Possible way around $30 data plan??

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I posted this in yesterdays wait a thon but I'm wondering what other people think of this idea. Ok so let's say I buy a 3G iPhone activate it change my plan from the current iPhone rate plan to the new more expensive $30 data plan with no txt messages then take my old iphone and reactivate it as if saying the new iPhone didnt work out for me I want to go back to the old iPhone. So now Im paying only $20 a month for data and txt messages but instead of using my old iPhone I switch my sim card from the old iPhone to the 3G iphone. Do you think that will work?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I posted this in yesterdays wait a thon but I'm wondering what other people think of this idea. Ok so let's say I buy a 3G iPhone activate it change my plan from the current iPhone rate plan to the new more expensive $30 data plan with no txt messages then take my old iphone and reactivate it as if saying the new iPhone didnt work out for me I want to go back to the old iPhone. So now Im paying only $20 a month for data and txt messages but instead of using my old iPhone I switch my sim card from the old iPhone to the 3G iphone. Do you think that will work?

Sorry that will not work... nice try though. ;)

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Sorry that will not work... nice try though. ;)

Why dont you think it will work? I did a similar thing with my treo 750 where I went to AT&T website and selected my Phone as a samsung sync then added the mediamax data plan to my account and it worked just fine even after everyone at at&t told me I "needed" the PDA connect plan for data. I realize there are some differences here but its still the same basic concept.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Why dont you think it will work? I did a similar thing with my treo 750 where I went to AT&T website and selected my Phone as a samsung sync then added the mediamax data plan to my account and it worked just fine even after everyone at at&t told me I "needed" the PDA connect plan for data. I realize there are some differences here but its still the same basic concept.

Have you ever tried putting another At&t sim card in a current iPhone? If you do you will get a "Invalid Sim" message on the screen. I tried it a while back with my friends Tilt. My sim worked in his phone no problem but his in my iPhone did not. Trust me I was thinking like you were... too bad it just doesn't work.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
ASH is right, it will not work. I tried my Curve SIM in an iPhone I bought off eBay and it chocked. However, before I sold my first iPhone on eBay (don't ask, I just had to get upgrade eligible) since I had owned it and it had been activated on my account, my Curve SIM would work in either phone (just lost visual voicemail is all).

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Right I get that a non iPhone sim won't work in the iphone but what about switching sims from an iPhone to an iphone? Because hats what you would be doing. Does anyone out there have two actvated iPhones that can try switching the sim cards and see what happens. Probably won't work but just want to see what happens :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Right I get that a non iPhone sim won't work in the iphone but what about switching sims from an iPhone to an iphone? Because hats what you would be doing. Does anyone out there have two actvated iPhones that can try switching the sim cards and see what happens. Probably won't work but just want to see what happens :)

Will not work.

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I believe it will not work because the 3G protocols will not be activated, but if you have the money, why don't you give it a try? The worst that can happen is that you have to eat the bill at the same price that everyone else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2