ATT WiFi Hotspots block most IM services

Can You Connect with IM Cients at ATT WiFi Hotspots in your area?

• Total voters

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Can some of you folks run some tests next time you are logged into an ATT Wifi HotSpot and report results here please?

I've found that IM+, Skype, and Fring can not connect when visiting my local StarBucks/ATT hotspot.

Further, I can't connect with Fring/IM+ to Google talk, or AIM or Yahoo messenger, and I never get Push Notifications from these Apps while on the Starbucks/ATT wifi.

IM+ will get "Connecting....." dialog forever when attempting to log in. The Skype app, will show no buddies, and you can't send IMs, and the Fring App shows everyone off line. This happens regardless of which IM system you are using, (I've tested Skype, GoogleTalk, Yahoo-Messenger, MSN-Messenger).

Skype protocol itself is pretty hard to block, as it is very good a firewall piercing. It does not use dedicated ports. About the only known way to block skype would mean that ATT would have to block just about all IP addresses of the Skype login servers. Blocking the other message service is easier.

If you switch off Wifi, and drop back to 3G, connections can be made and IMs sent with any of those Applications work.

And they will stay connected for a while after you turn WIFI back on.
But sooner or later, those Apps will try to hand off to WiFi, and you usually lose contact (silently).

I've talked with IM+ tech support about an option to lock IM+ to the 3G interface instead of jumping onto WiFi, and they said that might appear in a future release.

Note: This is only about text IMs, not Voice chats. I've only been able to test at two different ATT wifi locations in Washington State so far.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I hear your gripe, but whats the big deal about using just 3G data? I mean its unlimited and can certainly handle IM's, not like anything runs in the background on wifi, soooo, i understand your gripe, just dont understand why its bad?

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I hear your gripe, but whats the big deal about using just 3G data? I mean its unlimited and can certainly handle IM's, not like anything runs in the background on wifi, soooo, i understand your gripe, just dont understand why its bad?

Cuz when I wander in for a Latte and want to read the news or surf TiPb via WiFi for the speed, I am off line (HORRERS!).

Its hard to decide which is a tougher withdrawal, Caffeine, or IMs, or Surfing Speed. :confused:

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site

I'm with you on that one. Not crazy about the wifi drain either besides, here in Atlanta, 3G speeds are pretty incredible IMO. I use wifi strictly for apps requiring wifi.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Tried it at Starbucks this morning, but never received an replies...not sure if it was AT&T or my friends not responding...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2