5.1 MMS working, what happens on 9/25?

gbourland

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
So this may have already been covered but I haven't been able to find any such post. So I updated to 5.1 carrier file. MMS works great here in az. But what happens on 9/25 will I check update through itunes and it change it for me? Would I have to revert back to 5.0? Just curious if anyone has thought of this or would have more insight than myself. THanks

Gabe.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
So this may have already been covered but I haven't been able to find any such post. So I updated to 5.1 carrier file. MMS works great here in az. But what happens on 9/25 will I check update through itunes and it change it for me? Would I have to revert back to 5.0? Just curious if anyone has thought of this or would have more insight than myself. THanks

Gabe.
It seems clear that instead of using a generalized control that turned off MMS for all iPhones, the 'steaming pile of failure' turned it off one account at a time. Right, Duvi?

Now it has to go back and turn them on one account at a time. In order to have everyone turned on by 9/25, they have to turn some on early. Will not surprise me if they do get everyone on time.

I will be very surprised if this one application is going to make the difference in its load that AT&T so fears. The ironic part of this is that MMS is metered, not included in "unlimited" data. AT&T has foregone revenue which it will never get back but will make pots full of money on MMS. In fact, SMS is such a rip-off that I use it only for emergencies.

Similarly, I do not think the other applications that it fears, e.g. tethering, Slingplayer, would make much of a difference either. There are simply too many applications for any one to move the load needle very much.

Courage! Courage, AT&T. The sky is not falling.

Last edited:

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
whmurray, I think what the OP meant was will the official update on the 25th over-write his non-official carrier file with the official one. I don't think he meant what will happen to AT&T's network.
I was wondering the same thing Gabe, i was thinking about doing a backup->reset->restore on my phone the night before, that way I'll have the original carrier file I'm supposed to have before the official push on the 25th; just be be safe.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
i was thinking about doing a backup->reset->restore on my phone the night before, that way I'll have the original carrier file I'm supposed to have before the official push on the 25th; just be be safe.

the carrier file is not backed up.

Dev-Team Blog - 3 • fun!

read the Baseband 101 section

I have a feeling the current baseband file is what's required by ATT for MMS to work.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
As far as I know the carrier file just gets replaced by new versions. So if the new version is 5.1 you might not get it since you already have a 5.1.

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know the carrier file just gets replaced by new versions. So if the new version is 5.1 you might not get it since you already have a 5.1.
but if i do a restet & restore, i should get the 5.0 that comes with OS 3.1 i think, then i can get the official 5.1 on the 25th. thats what i'm thinking

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
donblay, you could be correct as I haven't tried or know anyone that has. Just going my gut because, for example cannot downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0.

Let us know how it works out.

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
i'm not reverting from 3.1 to 3.0. i'm currently on 3.1 (which normally comes with carrier file 5.0) with a hacked 5.1 carrier file. if i do a reset to 3.1 again (save version i have) it should totally wipe out the iphone and put it back to the factory settings for 3.1; which should include 5.0 carrier file. then when i do a restore of my backup (backups do not back up the carrier file). i should have my iphone back to the way it was, but with the 5.0 carrier file its supposed to have.
make sense?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I was just using the 3.1 to 3.0 as an example of my thinking...

not saying you are going from 3.1 to 3.0, was just using that as an example. The carrier file is it's own update. Just saying it could possibly work the same way.

I also know that you can do some "crazy stuff" to downgrade iPhone firmware, but it's such a mess I just say you can't. Plus when you downgrade the modem software doesn't downgrade I believe and that can cause issues.

You will know soon enough what happens when they release the new carrier file. Who knows, it might be 5.5 and this argument won't make any difference.

cdudek

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I Was worried about the same thing. I restored my phone back to factory settings and then restored from backup....tada! Back to the 5.0 carrier file. The only problem was I had to put all my music back on which took some time. But yeah...it works. Now just waiting for the 25!!

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I Was worried about the same thing. I restored my phone back to factory settings and then restored from backup....tada! Back to the 5.0 carrier file. The only problem was I had to put all my music back on which took some time. But yeah...it works. Now just waiting for the 25!!

awesome, i thought it would work, but good to get some confirmation. i'll be doing that in a few days.
Thanks for letting us know it works

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods