iPhone 3GS and O2

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Like other 3G owners, I'm facing the problem of either paying over ?300 to end my contract early or waiting until at least Christmas to get a 3GS. This is further complicated by the fact that I got my 2G from O2 and then my 3G via Carphone Warehouse so my online account isn't correct (I originally thought I'd be able to get away with getting a 3GS on 17th June). Fortunately, O2 is allowing MMS under the same conditions as their other contracts - 1 MMS uses up 4 messages out of your monthly allowance and once you've reached your monthly limit, you get charged the same as anyone else.

Tethering, on the other hand, is proving to be a rather bitter pill for some O2 customers. In theory, all iPhone contracts have unlimited data but the small print talks about a "fair usage" policy (without saying what that entails). They will allow tethering on the iPhone but only if we buy "data bolt-ons" at a minimum cost of ?15 (about $23) a month so our data is definitely not unlimited!

While I have a certain amount of technical knowledge, I don't know how they can tell the difference between connecting directly from the phone or using it as a modem. Maybe it's something really obvious but if anyone can enlighten me, I'd be very grateful.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I am on Orange network. I will be paying through the nose to escape my contract (ditching Blackberry 8900) to move to O2 in a week or so to get a 3GS.

I would top myself if Orange announce they are doing the iPhone in a few months time..!!

On a cheery note we get tethering and MMS right away.. While folks in the US have a miserable wait...

I wonder if O2 will have faster (the fastest) network speeds?

Anyone know?

I can't tell the diff between getting it from Carphone warehouse or from O2 directly..

Anyone know?

Anyhow - all very exciting..

Hope I am not hijacking this thread..

Last edited:

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Wow!

O2's operators dont know anything about the phone.:mad:

I prefer Carphone wharehouse....

I think I will let the dust settle to see if it makes a difference who to get it from.

I cant tell the difference between the two companies and wonder if certain tariff bundles are exclusive to one or the other? (like tethering)

I like the CPW store people - they are upbeat, dont try to shaft you and will be on your side, not the networks...;)

I may have answered my own question ...:rolleyes:

But who would YOU get yours from? And why?

OK I just paid this to escape my Orange contract and get a PAC code.

?508 ($836.683 USD)

OUCH!

Last edited:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
It seems that Carphone Warehouse are trying to help 3G owners upgrade by offering a ?170 trade-in for 2G iPhones or ?180 for 3G but that's still not enough to tempt me. As people are already speculating about another new iPhone in 2010, I might just wait for that as there aren't that many extras in the new hardware. Sure, I'd like to talk to my phone but a few screen taps doesn't slow me down that much (although it would be useful if I'm walking down the street). Hopefully, by this time tomorrow I'll be exploring all the new goodies in the 3.0 software.
It'll be quite interesting to see what the take up is in the UK for the 3GS - maybe Apple will increase its number of fan boys!!

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
It seems that Carphone Warehouse are trying to help 3G owners upgrade by offering a ?170 trade-in for 2G iPhones or ?180 for 3G

That sounds better news than I have heard from the US so far..

Looks like it might be that CPW - cant offer the business tariffs and O2 can.

Is that correct?

Last edited:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
If I got an iPhone from CPW (like my 3G) I would get the same tarrifs as O2 are offering as the iPhone is still only available on O2. The only difference seems to be, O2 don't get updated information from CPW until you ask about upgrading which is why my online account had an incorrect renewal date.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I think this just went on line a few minutes ago!

I am struggling to understand if the 700 is anytime minutes (IE all phones, normal rate (home & office) land lines and cell phones of if calls to cell phones really is this expensive...?

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I've been an O2 customer for many years and the minutes in my calling plan are anytime minutes. It's certainly very useful if I know I need to make a long call to a landline, I've got free calls anytime on my landline plan but each call can only be about an hour so I have to hang up and redial. I've never made a call that lasted 10 hours but it's good to know I don't have to clock watch if I call from my iPhone.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been an O2 customer for many years and the minutes in my calling plan are anytime minutes. It's certainly very useful if I know I need to make a long call to a landline, I've got free calls anytime on my landline plan but each call can only be about an hour so I have to hang up and redial. I've never made a call that lasted 10 hours but it's good to know I don't have to clock watch if I call from my iPhone.

Thanks v much, but look at the 2nd screen shot (post 42 on page 1) and let me know if the situation you describe looks clear to you on it! (please)

Anytime to me = 0207 0208 + all mobiles

Last edited:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
It looks exactly the same as my contract so I'm very confident that the minutes are any time. I do remember one of my early contracts (about 15 years ago) that gave you either reduced rate or free calls to numbers that were in adjacent area codes to me but all my calls to land lines are included in my calling plan. I guess if you want to be 100% certain you need to speak to O2 directly so that they can confirm this for you. Hope this helps :)

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Not sure, I had a bad experience with insurance through 3 mobile in the past. I paid for the insurance but when my handset was stolen they refused to send a letter to the insurance company confirming that I owned the handset even though they were still billing me every month. A friend of mine has just bought her first BB and has chosen to put it on her house insurance as there's a better chance of getting money/replacement if it's lost or stolen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73