Extra $5 for 200 text messages on iPhone 3G???

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
I havent seen much talk on this but...

My current AT&T iphone plan costs $20 for unlimited data and 200 text messages. I understand that the 3G plan will cost $30. But I dont know if the new 3G plan will include 200 text messages like the current plan does. I have seen a price of $5 to add 200 text messages. So... Does this mean that changing to the new iphone 3G from the original iphone and keeping 200 text messages will cost an extra $15/month, not the previosly advertised $10 extra month? Lets see.... $15 * 24 = $360 over two years....

-Scott

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
So.... yet another hidden cost. I am surprised there isnt much talk of this. Makes the "reduced" price of an iphone 3G seem less attractive to an upgrader. Cost of upgrade over 2 years = $200 (phone) + $360 (3G data plan + 200 text meassages) = $560 (200 messages used to be included). $560 for GPS and 3G for 2 years? Thats over $23 a month extra for GPS and 3G (and a plastic back for the phone and shorter battery life). Worth it? I guess it depends on the person, but it is becoming less and less attractive for me. Seems very sneaky to me...

-Scott

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider it a "hidden cost". At least not in the way you do.

All other phone plans require the additional cost for text messaging. I currently have a Treo (and will be getting the new iPhone), and I pay $5 for 200 messages.

The only difference is that previously iPhone users got a break.

Is it a way to make more money for ATT? Absolutely. Could they have continued the plan with $20, including 200 messages? Certainly. But all they are doing is really bringing the iPhone in line with their other smartphones/PDA's.

But as I said, since I am not an existing iPhone user, maybe I have a different outlook. After all, I am going to switch to an iPhone, and my charge for text messages and data are going to remain the same.

Chris

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
So.... yet another hidden cost. I am surprised there isnt much talk of this. Makes the "reduced" price of an iphone 3G seem less attractive to an upgrader. Cost of upgrade over 2 years = $200 (phone) + $360 (3G data plan + 200 text meassages) = $560 (200 messages used to be included). $560 for GPS and 3G for 2 years? Thats over $23 a month extra for GPS and 3G (and a plastic back for the phone and shorter battery life). Worth it? I guess it depends on the person, but it is becoming less and less attractive for me. Seems very sneaky to me...

-Scott

Scott....I have been thinking about this, and I think I have a way that you can resolve the issue that you have and really stick it to AT&T at the same time.

You might consider not buying the phone.

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
That price is outrageous, with sprint text is included with their every 69.99 plan, but if that's what it cost for me and my iphone to be together, I will just cut back on cable to make up the difference. Get rid of dvr and use media center to record tv shows.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
But as I said, since I am not an existing iPhone user, maybe I have a different outlook. After all, I am going to switch to an iPhone, and my charge for text messages and data are going to remain the same.

Chris

Yes, of course. This is the point of my post, to weigh additional costs vs features for someone who is upgrading from the original iPhone.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
Scott....I have been thinking about this, and I think I have a way that you can resolve the issue that you have and really stick it to AT&T at the same time.

You might consider not buying the phone.

Certainly. That is the whole point of me starting this discussion. To try to decide if I want to buy the new phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider it a "hidden cost". At least not in the way you do.

All other phone plans require the additional cost for text messaging. I currently have a Treo (and will be getting the new iPhone), and I pay $5 for 200 messages.

The only difference is that previously iPhone users got a break.

Is it a way to make more money for ATT? Absolutely. Could they have continued the plan with $20, including 200 messages? Certainly. But all they are doing is really bringing the iPhone in line with their other smartphones/PDA's.

Chris

Exactly what I've said from the start. People need to stop complaining about the change of plan. All that at&t did was change the plan to be equal to all of their smartphone plans and blackberry plans. If that is too much or the person just thinks it is too much then I say don't buy it. That's what we get since people wanted a cheaper phone. Me personally I wish they kept the prices high and let me activate at home with the same plan... but... people wanted a cheaper phone... that's what we get. :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I predict sales of this phone won't be impacted by this "yet-another-hidden-cost" thinking at all.

I agree. I don't think that $10 a month is not going to make someone who really wants this phone or upgrade to this phone not want it. Not if someone who doesn't know much about it or is casually shopping for a phone. Possibly it may change their mind.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
If, by "hidden cost," you mean "standard cost," then you're right. :cool:

No, I dont mean standard cost. ;)

This is not a standard cost for people like me who already have an iphone.
I'm taking the POV of an upgrader, cause that's what I am.

When you see all the advertising from AT&T and Apple, all you see is IPHONE PRICE CUT IN HALF TO $199!!!

Then it just adds on from there for upgraders. First it is $10 more a month for 3G, which is expected. Then +$5 for text messages. No where do I see in thier advertising: NOW PAY AN EXTRA $5 FOR 200 TEXT MESSAGES!!. or MONTHLY PLANS START AT $70! Its buried in a web page somewhere. What % of upgraders waiting in line on Friday will know that they are now signing up for $60/year for text messaging that they got for free before? Of course you dont have to sign up for text messaging, and just pay $0.20 per text.

Quite simply, I'm just looking to see how much it will cost me to have the same text messages on the new iphone. Its an extra $15 a month plus the cost of the phone.

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
I predict sales of this phone won't be impacted by this "yet-another-hidden-cost" thinking at all.

Most upgraders wont even realize that they have to pay for the new messages. So, yeah it probably wont affect sales.

You shoud at least be aware of it though.

I am just trying to understand what I am paying for, and be an educated consumer.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Most upgraders wont even realize that they have to pay for the new messages. So, yeah it probably wont affect sales.

You shoud at least be aware of it though.

I am just trying to understand what I am paying for, and be an educated consumer.

I could care less of the 200 text messages disappearing... I pay for unlimited... :cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711