What is your personal experience with Apple CarPlay?

sjsharksfan39

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I just bought a new car and I like Carplay a lot. The only thing I don't like is Siri, who is kinda useless. I say play a certain song, and she doesn't know what I'm talking about. Also, I wish there was an easier interface to use when you're driving instead of on the touchscreen. I guess I can just go to the phone itself, but the touchscreen can be a tad distracting.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I picked up a new car this weekend.
8f3c2d9cb71867235bb7e977c9b14371.jpg

One of the things I made a must have on my list was Apple CarPlay. It's still pretty new to me but general thoughts are this:

- Right now it seems like it is a nice to have addition but it does not replace the functionality of the majority of the offerings.
- It feels like it is two separate software solutions on the same console. Yet the integration between the two isn't clean.
- BMW Maps/Nav seems to work better and does more than Apple maps.
- Messaging on Apple CarPlay is awesomeness. Edit: This is hands down the best feature on the service and it actually works with other stuff going. I get an alert over the station playing and press down on my control knob and boom - Siri comes on and asks if I want the msg read and I can respond easily without having to take my eyes off the road. When done the thing I was doing resumes.
- Apple Music seems odd. The UI seems like it is just a player. While I appreciate having my music wirelessly available, generally using an integrated satellite radio offering like Sirius will be preferred.

I'm not overly shocked that it doesn't feel like something that can stand on its own, I'm hoping Apple looks to integrate its offerings. I'm happy to have more options but it's not as great as I hoped. It is worth it for the messaging alone though - great feature.

Last edited:

flamaest

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
I have a Chevy Bolt, and because the Bolt does not come with navigation built-in, I wanted to enable navigation to always be available no matter who was driving. If someone with an older android phone or a flip phone drives the car, I wanted navigation to still work for them in the Bolt.

For this reason, I am testing out how to have a permanently connected iPhone in the car.

I have noticed that with Apple Carplay, if you connect the Apple phone in low-power mode it will fully support carplay so you can take/get calls, messages, and navigate, all just fine.

As it is standard, the car will not provide power through the USB when it is parked-off. So, if you put your Iphone in low-power mode, the phone can still stay on for several days, such as over a weekend, until you use the car again.

The one issue I have found is if you navigate to a destination through carplay, even if you turn off route guidance through carplay, the phone will stay in full-power mapping mode [background app?] and keep drawing a lot of energy. Because of this, if you then turn off the car, the permanent-iphone will be drained in just a few hours, even in low power mode.

I think this is a limitation or defect in the way the Apple carplay architecture works and carplay should be able to shut the app down or not continue to draw full-power when not navigating/routing; just like during a phone call, after the call, the phone is not drawing much power after the call.

Perhaps there is a setting in the iphone for reducing the navigation-app power draw when not providing route guidance, but I have not found it.

stltodd

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I have CarPlay in a 2017 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid with Sync 3 and love it. I miss it every time I drive a car without it. But, it can be improved. In priority order:

1) It needs to have integration with the car's radio controls and climate controls, even if only through Siri. Changing the radio station while the head unit is showing Maps is just a pain. Climate control is less of an issue since there are physical controls that handle it directly regardless of what's on the screen, so that's more of a nice to have.

2) While it's a Siri/Apple Maps issue, not a CarPlay issue, the only I time I use this feature is when I'm in the car so I'm listing it. Getting directions to a place by only providing the name of the place is absolutely horrid. I am frequently asking for directions to a school where my kids have an away sporting event, and I don't think Siri / Maps has EVER got it correct. 9 times out of 10, the list it provides to be aren't even schools. I don't understand why it's so bad, as when I put things into my calendar and enter the school name into the location, both the Mac and the iPhone typically show me the address.

3) The native Ford Sync 3 capabilities would give an audio notification when a new text message arrived. CarPlay does not. While you can argue that this is a good thing and avoids distracted driving, it is a feature of Sync 3 that I miss. About the only one.

4) I wish Apple would support third party navigation apps in CarPlay, specifically Waze.

5) Third party apps are still really glitchy with their UI. Tune In radio has significant issues, and I tried about four different podcast apps before settling on "Pocket Casts". MLB At Bat only displays on the head unit correctly if I pre-navigate into the app on my phone first. Given the number of CarPlay users, I suspect fixing this CarPlay display issues are low on their priority list, if they even know about them at all.

Despite these issues, the alternative (Ford Sync 3) with its lack of app support (I think there are about 6 apps listed on Ford's site for Sync 3) is far worse, and driving a car without any kind of phone/car integration is just something I don't like doing anymore.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Works great and looks amazing compared to Android auto, just wish we could use google maps instead of apple maps.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Applications that are provided need more functions with in Car Play. Not just a skin to be displayed. I still find my self using the phone more to do stuff...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 2015 Altima which doesn't support it. I haven't checked my wife's car. She's got a 2016 Ford Fusion. Maybe I'll check her car this weekend to see if it supports CarPlay.

In regards to the question, I have no personal experience with it. :(

The next car I purchase, ideally, would have it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Using Carplay day to day just proves how much better it is than Android Auto (Golf 2016):

• When i plug in my phone to the car, Carplay auto starts and loads. Android Auto required me to go to menu settings, locate the app and start it.
  • With CarPlay when phone is connected it doesnt use Bluetooth, with Android Audio even if the phone was connected it would sustain a BT connection. This would force me to re-pair the Nexus 6P often, since unplugging from the car sometimes unpaired BT. ANNOYING!
  • Phone charges just as fast for my 7+ as it did for my 6P
  • Even if im not currently in Carplay, (i.e. in Car menus, where i have my music), if i call Siri it goes straight to Carplay and Siri is listening. This would not happen with Android Auto.
  • The UI is much better, no lag and consistently fluid.
  • I've grown to LOVE Apple Maps, was very hesitant at first but its fantastic.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Our car is older so we don't have it, but we do travel frequently and it's been in a lot of the rental cars that we've had. I absolutely loved it! I've not really been able to play with all of the features but what I did experience was really nice. I've been tempted to look for a stereo upgrade for our current vehicle just so we can have it.

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I've also grown to love Apple Maps. Originally I was appalled that Waze couldn't run in CarPlay mode but this has subsided as the native Apple product has matured.

It's not got quite the traffic updates that Waze or Google maps have, but I don't really rely on that (and find all of them a little hit and miss TBH). Updating an incorrect location is very easy and I got responses to mine within days. Now I find I seldom need to update anything, seems to have a handle on it.

I especially like the find stuff en route feature that allows you to nav to say a cafe within a few miles on your route and in the direction of travel. We've found some really good little stop offs using this feature

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
just started using CarPlay (new vehicle)...

nitpicks:
- should work wirelessly (needs to be plugged in)
- should be a weather app (hopefully this comes eventually)
- dictated responses for iMessage should show as written before sending (I know, probably never gonna happen due to the safety police)
- way to resize icons - they stock ones are way too big and limit to eight tiles
- better way to switch back to radio

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
just started using CarPlay (new vehicle)...

nitpicks:
- should work wirelessly (needs to be plugged in)
- should be a weather app (hopefully this comes eventually)
- dictated responses for iMessage should show as written before sending (I know, probably never gonna happen due to the safety police)
- way to resize icons - they stock ones are way too big and limit to eight tiles
- better way to switch back to radio

Your suggestions are spot-on, in my opinion, especially having a Weather option. In addition to that, I don't see a problem having a Calendar option as well. My primary gripe with CarPlay is the super large icons. They are indeed way too big for my tastes....

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't like it. I have it in a Honda Accord. It has locked up on me, the voice doesn't work sometimes. I literally had to pull off the side of the road and turn my car off and back on for it to recognize my phone. It randomly plays music when I get off of calls sometimes. Just not a fan right now.

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I've also grown to love Apple Maps. Originally I was appalled that Waze couldn't run in CarPlay mode but this has subsided as the native Apple product has matured.

It's not got quite the traffic updates that Waze or Google maps have, but I don't really rely on that (and find all of them a little hit and miss TBH). Updating an incorrect location is very easy and I got responses to mine within days. Now I find I seldom need to update anything, seems to have a handle on it.

I especially like the find stuff en route feature that allows you to nav to say a cafe within a few miles on your route and in the direction of travel. We've found some really good little stop offs using this feature

The thing about apple maps for me is that they are so slow to update compared to Waze and google maps. There was a new street added about 4 months ago by me that I travel almost every day. Waze and Google had it updated within a week of it opening but Apple Maps still hasn't updated it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't like it. I have it in a Honda Accord. It has locked up on me, the voice doesn't work sometimes. I literally had to pull off the side of the road and turn my car off and back on for it to recognize my phone. It randomly plays music when I get off of calls sometimes. Just not a fan right now.

You may need to have your infotainment center updated or have the software reinstalled at a nearby Honda dealership.

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
You may need to have your infotainment center updated or have the software reinstalled at a nearby Honda dealership.

I'll try that. Maybe it will get better. Yesterday I had my phone plugged in and tried to switch the source to Radio. It was switch over for about 2 seconds and then go right back to the music from my phone

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll try that. Maybe it will get better. Yesterday I had my phone plugged in and tried to switch the source to Radio. It was switch over for about 2 seconds and then go right back to the music from my phone

Yeah, I would definitely get with your dealership. CarPlay, in and of itself, doesn't act like that so it's probably a combination of it and the infotainment software conflicting. Probably needs to be re-flashed or something. Let us know what happens after a trip to your dealership.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Don't look at Kenwood. I have their "flagship" DNX893S, nothing but audio problems. I use apple music and the bluetooth will for whatever reason drop "pause" the song and you have to go back into the bluetooth mode on the headunit and click play again. Carplay the exact same thing.

Was hoping the 10.1 iOS would fix the glitch nope. I think the issue clearly falls on Kenwood and they're dragging their feet and don't know how to fix it. I am ready to through this $1400 boat anchor into the trash.

I can use a bluetooth speaker at home and stream all day so clearly an issue with Kenwood. Starting to regret buying it as it was delayed almost FIVE months!

View attachment 113430

Wondering if you ever fixed your issue. I just got the DNX693S and was having similar issues, and found there was an update for the headunit. That along with deleting the Kenwood from my bluetooth and only using the CarPlay connection have gotten rid of all of my issues. Used it for 6 hours over the weekend without issue. Not sure if the bluetooth or firmware was the issue, or maybe the combination of both, but I am very happy with my experience. Might even be able to convince the wife she doesn't need Garmin Nav in the future, and be able to buy cheaper headunits, though I did get a very good deal on the DNX693S.

Also drove my mother in law's new Hyundai Elantra over the weekend (my truck was too tall for the parking garage at the baseball game :(), and CarPlay worked great on that interface as well. Used it for Navigation and Spotify.

SparkyBC

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The sept 2016 "update" fixes absolutely nothing. Keep in mind the 693S is missing several components and features the 893s has. I can black screen on Carplay or crash it almost daily. Even plugging in the lightning connector you can hear a low audible white hiss. You can't compare a factory carplay head unit from car manufacturers it's a totally different OS/system.

So rather then issue new firmware which they stated is coming since Dec their solution seems to be swap it for a new model. I had TWO - 893S they all had the same software issues, and audio glitches as well as a TON of dust under the screen.

Regardless after Kenwood has fed my a line of BS for 7+ months this is a quote from the National Sales manager in Canada.

"Do you use the HDMI input on your DNX893S?

The reason why I'm asking is I think you deserve the latest and greatest from us which is the DNX994S. There are several small improvements on the DNX994S (Fixed the dust, added a dash cam link, Better audio components, etc) but they decided to remove the HDMI port.

Please let me know if this would be an issue."

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have installed most recent firmware on my HU. Pioneer 8100 NEX. But still issues randomly. The phone plugged in via cable for car play and it randomly disconnects. It's not the HU as Apple car play crashes on the phone itself.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW