@juststart - well that would be frustrating. Wish I could help, I haven't experienced those issues on my side
    no worries! it's a great feature when it works!
    02-15-2017 09:51 AM
    I have it in my 2017 escape. Only time I use it, it's for maps and it's not very often. I don't like to have my phone plugged in if I don't have to, and I prefer the sync3 interface.
    03-14-2017 07:56 PM
    Hi all,

I am new to iPhone, and one the reasons I wanted to get an iPhone was for CarPlay. But now that I am reading more about it, it appears the functionality is not quite there. The biggest issue is Apple restricting 3rd party maps apps from using it. But beyond that, none of the apps I need are supported, so CarPlay is more or less useless to me.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make this a viable feature that people can actually use?
    03-16-2017 10:31 AM
    I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-16-2017 06:21 PM
    I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.
    That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.
    SwitchBeach likes this.
    03-16-2017 07:09 PM
    That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.
    Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-16-2017 08:01 PM
    Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.
    I agree....
    03-16-2017 08:06 PM
    I LOVE CARPLAY! I still use Google Maps, but Spotify and Podcasts are so amazing. And the call clarity is excellent!
    03-16-2017 11:23 PM
    This is dependent on implementation of the entertainment system. My new vehicle came with CarPlay that works as long as WIFI is enabled. It looks like older implementations required the physical plug.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-20-2017 09:57 AM
    @Fable @Just_Me_D - Agreed... wish mine was wireless as well. Have to plug in. Will have to check out some of the newer units!!
    Fable likes this.
    03-21-2017 03:52 PM
    @Fable @Just_Me_D - Agreed... wish mine was wireless as well. Have to plug in. Will have to check out some of the newer units!!
    As stated by Switchbeach, plugging it in isn't bad, especially being that I have outlets all over the place in my car......Still, wireless CarPlay would be great, in my opinion.
    Fable likes this.
    03-21-2017 04:43 PM
36 12