Just bought an iphone 3g from a friend what do I do now?

crativeboy

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
I recently bought an iphone 3g from a friend who switched sim cards to use on his new palm treo instead. I asked him whether I should unlock the phone first before I use a att pre paid plan on it. He didn't know the answer. I have two questions:

1. Do I necessarily need to unlock the iphone first before I can put in a new att sim card for pre paid service?

2. Since my friend removed the sim card from the iphone and put it in his new phone could I just insert my new sim into the phone and start using it without accidently charging my friend's bill?

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought an iphone 3g from a friend who switched sim cards to use on his new palm treo instead. I asked him whether I should unlock the phone first before I use a att pre paid plan on it. He didn't know the answer. I have two questions:

1. Do I necessarily need to unlock the iphone first before I can put in a new att sim card for pre paid service?

2. Since my friend removed the sim card from the iphone and put it in his new phone could I just insert my new sim into the phone and start using it without accidently charging my friend's bill?

No you don't need to unlock it. The Iphone is an att phone.

Yes you can insert your sim card as it is tied to your account and your account only.

You may need to make sure the phone (contact att) doesn't use the internet unless it is connected to Wi-Fi otherwise be prepared to pay for a 30/month iphone data plan.

crativeboy

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
No you don't need to unlock it. The Iphone is an att phone.

Yes you can insert your sim card as it is tied to your account and your account only.

You may need to make sure the phone (contact att) doesn't use the internet unless it is connected to Wi-Fi otherwise be prepared to pay for a 30/month iphone data plan.

Is the iphone my friend sold me still tied to his account as he just switched the sim card out and put it into his palm treo? I am planning to use att pre paid cards (pay as you go) with it b/c i heard from others that it is possible. Will inserting my sim card into the iphone be legal?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I think to use it prepaid, you going to have to jailbreak and unlock. The 3G's baseband can only be downgraded if you have a certain bootloader. If you are on 2.2 FW you can unlock with yellowsnw, if you are on 2.2.1 you can try fuzzyband to downgrade your baseband, if your bootloader is 5.08 it should work and you can downgrade the baseband and unlock with yellowsnw, if your bootloader is 5.09 you will not be able to downgrade basebands (if you need to).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2