Wireless Carplay

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It’s probably a combination of both. However, at this early stage in the game, I would have to "see" it work before I purchased anything.

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that the phone needs to be able to send the feed, and the head unit will need to be able to accept the feed.

I also think that sure, on the surface this seems cool, but what is the battery drain going to be sending video through wireless to the unit? Sure, on a 10-20 min drive, it likely wont make that big of an impact, or if you are the type to work in an office, and can just plug your phone in all day at work, but for me, I drive over an hour each way, I don't even stream music over LTE with out plugging in, I deff wouldn't use wireless for the carplay feed for that long. That said, if you have a short commute, or for me, if I am already in town and just going down the street, it sounds very cool to have it work wirelessly with out plugging it in, I just wouldn't expect to be able to use it for extended periods.

beingbenjamin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
So it sounds like it's a Bluetooth connection? I've got the iOS update. So I gotta make sure the unit does all that. Guess it'll just take a little research.

And yah charging would be a must under any circumstances of running nav, music, or whatever on a long commute or trip.

N3wWorldOrder

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out? Apples website says "If your car supports wireless connection to iPhone, you can use car play without plugging in." And the picture shown on their website is my exact car. I got a 2015 Honda Civic and it should connect. I just downloaded IOS 9 beta today and I see that Car Play is now in the settings. But I can't get it to communicate with my car. Anyone figured this out?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out? Apples website says "If your car supports wireless connection to iPhone, you can use car play without plugging in." And the picture shown on their website is my exact car. I got a 2015 Honda Civic and it should connect. I just downloaded IOS 9 beta today and I see that Car Play is now in the settings. But I can't get it to communicate with my car. Anyone figured this out?

my guess because its beta it might not be fully working.

N3wWorldOrder

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm pissed. Just saw an article that Honda has decided to only make CarPlay available in 2016 models. So stupid. Even though they just need to do a software update to make I happen. Honda has lied as they had numerous times said 2015. Damn!

bobauckland

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knew if the aftermarket Carplay systems work wirelessly with iOS 9 devices? There doesn't seem to be clear info on this anywhere, and I don't want to spend money on a carplay system only for it to quickly become outdated.
Any help would be appreciated.

bigdad84

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knew if the aftermarket Carplay systems work wirelessly with iOS 9 devices? There doesn't seem to be clear info on this anywhere, and I don't want to spend money on a carplay system only for it to quickly become outdated.
Any help would be appreciated.

From what I've been reading, we won't see any aftermarket wireless CarPlay head units this year (with the exception of possibly Alpine).

bobauckland

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Seems odd that they would undersell their product and not mention a wifi chipset.
But it's also really annoying that Apple has been so vague about their Carplay setup and the requirements for wireless carplay.
I've put off buying a system from March of this year and starting to get annoyed, there's just zero communication.

muchmaligned

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
seems like the ilx-007/700 doesn't have wireless capabilities - reports are a bit sketchy but the original units shipped with a wifi chip, it's now been removed from later ones. Suggests that Apple may have changed their plans for how wireless carplay operates and alpine had tried to pre-empt it. I asked this question of Alpine as I just bought one too and they would not comment other than to say the iLX-007 is not capable of wireless carplay. Suggested that it may become available later via some kind of USB dongle

muchmaligned

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Alpine doesn't support wireless CarPlay at present. I've the iLX-700 (iLX-007) and whilst the original headsets shipped with a wifi chip, they stopped it and 2015 versions have since shipped without. It appears that Alpine may have tried to pre-empt how WCP would work and Apple changed their implementation. I asked Alpine what their plans were and they said it definitely doesn't work now, may be supported in the future with a USB dongle :|

(apologies if this post appears twice, I replied and the forum seemed to swallow it)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbiePilgrim