Verizon Blackberry Storm, should I switch?

alexcross

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Right now I'm rockin' the disappointing Blackberry Storm. I was one of the first in line the morning it came out, and have unsuccessfully tried to convince myself that it's a good phone ever since.

So, I'm currently considering switching to ATT and picking up an iphone. My best friend and my girlfriend both have the phone so I've had plenty of time with it and love it! The only hesitation is I that I hear Verizon has better tower/customer service.

Any advice?

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
My advice would be buy a cheap phone through AT&T to make sure you like the service. if you do and decide to keep AT&T, you can swap out the phone for the iPhone. This way if you don't like AT&T you don't have a 10% restock charge. Saw this answer the other day over at HoFo and it made sense. good luck! I was one of the ones who braved the 15 degree temps for 3 hours to come back to Verizon from the iPhone and needless to say, I went back with AT&T and the iPhone 3G and shortly after, forked out another $500 for the 3GS, in my opinion, well worth it :D

dbmet

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I had a Storm too and then Went to the Palm Pre, and had it a feeling it was going to be a storm experience all over again. Now I have the 3gs and love it..

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
same here dude. i switched from storm to 3GS this weekend and like others, i am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
now of course, there are certain things that i miss in my storm but let's not go there because the speed and efficiency of iphone (not to mention the amazing safari exp and out of the world UI) more than make up for it.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If your friend and girlfriend have it, do they have bad service? It seems as though this is an easy answer as you have members you know personally that can vouch for you.

Last edited:

alexcross

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
If your friend and girlfriend have it, do they have bad service? It seems as though this is an easy answer as you have members you know personally that can vouch for you.

Yea I talked to them both and they both said the only problems they have are a few dropped calls. I wanted to get a more broad answer by asking more people though, and wanted to know more about the customer service and to see if ATT is worse or better than Verizon!

I already know the Iphone is better than the Storm, but the phone service and customer service?

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I already know the Iphone is better than the Storm, but the phone service and customer service?

Truthfully as far as customer Service goes, I have encountered more rude CSR's at Verizon than I have at AT&T. In fact I had a simple question about my bill, and the CSR I spoke with from AT&T couldn't quite answer my question, so she gave me 1000 rollover minutes. I guess it was like playing stump the CSR, but everyone I have talked too has been great (from AT&T)

As far as the service, where I live (Northeast Ohio) Verizon is better as far as Cell service, but AT&T is so close a second place, that it does not bother me, and in fact, dropped calls have been very minimal, like maybe 1 to 2 a week

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
You will probably get dropped calls with most any service, I have friends on VZ and they get dropped calls from time to time. I have very good service where I live/work and rarely get dropped calls. I mostly get them when I drive in and out of 3G coverage.:confused:

My experience with AT&T CS has been very good. I had an issue with my bill. Can't remember what now, but they fixed it to my liking and have always been very helpful when I have called.

Of course being nice to them up front always helps you get your way also.;)

shawnluke

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
You will probably get dropped calls with most any service, I have friends on VZ and they get dropped calls from time to time. I have very good service where I live/work and rarely get dropped calls. I mostly get them when I drive in and out of 3G coverage.:confused:

My experience with AT&T CS has been very good. I had an issue with my bill. Can't remember what now, but they fixed it to my liking and have always been very helpful when I have called.

Of course being nice to them up front always helps you get your way also.;)

I agree any carrier is going to have dropped calls. I have had at&t for about 6 months now and have only experienced about 3 dropped calls the whole time. I live in Central Ohio and can honestly say that I had more dropped calls with Verizon!

I feel too that at&t customer service is pretty good! I have had to call them a couple of times and they have always been nice and willing to help.

However, I was with Verizon for 6 years and I felt their customer service was very poor. Sure the reps were nice but they could mess up a french fry order in my opinion. Others have had excellent csr service.

It's all in how you treat them when you call! If you call in screaming more than likely they aren't going to help you;)

fleury

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Yea I talked to them both and they both said the only problems they have are a few dropped calls. I wanted to get a more broad answer by asking more people though, and wanted to know more about the customer service and to see if ATT is worse or better than Verizon!

id also have to say at&t customer service is great. my old service was with sprint and they were a little on the rude side.
on a side note we were at radio shack looking for iphone accessories when one of the workers said "oh, an iphone." and ran back to get his storm. then he showed us everything we could do on our phones too. i wish so bad i would have said something to him. this guy was a total tool though. real cocky. I'm sorry to get off track here. :eek:

jhartman001

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I will tell you this, I have Verizon service right now and I just bought an iPhone 3GS to try out on AT&T. I received my iPhone today and haven't put the darn thing down yet. I've made several calls and the connections were clear and there were no drops. Messaging is great. It was so great in fact that I've already contacted all of the people in my address book with my new AT&T number.

The Blackberry Storm was a great idea but just not enough behind it. It constantly froze and as a coach I needed access to texts, emails and phone promptly. The Storm just wasn't cutting it. I too was hesitant about switching services but after using the iPhone I'm sold. I say make the switch. You won't regret it.

alexcross

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
You guys are being very helpful I appreciate all the replies, they're very enlightening! I'm just trying to research as much information as I can about ATT, my family has been with Verizon for 13 years so it would be a big deal switching.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
You guys are being very helpful I appreciate all the replies, they're very enlightening! I'm just trying to research as much information as I can about ATT, my family has been with Verizon for 13 years so it would be a big deal switching.

You can ask around, but it is worth the possible $20 restocking fee and some plan usage to just go get one and test it out. I don't necessarily agree that you can get just any cheap phone to test ATT's network - you need to test the iPhone itself and 3G data on it is important to the overall experience. And your going to pay for data whether you use it or not, so you might as well make sure you can get it. I tried one back in March and the service was horrible. Cost me around $38 total to try it for a week. I read in other forums that the network was better now in Austin and decided to try the 3GS. So far, the network is 1000% better than what I had 3 months ago.

IMO though, it is probably not going to be as dependable as VZW overall.

I had the Storm for 2 weeks, a Touch Pro for 3 months and I took my Palm Pre back today. If ATT works for you......;)

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Dude! It's an IPhone! Just do it!

Unless you can't live without MMs or background miltitasing of third party apps.

I can. And I absolutely love this phone!!!

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

I live in a suburb of Atlanta and have had AT&T for 8ish years. I've never had an issue with dropped calls until recently. I think they are doing some tower changes (upgrades, maybe?) as the coverage seems to be changing (places that used to be Edge are now 3G and places I used to have full Edge coverage I seem to have low 3G coverage, etc). Nothing terrible, though.

I've always had very nice AT&T CSR, though. Even when I'm calling and obnoxiously asking for ways to upgrade to a 3GS early;)

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i too was (sadly, still am until august :() a BB owner on Verizon. my biggest fear was not having phone reception inside my home. but luckily my friend had a 1st Gen iPhone and even it had great reception in my house. so that sold me.

i can deal with dropped calls from time to time. my area is growing exponentially and is nearly 200K in population. 3G is here (or right around the corner) nearly everywhere i go. so i'm not really worried about switching to AT&T anymore.

Verizon was reliable, but the iPhone just has too much going for it for me to stick with my Curve 8330. i rarely talk on the phone anymore. it's email, text & apps for me! hope your transition from BB to iPhone is seamless. good luck!

newyork_1

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I was worried about the same thing when i switched form Verizon. I'm not sure where you are located but here in Manhattan I've had great coverage so far.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
This has also been one of my concerns. I have been with VZW since they were Bell Atlantic. I am concerned about the service compared to what I am used to. I have never had a problem with my service, from the pocono mountains to upstate new york. Will I be as pleased with ATT? Only time will tell.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
I was worried about the same thing when i switched form Verizon. I'm not sure where you are located but here in Manhattan I've had great coverage so far.

i'm in central IL. about 2 hours south of chicago. descent coverage all up and down the interstates. i'm far from any remote areas. so my only concern is when traveling with my job from little town to little town. most places like that say (oh, you won't have any service here if you have AT&T). never got that with Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh