Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

5 Posts

Default AT&T Upgrade Info - Take with grain of salt

I stopped by my local store and inquired about upgrading to the Iphone 3g when it comes out. I told the store manager that I had heard several different versions of the process, some indicating I would not be in line for an upgrade, some indicating I would be.

He told me that he wasn't 100% sure yet and that they had a store meeting scheduled to cover that topic tomorrow morning. He did say that the best indication he had to this point was that everyone would be able to upgrade for "the first few days" at the low prices ($199 and $299) and after that it would be treated like any other phone with a much higher price for people not scheduled for an upgrade.

Like I said, take it with a grain of salt, but it is what I was told.
    iPhone Newbie

14 Posts

Exclamation A talk with Business Customer Service

When I first heard for the 3G Iphone release date I started to call Business Customer Service for AT&T since I am a business customer. After asking the representative about a possible upgrade since I am not eligible for another 6 months she put me on hold to check with a supervisor and once she came back on the line she told me that the new 3G Iphone will have to be activated as previous posted (in store) but she also told me that everyone would be eligible for an upgrade to the 3G Iphone similar to the first generation. Of course she told me in the same breath that i would need a qualified calling package and a 30 per month fee for the Iphone would also be needed for the data plan.
    iPhone Intermediate

316 Posts

I really wish that AT&T and Apple could be more clearer about upgrade eligibility and prices. I could see a lot of disappointed faces in line for the 3G iPhone when they found out that they are not eligible yet.
    iPhone Newbie

26 Posts

Yes, it's incredibly frustrating that they have yet to release any official information about this whole pricing shenanigan. Couldn't they have got all their information straight before announcing a release date? I seriously think all this hooplah is an intentional act so that consumers and fanboys will gossip till the cows come home b/c let's face it people, they want the phone to be hyped up as much as possible, bad publicity or not. Look how much controversy it's caused across all these websites such as the apple discussion forum, the att apple forum, here and I'm sure hundreds of other places on the net. I don't own a first generation iPhone so I don't really know if a similar thing went on before its release. They still have plenty of time to release something. I check everyday to see if they've said anything new but so far it's been a hodgepodge of speculation and rumor. Oh and lots of conflicting information given to us by these UNinformed CSR's. Grrr!!! I can't stop being antsy until I have that phone in my hands =)
    iPhone Beginner

54 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

I just called to inquire about upgrading a coupe days ago, My upgrade availability date is in August of this year, and I asked if I could go ahead and upgrade on July 11th. (about 3 weeks early)The CS told me that I could upgrade, but I would not be able to get the iphone for the discounted price. I told her that Cingular / ATT has always let me upgrade a month or 2 before my actual date, she agreed, but informed me that the iphone upgrade was a whole different story, they couldn't budge on the dates with it.

I might go into the store after the big rush is over, and see if they will work with me, but it doesn't sound like they can do much. O well, I guess at least it will only be a 3 week wait, better than a year i suppose.

Has anyone had any luck with being able to upgrade before their actual assigned date?