Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Will AT&T help me out?

If I take my Jailbroke and unlocked 3G down to the At&T service center will they sell me a sim card and contract without a hassel?
    iMore Elite

2,967 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,878 Global Posts

They should, SIM cards are normally free though.

1,287 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,305 Global Posts

Technically they can charge you for a SIM, but when my g/f lost her iPhone 3G in NYC and had to go back to her old phone I went by a corporate store and they gave me a new SIM card for free.
    iPhone Intermediate

155 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

In order for you to get a SIM card, official AT&T policy is that you have to have a current AT&T account. Under no circumstances are they obligated to give you a SIM card if you don't have an account. If it were me, I wouldn't care. Just tell them you just need the sim card and are going to activate that sim card with customer service later. Tell them you are activating a new account and customer service needs you to have a new SIM card. Since there's no way for them to verify this you can get away with it. Since you already have a phone, there will be no contract involved at all.

If that doesn't pan out, retailers like Wal Mart and Radio shack can sell you a plain AT&T sim card for $26 with or without an account.

Keep in mind tho that just having a sim does not necessarily give you service