Traveling to UK next month and

petaf

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to take my iphone 3G. AT&T quoted $24.99 for data (I just want to check CNN, etc.), and 5.99 for World Traveler service, on top of my usual enormous monthly fee. :eek: As I don't want any nasty surprises, does this sound correct? Thanks in advance!

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't want to give you bad information which leads to an overage (you will be utterly cannibalized by ATT if you go over) but 20MB may be enough if you are only going to be there for a week and you conserve. Consider that you can use all the data you want when at wifi hot spots. Also, using my iPhone a lot and without regard for conservation, I tend to use 500-600 MB (125-150MB/week) during a normal month. IF you only want to check CNN on occasion and do a little bit else, you would probably get by on 20MB. Just reset the data counter on your phone before you go so that you can monitor it and also you may want to scale back the frequency with which your iPhone will check for new email and push alerts. If you do those things you will surprise yourself with how little data you will use.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
yeah, turn all your email to manual, check apps that sync on startup and turn that off, and limit/turn off notifications.

when you get on wifi do lots of updates of email and apps and the like. plan for an hour per day (after lunch, dinner, whatever) to reply to email at a place with free wifi.

also, don't update a single app while overseas. you don't want to lose a critical app while away from your computer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner