AT&T fires up 850Mhz in Atlanta

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Is this part of the thing where they are "downgrading" EDGE and putting 3G on this frequency? Neat, hopefully get some better building penetration in big cities.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah definitely, I also think that ATT choose ATL first because Sprint just rolled out their 4G WiMAX network here about 2 weeks ago. I love competition.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
So this upgrade isn't giving you 7.2 yet? That would be really cool if it did. I'll be in Atlanta from the 19th to 24th this month, I'll have to see how the speeds compare to Miami.

Although, I did notice when I was in Atlanta for the 4th of July weekend my speeds were around 2.0 mbps download, a record for me. My high speed in Miami is about 1.5.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
There are no WiMax phones and there won't be one for a long time. IMO, WiMAX is a pointless investment. I get that it build off of wifi but it is not compatible existing GSM or even CDMA towers.
I spent 4 years at Nokia networks (NSN) and I can pretty much guarantee that LTE is the format to jump on. As ATT reinforces 3G with 850MHz towers.....it'll be backwards compatible whenever LTE 4G networks goes live.
BTW, ATT and Verizon(CDMA) have made investments towards LTE(thanks to data hungry iPhones, lol)....the future might start to look clearer.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
There are no WiMax phones and there won't be one for a long time. IMO, WiMAX is a pointless investment. I get that it build off of wifi but it is not compatible existing GSM or even CDMA towers.
I spent 4 years at Nokia networks (NSN) and I can pretty much guarantee that LTE is the format to jump on. As ATT reinforces 3G with 850MHz towers.....it'll be backwards compatible whenever LTE 4G networks goes live.
BTW, ATT and Verizon(CDMA) have made investments towards LTE(thanks to data hungry iPhones, lol)....the future might start to look clearer.

That's what I thought. Don't know why Sprint is pushing and saying they are bringing the first 4G network in their commercials like it's coming soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner