 3GS, you can save a bit of money by buying a 3G on ebay or craigslist.

most insurance deductibles are the same cost as buying a new phone outright unless you pay enough for insurance to have no deductable coverage. Mine is $500. I would end up paying the entire cost of everything below a 16gb 3gs and even the 32b 3gs I would be paying 2/3 of the new cost.

I think you'll find insuring a cell phone to be cost prohibitive as well given the high risk of breaking, losing and stealing

it's worth noting there's a for sale section on these forums

Last edited:

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I went to an at&t store today and damn, the saleswoman who I talked to was ridiculous

I asked her how much it would be and she angrily responded, "The full price, it's like $700". I asked if there was any way if I could get the phone at a cheaper price. She told me to add on a second line. I told her I didn't want two lines and then I brought up the idea of canceling and then signing up new again. She then looked at me like I was asking her if I could sleep with her mother. I then had to get some education on and added up the termination fee, the registration fee, and the subsidized cost made it far, far cheaper than $700. She still wasn't convinced but she gave me the number to cancel the service.

Now if what you say is true that I have to wait 6 months, before I can get a subsidized price, well then that decides it for me then... no more iphone...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
What happened to the iPhone you have now?

You might be able to get out of warranty replacement from Apple for the subsidized price or just slightly more.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
most insurance deductibles are the same cost as buying a new phone outright unless you pay enough for insurance to have no deductable coverage. Mine is $500. I would end up paying the entire cost of everything below a 16gb 3gs and even the 32b 3gs I would be paying 2/3 of the new cost.

I think you'll find insuring a cell phone to be cost prohibitive as well given the high risk of breaking, losing and stealing

it's worth noting there's a for sale section on these forums

Not necessarily true. At least not for everyone. My iPhones are insured under a rider on my homeowner's insurance. My deductible? $0. It all depends on your agent but I had to play hardball (threaten to switch, etc...)

Even at $500 it's still cheaper than an outright 3GS from Apple and at least you know you're getting a legit phone instead of paying $500 on eBay and not knowing for sure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro