CarPlay and Multitasking

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For all the CarPlay users out there (myself included!), was wondering what your Multitasking experience has been like so far? For me, no problems at all, but I'm probably not as hardcore a user as some.

When incoming messages come in, I'm taken to the messages app to reply by voice if I like, and can easily return to any previous app (map for directions, etc.)... but personally, I'd LOVE to see some sort of split screen feature that'd allow for more than one app on the screen at one time.

Might need a bigger screen for that, but still, is something I'd love to see.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Good point. Apps. I think I have maybe 9 compatible apps. That's it. Although, I have no need to play Mario Run in my vehicle, so no worries :p

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I think the issue with split screens is the unwillingness of certain car manufacturers to release their control on the upsale. It is kind of like Apple's lockdown / control of the App Store, iOS, etc.. If all the car manufacturers aren't going to go along with the change then it won't happen for a while.

Apple's best play is it's long game.. they need to get CarPlay into as many models as possible as an integrated offering. Once they are in the market then they can look to distinguish themselves.. but until then I don't see it being much more than an additional offering that is caught up within the automaker's implementation of the entertainment system.

Outside of messaging and voice commands (long vs short press) - it still feels like two separate solutions that can interact on the same device. I can play XM radio over Apple Maps but I honestly find Apple Maps a distant option for me. My car manufacturers Nav is incredibly slick and for some reason I find Apple Maps inaccurate compared to Google Maps in many of the states I travel (CT, MA, NC, SC, TN, TX).

It will continue to improve which is awesome - but I think the split screen type of offering is more dependent on car manufacturers rather than Apple. Apple could probably already pull it off - but building one platform is better than attempting to customize experiences (personally I will always feel like Apple is about consistency and standards vs. Google that is about custom / slick options).

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple is going to have to be extremely clever to continue developing carplay, because a driver can only look at the display safely for a handful of glances. They simply cannot support that many apps, hence the heavy reliance on Siri.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
What if they built a proprietary heads up display? Or worked with OEMs to build them?

Honestly, I don't think HUD is good enough. The fact is, this is a public safety issue. Your safety and mine depend on it. I wouldn't expect any of the following
  • Multitasking
  • A keyboard
  • iOS style multitasking
Until cars drive themselves, Apple will likely do the right thing and focus on technologies that can be utilized in concert with looking at the road.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR