Would you switch carriers if they got the iphone?

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering how loyal people are to their carrier. After been on Bell since day one, I switched to Rogers to get the razer and didn't switch back.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I love my iPhone. That's the only reason I'm with ATT Wireless. So far, they are just okay. Not enough 3G areas.

But seeing as how Verizon will not ever get an iPhone, unless they switch to GSM, I won't switch to Verizon. And TMobile here in the US has only about a handful of cities with 3G coverage, which renders the iPhone useless. The iPhone on Edge is nothing more than a paperweight.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
In my area AT&T has very good 3G coverage so I am overall happy with them. They are infinitely better than Sprint and Tmo in my area. The only time I wish I had VZ is when I travel to more remote areas of the Southeast. VZ still has the best overall 3G coverage of anyone.

I would probably swithch to VZ IF they got the iPhone...BUT... ONLY if they did not cripple the WiFi and do all the other things they did to the new BBs.:mad: If they did that there would be no way that I would switch. I do not care if "you can hear me now?" or not.;)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I would probably stick with AT&T. They have good service all around me and I've never had a problem with them. I was going to go to AT&T anyway from Tmobile after school. It just happened that the iPhone came out at the same time. If the iPhone came out on Verizon it would also benefit me because I know millions would probably leave and go clog up Verizon's network and leave me with more free bandwidth to use.

fridayxiii

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
On one hand I'm w/Brickman: I'd consider switching to VZW if & only IF they didn't f**k up the iPhone like they have so many other handsets by locking down features. AT&T is good where I live (Tampa Bay, FL), but a few weeks ago I was just outside Columbus, OH, and much to my dismay could only get Edge data w/my iPhone. I wasn't out in the sticks, so I was expecting 3G. Suffering w/Edge is almost unbearable, so a wider range of 3G coverage would be nice.

But Sting also has a good point: w/so many people most likely jumping to VZW the AT&T network would suddenly become less congested. Another factor would be price of plans on VZW & my overall monthly cost. I'll worry more about it when it's truly a choice available to me.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
in my area, 3G is in my immediate area and most 'major' cities i frequent. however with all of the traveling i do throughout Illinois, i drop to Edge quite often. this is my ONLY gripe with AT&T at this point (only been with them since August).

having come from verizon and their BB service, verizon's coverage area is indeed better. but like mentioned before, their locking down GPS & WiFi, their crappy App Store, their plastering of "Verizon Wireless" on all their phones...these are major drawbacks.

i like AT&T, but i LOVE my iPhone. i'll go where it goes.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand the loyalty to carriers feeling, we pay them money. We are not getting their services for free, so why be loyal? If someone is offering me what I have now for less, or offering me more for the same price I would jump ship like a rat from a sinking ship. I've been with Bell, Rogers, Fido and Telus here in Canada. So I've been with almost all the carriers we have here. I am finally with Fido now because of all the pros and cons with each carrier I was with Fido had the best set of pros. Another positive when another carrier gets the phone is your carrier will then be forced to have more competitive plans. So I'm dying for Bell and Telus to get the Iphone, just to see what will happen to the current price of the Fido data plans.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
I don't understand the loyalty to carriers feeling, we pay them money. We are not getting their services for free, so why be loyal? If someone is offering me what I have now for less, or offering me more for the same price I would jump ship like a rat from a sinking ship. I've been with Bell, Rogers, Fido and Telus here in Canada. So I've been with almost all the carriers we have here. I am finally with Fido now because of all the pros and cons with each carrier I was with Fido had the best set of pros. Another positive when another carrier gets the phone is your carrier will then be forced to have more competitive plans. So I'm dying for Bell and Telus to get the Iphone, just to see what will happen to the current price of the Fido data plans.

i'm in this line of thinking. i've tried Sprint, Nextel, Verizon and now AT&T. they all had their goods and bads, but ultimately i wanted the iPhone. and AT&T is the only carrier to offer it. so i jumped on the bandwagon.

if another carrier offers the iPhone, great. i too agree a little competition is good. but if that carrier locks out features that AT&T offers then forget it. i'm happy if i stay, i'll be fine if i have to leave. the effect on me is trivial really.

i just want to be able to make calls, get email, send SMS, etc. if those things work, then i'm happy. if not, then i'll evaluate how much the iPhone means to me and decide whether or not to leave AT&T for another phone/carrier. it's all pretty simple really.

don't get me wrong, i LOVE my iPhone 3GS. but ultimately, it IS just a phone. we lived without all these Apps & GPS & Games for years before the smartphone. if i had to, i could go back to a vanilla phone. if i HAD to. :D

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I been with Tmo for a few years and have no issues with them BUT i wanted an iphone so bad so i bought one, unlocked and jb it so i can stay with Tmo

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
AT&T has never given me a reason to leave. I get good 3G service and have never had a dropped call. I think I'll stay until they give me a reason to leave.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has never given me a reason to leave. I get good 3G service and have never had a dropped call. I think I'll stay until they give me a reason to leave.

same here. but I will leave if this "heavy usage" crap comes about

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have no intention of leaving AT&T. If the other people want to leave, that's even better. It will free up more bandwidth for me. As far as heavy usage is concerned, I'd like to know what they consider heavy usage first. If they consider more than 2 gigs heavy, no issue for me. If they consider 100 megs heavy, they're morons. I only use about 500 megs a month at most.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I would not switch if this were to happen. but I HOPE IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. I like that the Iphones environment is locked down. when one doesn't jailbreak or install hacks for MMS or tethering or UNLOCk the phone it just works (mostly). both of mine have.

but open the phone up then we end up with app developers trying to develop for different platforms and carriers will get the power to allow and deny certain features. it gets all jumbled up and screws with the simplicity and streamline of the IPhone experience. Keep it simple stupid and keep it on one carrier.

there is already confusion happening in the jailbreak community. which one to use?...red snow blackrai1 purple that or another. quit messing with a good thing and be patient. Apple is slow but when it gets done it gets done better than right!

Last edited:

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I am at home with AT&T. I have no reason to switch. I have been with them for over a decade and have never had a problem. I live their service and their devices.

anon(22388)

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I am lucky that I live and work in an area where AT&T has good coverage. Having said that, I would switch only to Verizon if they start using the iPhone (and I would switch the day that it comes out).

AT&T is a places a distant second to Verizon. T-mobile isn't even worth talking about (they are a very distant third to AT&T).

I hope the next version of iPhone comes out on the Verizon network. I will gladly pay a little more for the better phone reception and broadband coverage.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
My priorities are

Local coverage
iPhone
US Coverage
Data
International coverage
Customer service
Fair business practices
Portability
Total cost of ownership

It would be hard for a non-GSM carrier to get my business. However, I think that AT&T's treatment of iPhone subscribers has been shoddy. Their local data coverage and service levels are good but very poor in many major destination cities. Not only have they not earned my loyalty, they have alienated me.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I have no intention of leaving AT&T. If the other people want to leave, that's even better. It will free up more bandwidth for me...................
I wish that I thought that others leaving AT&T might improve service levels. It seems highly unlikely that it would improve customer service or business practices.

iKittee

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I've been with AT&T since about 1997 (back in the days of Cingular).
I made the switch one time and that was to what was then the standalone Nextel network for the "walkie talkie" feature. I left as soon as my contract was up and came back to AT&T. Service levels were sub-par at best.

I want a reliable network and that's what I get here as I'm fortunate enough to live where there is good 3G coverage. That being said, I'll be relocating soon and the 3G coverage there is spotty at times and I'll mostly be on the EDGE network which has me concerned so we'll see. I love my iPhone but I also want a phone that works and does what I need it to do because first and foremost .. which is be a phone. We'll see.

Verizon is my other option however I've also heard both good and bad with them as well. It's all in who you talk too and what their story was.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
im pissed that a month after i got ATT, Tmo(my old company) decided to get the unlimited plans! shytttttttt i should have waited!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro