What is your personal experience with Apple CarPlay?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you have an Apple CarPlay compatible vehicle, what is your experience with it? Do you like it? Dislike it? Find it meh? Does it make using your iPhone while driving easier and/or safe?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission. I'm very interested in CarPlay, but I'm in a car that I don't plan on changing anytime soon. I need aftermarket support from someone like Alpine, Pioneer, Sony ...

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but it's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission. I'm very interested in CarPlay, but I'm in a car that I don't plan on changing anytime soon. I need aftermarket support from someone like Alpine, Pioneer, Sony ...

Pioneer has your back! They are making like 4 or 5 different CarPlay compatible aftermarket systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't have "CarPlay" built into my car but I have the closest you are going to get in my 2014 Honda I just bought with Honda Link and SIRI EYES as they call it fully and completely IOS functional right down to the 3 Apple cables they make you buy for $99.00 and then download 3 free apps from the app store for it to function. I opted out of that but am using everything else, Phone, Audio and text and email and it id really a great feature rich piece of tech. Honda did this right with Apple and i use it every day. As far as Safety email and text will come over and be read out loud as you are driving if you set it up that way which I did. You can give 5 Canned answers as you are moving or for anything else you have to pull over and have the car in park. I think they thought of everything.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I may end up getting one of these Pioneer aftermarket radios. It's painful having to carry my Note 3 everywhere to get full media functionality in my car...

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

Kobra7

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Alpine iLX-007 with CarPlay. I got it cheap, although once I added the backup camera and wired microphone, with installation it hit $925. It seemed kind of pricey, but I have reason for this specific model.

First, it isn't Bluetooth capable. That may turn a lot of people off from the Alpine first effort. You physically have to plug in your phone - no Bluetooth sync option. If you live in town and go a mile, get out, drive another mile, get out, plug in, get out.... It'll get annoying. But this is fine for me... I got this for my 16 year old, not necessarily me. I want hands free all the time. Plugging the iPhone in makes all control go to the unit. Looking at the phone, distracting the driver from the road isn't happening.

It has only been a day, but so far, I really like it. I have to see if the external microphone I added is really worthwhile. I'll check by leaving the iPhone in the glove box, then using Siri to text and call.

I haven't found any instructions on how to update the firmware. I would think Alpine would have an automatic update push to the head unit from the phone itself. Not sure. I'll figure it out, or perhaps read the instruction manual. I doubt I'll do the latter.

Seems Siri picks up everything just fine. Navigation from the maps app is nice. Seems to eliminate the need for a GPS in the car. (I have a GPS Red Dot for my Tom Tom app on my iPad mini, seems that eliminates that requirement, too). I would think that over time, some apps may choose to include their apps in CarPlay - like TomTom, for example.

So far, I like the Alpine quite a bit. But like I said, I want it to be the way it is with the mandatory plug in. If I find something good or bad in the future, I'll update the post.

Kobra7

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Alpine iLX-007. So far so good. You just have to know what you're getting into. No Bluetooth, which is what I want, actually. You have to plug the iPhone in for it to function. Once you do, the phone itself is controlled through CarPlay. Great for keeping a 16 year old from texting and driving.

JBHII

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
My Pioneer 4000NEX was just installed last night. The unit itself is great, but so far I'm not really impressed with the Siri integration/hands free useage. It's already "crashed" Carplay a couple of times while trying to use it.

Once activated however, using Maps via Carplay rocks!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm deeply considering the Pioneer AppRadio 4, the times I've used it and the Alpine iLX007 have been pleasant and I'm looking forward to having that in my current car

jonlpavillon

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
CarPlay fun and CarPlagues in Pioneer AVH-4000NEX

Hi Folks, Not sure if anyone else has had some goofiness and hopefully Apple and Pioneer will make nice and work closer together to resolve things.

First off I really like the CarPlay features and I think it has made me a much safer driver. I really like how the 15 second advance/rewind works for the Podcast app since that is what I am often listening to while driving. Much safer with the big buttons to skip commercials.

I am pretty handy and the install of the unit was easy. Total cost was just at $500 US. Overall it works well about 90% but Siri has trouble as others describe. Still much better than using the iPhone without hands free. I live rurally and in the mountains and had to add a cell phone signal booster for about the same price as the 4000NEX. But that was the best money spent and Siri was much happier with good LTE signals.

The Pioneer AVH-4000NEX is kinda on the lower end but really only lacks the navigation which is unnecessary if you like Apple Maps. I contacted Pioneer to see if there is a firmware update due out soon and got a not anytime soon response. Hopefully the next iOS update will incorporate a setting for CarPlay as currently rumored that may make it all work well. I really think the hangups are iOS related.

I did just have one major issue and is the main reason I posted here so to alert others. I almost had to send my iPhone back for concern of hardware issue when it got stuck thinking there was a headphone being used. I was chatting with AppleCare and after powering off and even did a "Reset of All Settings". It stayed stuck. The next plan was to reset back to factory settings which is a pain. Then last ditch would have been to ship it off for hardware repair. I decided to go back and hook it back up to CarPlay. It worked well in CarPlay and hellsyeah after I disconnected all was well. Again my bet is that this is an iOS issue since it seems to vary with issues based on iOS upgrades and this latest (8.1.3) seems to be the buggiest.

Overall worth every penny and glad I have it.
Hope this helps all those on the fence.

vigilant

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
The lease on my car was up and decided to purchase a replacement instead of doing another lease. I took that as an opportunity to do something I have never done - I had installed a new head unit.

Went down to Car Toys and had the Alpine ILX-007 installed. The stereo itself has a 7 inch display, and is what they apparently call "mech-less" since it doesn't have a CD player.

Personally I've always hated car stereos. They are slow, with horrible UI's. I picked the Alpine ILX-007 because it doesn't have Satellite radio, it's own App platform, CD player, spinning rims, or whatever the kids are into. It's got AM/FM, and it runs Car Play.

Total out of pocket for the Alpine ILX-007, cabling harness, installation, plus flush mounted USB plug in the dash was about $1000, and it's fantastic.

Right now I'm using Music, Podcasts, IHEARTRADIO, Maps, Phone, Messages, and Siri regularly. The usefulness of Siri while driving is fantastic. I find myself triggering Siri to add things to my Reminders for work stuff, and it's taken a huge load off of me. People can complain about Apple Maps as much as they want, but it's the best mapping system I've used in a car. If your address book is fully populated with peoples information it becomes incredibly easy to tell Siri "Get me to my Dad's", and Maps pops up with it ready to navigate me. One of the best features of Maps in Car Play is the ability to turn off Guidance (voice prompts telling you what to do next). Instead the map stays up, and shows me where to turn without the constant nagging.

There are some a few minor quirks that I think are worth pointing out:
  • For new cars make sure to do research on the the cabling harness. I picked up a VW GLI 2015, and everything works great with the Pac Audio harness with the exception of the Voice Recognition button on the steering wheel. VW apparently changed the wiring slightly in the 2015's, and Pac Audio is working on an update. This is my biggest complaint, and I have been assured that a software update is coming up to see the signal coming through from this specific button.
  • IHEARTRADIO Car Play is incredibly buggy. There are times where it works without any issue at all, but their app isn't as stable or reliable as any of the other apps available either through Apple or Third Party. This is something they can and I expect for them to fix.
  • Beats Music ISN'T compatible with Car Play. It's listed as one of the compatible applications on the Car Play site but it doesn't show up at all on my dash. All of the other Applications just show up once installed. No Beats anywhere. I expect that it is coming though
  • Get a stereo with an external directional microphone. When I picked up my car the microphone inside worked fine enough. The Alpine ILX-007 actually comes with a microphone that gets installed by the rear view mirror and is directional. I have no complaints now about not being heard clearly. I don't know if this is standard or what, but if you have the option it goes a LONG way if you plan on using Siri regularly.

Car Play like the Apple Watch is something that not everyone may need. If you like to drive, and are tired of having to pull out your phone to change whats playing over Bluetooth, or just want to boss around Siri effortlessly this could be well worth it. Just remember that the cost of the stereo is just the beginning. If you want everything to work and look as close to factory as possible the installation could cost you as much as the stereo.

muchmaligned

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I also opted for the iLX-007 (though it's the iLX-700 here, maybe James Bond had a word??)

I had been toying with getting it since the beginning of the year, but was put off by the closed set of apps available and only Apple Maps for Nav - Also I had the original factory Nav unit in my VW T5 California and was reluctant to swap a ?2k option out for something a bit bleeding-edge.

I needn't have worried, so far I've found it really, REALLY good.

CarPlay_Alpine.JPG

The Alpine H/U also offers support for parking assist (CAN bus integration and climate control/parking sensor radar display on the unit), which I like. I had this before and this was the reason I went for the Alpine over the AppRadio4. I may hook a camera up, but the radar sensor display is great.

9df5cf4044124458e2259c49a65f17b8.jpg

Apple Maps has been improved vastly and the CarPlay implementation of it looks great. Whilst it doesn't quite have all the local info that GM has, it's definitely a whole lot better than it was. Plus it now caches the route into memory when you initially plan the route and doesn't require a data connection (unless you turn off etc and it needs to re-route you)

AM Taunton.jpg

I like to just have the map screen on to give me a bit of visibility on traffic etc. Also if I start driving towards my home, Maps automatically displays the quickest route back ETA etc (but without the TBT voice prompts) which is a nice little feature.

Another nice feature is the fact it pulls appointments or meets from your calendar and if they have a valid location entered, the nav will immediately suggest a route on start up, no faffing about.

Siri integration is very cool now. I've previously never had a voice integration system that I've not had a massive argument with, but Siri gets it right almost always. It's actually quite a liberating experience to be able to keep your hands on the wheel and bark orders at Siri. Also the Alpine has a hard Siri button, which you don't have to look at to touch. I had the extension mic fitted onto the top of the A-pillar and it works really well there.

The Apple apps seem to integrate very well with Siri, some of the 3rd party apps are a little less Siri-friendly (typically I can open them up ok but have to tap the screen afterwards). The HU is very responsive and I really like the improvement over my older (resistive) touch screen.

Music is displayed in nice, giganto-font with the album art kind of ghosted across the background. I like that, means you don't have to stare at the H/U to see what's playing.

Music_CarPlay.jpg

Really impressed so far and considering I replaced a very expensive factory nav system, I am very happy with what I've got. Apologies for the dark, skewed images, but thought you might like a view.

Last edited:

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have "CarPlay" built into my car but I have the closest you are going to get in my 2014 Honda I just bought with Honda Link and SIRI EYES as they call it fully and completely IOS functional right down to the 3 Apple cables they make you buy for $99.00 and then download 3 free apps from the app store for it to function. I opted out of that but am using everything else, Phone, Audio and text and email and it id really a great feature rich piece of tech. Honda did this right with Apple and i use it every day. As far as Safety email and text will come over and be read out loud as you are driving if you set it up that way which I did. You can give 5 Canned answers as you are moving or for anything else you have to pull over and have the car in park. I think they thought of everything.

I want to upgrade mine in my older Odyssey. Can you get it installed?

lkveggie

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I used to work at a Volkswagen dealership and got to test out CarPlay on all the new vehicles...I absolutely loved it!! It looks so good on the dash and makes it way easier (and safer) to "use" your iPhone while driving. Plus I really enjoyed that Spotify was built in, since that's all I use for music anymore. CarPlay is super cool, can't wait to see what else they do with it!

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Biggest problem I have with CarPlay is the fact you have to non stop jump in and out of apps. I get it, they want it like the iPhone. But it needs to be easier in a car to get to stuff.

Let's say your driving using maps and want to change music tracks or a different podcast: Step 1- press home button, Step 2- press music/now playing icon and do what your going to do, Step 3- press home button again, Step 4- press maps icon again. Way to many steps.

Probably the one thing Android auto does better with the icons laid out at the bottom of the screen. Same scenario on maps screen, Step 1- press music icon on bottom and what your going to do, Step 2- press maps icon again, so much faster and easier.

Last edited:

Kai Winters

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Car Play for the last couple of months and I like it a lot.
I bought an Alpine iLX-007 with Car Play.
Overall I am very satisfied with Car Play. It connects seamlessly to my iPhone 6+ and accessing my favorite music playlists, podcasts, audio books via Audible couldn't be easier.
I was surprised by how easy and useful Siri is. I've used it to make and take phone calls, make and play test messages...it is funny to hear Siri describe a blue heart in a text from my wife as "blue heart" lol. It is a much easier and safer way to take and make calls/texts.

Maps is "meh" to me. I much prefer Google maps but I can live with Apple's maps. I live in a rural area in Northern NY and "maps" works fine in the city but once out of the city it is generally useless showing the last map image before losing "signal"??? or a blank screen...funny, not ha ha funny, though if I start the map app on my iPhone it works fine but no such luck on the screen. I wonder where Car Play is taking the signal from??? Also funny is I "paid" for iMaps+ at the iTunes store and it seems to be a clone of Google maps but when I start the app on the iPhone it starts the basic map app on Car Play...what the heck is up with that???

While I did not buy this device...Car Play...specifically for the map app I did expect it to work better and to be linked to iMaps+ especially when they charge you for the app.

My only other complaint...not really a complaint but an improvement I'd like to see...is I can't choose what app icons are on the first page. I love to listen to audio books via Audible when driving and have to go to the second page to access the app. I'd really like to be able to change the positions of the app icons like we can on the iPhone. I'd have my favorite apps on page one and the rest...there aren't many...on the next page.

Overall Car Play is a great system and I'd guess it is going to get better as more and more auto manufacturers come on board...at least I hope so...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2