Which prepaid US carrier for unlocked iPhone?

acunningham

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPhone 3GS. It's unlocked, so not tied to any carrier. I'll be visiting the US (San Francisco) for around two months. I'm looking for a carrier offering a prepaid voice (around 3 hours per month, mostly international) and data (around 100MB per month) package. Which carrier would you recommend?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Only two choices are AT&T and T-Mobile. AT&T is acknowledged to have better 3G data coverage. I had a prepaid account with them for about a year. Was generally pleased. Just went into an AT&T store to set it up. Gave them a credit card number. They automatically charged it each month. However, one does not need to set up the automatic charge; can do it manually. If I went over the max, could authorize extra charge over the phone. When I put the phone on a family plan, I just called them and they closed out the automatic debit. About as painless as it could be.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Not to worry. The issue here were people who were on a pre-pay plan that was not intended for iPhone data. Those who were on such a plan AND who updated to new software might have to change plans. It does not apply to any new contracts or subscriptions.

There is a plan intended for iPhone which will work fine. It is intended for people who did not get their phone from AT&T, did not get a discount from AT&T, and who do not require or want a long-term contract. This is the one that I was on until two weeks ago and which worked fine. Not to worry.

[Regular readers of this forum will recognize that I am not exactly an AT&T fan-boy. However, let's not make problems where there aren't any.]

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not to worry. The issue here were people who were on a pre-pay plan that was not intended for iPhone data. Those who were on such a plan AND who updated to new software might have to change plans. It does not apply to any new contracts or subscriptions.

There is a plan intended for iPhone which will work fine. It is intended for people who did not get their phone from AT&T, did not get a discount from AT&T, and who do not require or want a long-term contract. This is the one that I was on until two weeks ago and which worked fine. Not to worry.

[Regular readers of this forum will recognize that I am not exactly an AT&T fan-boy. However, let's not make problems where there aren't any.]

You're not a fan-boy?! Get outta here... :) What happened to heading off to Verizon??? ;)

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You're not a fan-boy?! Get outta here... :) What happened to heading off to Verizon??? ;)
I have my Verizon MiFi and my Verizon account. Routinely use them to "tether" my PCs and my iPhone to one another (e.g., Air Share, Air Mouse, iClicker) and to the Internet over Verizon/CDMA/3G. Have used them to do VoIP (Skype and TruPhone) over 3G cellular; looks to the iPhone as though the traffic is going via WiFi.

I am hoping for BT headset support from Skype or TruPhone (perhaps after 3.1 firmware); do not like having to hold the phone. Skype does support speakerphone but one would not want to use it in a public place.

Could give up AT&T altogether if Skype was a little better at handling incoming calls and voice mail. Perhaps soon.

Of course, even this expensive alternative to "the steaming pile of failure" does not permit MMS because the messaging functionality depends on cellular, never works over IP.

I am responding to you here because you raise the issue here. Perhaps you will wish to copy it to a more appropriate thread.

Last edited:

mcrobert

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Please give me a pointer to the plan you refer to. I can't find anything like that on the AT&T website.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Please give me a pointer to the plan you refer to. I can't find anything like that on the AT&T website.
Cannot do so. Cannot find it. However, I often have trouble finding things on the AT&T site so that does not prove anything. However, there was a post that said the plan had been discontinued.

I got on the plan when I tried to activate my first iPhone, purchased in an Apple Store. Because I have blocked access to my credit records, AT&T would only give me a "pre-paid" plan. I simply gave them a credit card number and they charged it automatically when I needed minutes. I liked the plan so well that I never bothered to change it. I remember that I kept it for that phone even after I got my second iPhone on a regular plan with a discount. I had to pay full price for my third.

It seems to me that such a plan is essential for dealing with exceptional cases. I suggest that you will have to go an AT&T store or talk to a rep and ask for a pre-paid plan for iPhone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner