Google Maps and CarPlay

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You think we'll ever see Google Maps on CarPlay? Or is Apple too invested in Apple Maps to make that happen?

Perhaps a better question - would you rather use Google Maps or Apple Maps via CarPlay?

taeisme

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
You think we'll ever see Google Maps on CarPlay? Or is Apple too invested in Apple Maps to make that happen?

Perhaps a better question - would you rather use Google Maps or Apple Maps via CarPlay?

I would prefer google maps because Apple maps give bad directions at times. I am really hoping for Waze, that would make my day.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Right there with you, wish google maps was supported. I just came from android and the only thing i miss is using Google maps in android auto, apple maps is fine (looks nicer to boot) but google just works a little better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I've last used Google Maps because Apple Maps have benefitted me quite well. Furthermore, although my car supports both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, it also has an in-dash navigation system, and I use it for my navigational needs. Anyway, to answer your question, I would prefer to use Apple Maps with CarPlay. Some things need to stay proprietary, in my opinion.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I prefer using Google Maps because it (currently) has a better visual look especially the depiction of traffic. It's very easy to tell where the traffic is heavy and where there are incidents. Since Google bought Waze, the traffic in Google Maps is updated quickly and is very accurate. I also have tons of locations save in Google Maps which are visually "starred" on the map which makes them easy to locate.

However, since my new truck has CarPlay, I have been getting used to using Apple Maps, and I have to say that it has performed quite well. The traffic information is there as well (not sure what traffic source is used) and I have even had it (accurately) re-route me around traffic to save time. I'm not particularly fond of the way Apple Maps has your "Favorite" locations saved. And the fact that they are at the bottom of a long list of places for which you have searched seems backwards to me. (Yes, I know that the searched location can be deleted and I do that, but to me, the Favorites should be at the top.) The visual experience of Apple Maps could be improved a bit (strange for an Apple app to have to say that) but overall, I have actually had a good experience with it.

If Google Maps were to come to CarPlay, I would probably use it because of the number of locations and such that I have already saved in it. It remains to be seen whether or not it would perform as well (or better) than Apple Maps in that regard.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple Maps still has a little ways to go to catch up to Google, in my opinion. Google Maps offers some features still lacking in Apple Maps like lane guidance and, as @SwitchBeach already mentioned, traffic navigation is better with Google Maps. I particularly like how it will display different turn options along a route and show real-time differences in travel time. Google Maps also generally does a better job suggesting alternative routes mid-trip based on changing traffic conditions.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the difference is Apple maps isn't available for Android, but Google Maps and Waze are available for iOS. I would love to see Waze on CarPlay. I switch between Android and Apple (and Windows) quite frequently. I am looking at a new radio for my truck that has Android Auto and CarPlay. Would be nice to be able to use Waze on either so it would work regardless of the phone I am carrying at the time, obviously with the exception of Windows. I believe Waze is currently in testing for Android Auto, so it isn't officially available there yet either.

InTheRed

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Waze is officially available on Android Auto (finally). I'm hoping it makes it to CarPlay, but I'm not really holding my breath.

I’d love it too. I’m going to give Apple maps a try on my commute to work for about a week... if I can stomach it that long. We shall see... I guess.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711