Should outgoing text messages be visible on the screen?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Many of us have vehicles with CarPlay support, and we really like it. Having said that, that doesn't mean there aren't things we'd like to see added and/or improved upon. For me, I'd like to see messages that I've composed visible on the screen. Should Apple incorporate such an option?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree that there are times when I would like to see the messages on the screen especially when Siri mangles the pronunciation of words. :)

Having said that, I'm guessing that the safety watchdogs would not want to encourage reading the screen. And yes, this is despite the fact that there are already plenty of things that we are reading in our vehicles already.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that there are times when I would like to see the messages on the screen especially when Siri mangles the pronunciation of words. :)

Having said that, I'm guessing that the safety watchdogs would not want to encourage reading the screen. And yes, this is despite the fact that there are already plenty of things that we are reading in our vehicles already.

I agree that safety is problem the primary reason Apple didn't incorporate it. They want our eyes on the road as much as possible, and I get that. Still, on occasion, my car will repeatedly emit an alert causing me to search the driver info center and CUE system looking for the culprit just to discover that the car detected the groceries I had in the front passenger seat and was alerting me that the seatbelt hadn't been engaged. (Laughing)

Last edited:

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Ha.

And I believe that studies have shown the hand-free is not much (if any) less distracting than having the device in your hand. It's the inattention of the activity that is the real issue.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree that safety is problem the primary reason Apple didn't incorporate it. They want our eyes on the road as much as possible, and I get that. Still, on occasion, my car will repeatedly emit an alert causing me to search the driver info center and CUE system looking for the culprit just to discover that the car detected the groceries I had in the front passenger seat and was alerting me that the seatbelt hadn't been engaged. (Laughing)

You must have a BMW That sound drives me nuts I'd love to see some alerts spelled out on the screen but you know someone would sue Apple because they were reading a text and got in an accident

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You must have a BMW That sound drives me nuts I'd love to see some alerts spelled out on the screen but you know someone would sue Apple because they were reading a text and got in an accident

(Laughing)....it drives me crazy, too. As for my car, I have a 2016 Cadillac CTS. I was actually going to get the Mercedes E300, but my ex-sister-in-law (who works for a Cadillac dealership) gave me a deal I couldn't pass up.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Completely agree with OP!! Just got a new 2017 Ford Escape with CarPlay and the text thing I noticed right away!! Thought something was wrong or broken. I ended up not sending the text and typing it in on my phone - which is actually LESS safe. I'm sure others will do the same.

A big MISS for Apple to not allow a quick written preview on responses. I get the voice thing for minimizing driver distraction, but c'mon!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
(Laughing)....it drives me crazy, too. As for my car, I have a 2016 Cadillac CTS. I was actually going to get the Mercedes E300, but my ex-sister-in-law (who works for a Cadillac dealership) gave me a deal I couldn't pass up.

Ooooh....nice car I love a good deal🤤

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree with OP!! Just got a new 2017 Ford Escape with CarPlay and the text thing I noticed right away!! Thought something was wrong or broken. I ended up not sending the text and typing it in on my phone - which is actually LESS safe. I'm sure others will do the same.

A big MISS for Apple to not allow a quick written preview on responses. I get the voice thing for minimizing driver distraction, but c'mon!

Honestly hands free is just as distracting as physically texting. In both cases you aren't paying attention. Emergency departments see just as many accidents with hands free as they do with people actually using the device.

IMO...I don't think it's a miss for them, it's just inconvenient for us. People sue Apple all the time because they want someone else to take responsibility for their actions. I feel like Apple dodged a huge bullet by not allowing this. Although I hate that it's not available, I do understand.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I get it and I'm getting used to the dictated iMessage. But I don't use it often as I agree with you in that hands-free is still distracted driving.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73