Powerbeats 3 Hands On

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe they are louder and have more bass than the PB2's. For the PB2's I left the default ear tips but after reading some of the posts I changed to the largest tips for the PB3's and it made a huge difference. I am very impressed with the sound.

calumthomas

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!
Just got the Powerbeats 3 today and so far very happy with them. Bought the Powerbeats 2 previously and returned them because they would always disconnect from my phone. The 3s haven't disconnected once while in the house, I can walk in any room and they don't go out of sync at all. I'm very impressed. The sound quality is also pretty damn good, it's not as bass heavy as I was expecting, it's a very pleasing kind of bass.

I now have an iPhone 7, which I'm running on iOS 10.1.1, when I connect to my Bluetooth speaker I get an indication of battery life next to the Bluetooth symbol.. I'm just wondering if anybody knows why I don't get this with the Powerbeats 3's?

Cheers!:)

dcloko

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!
Just got the Powerbeats 3 today and so far very happy with them. Bought the Powerbeats 2 previously and returned them because they would always disconnect from my phone. The 3s haven't disconnected once while in the house, I can walk in any room and they don't go out of sync at all. I'm very impressed. The sound quality is also pretty damn good, it's not as bass heavy as I was expecting, it's a very pleasing kind of bass.

I now have an iPhone 7, which I'm running on iOS 10.1.1, when I connect to my Bluetooth speaker I get an indication of battery life next to the Bluetooth symbol.. I'm just wondering if anybody knows why I don't get this with the Powerbeats 3's?

Are they louder than the normal earpods that comes with iPhone 7?

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Are they louder than the normal earpods that comes with iPhone 7?

I will guess you mean the normal ones on the earlier iPhones since there are no more headphone jacks on the 7. The quality of sound on the Powerbeats 3 is fantastic. It will have a bassier sound than a normal headphone but it still does a pretty good job on multiple genres of music (I'm kind of eclectic when it comes to what I listen to). Louder is tough to know since an earpod is going to sit into your ear canal.. depending on the quality of fit you might get more or less top volume - but I would think listening to it at full volume would be detrimental to your hearing. The Powerbeats produce a clean sound and are plenty loud enough.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys!

There have been a few discussions on this one that I have seen. The best guess right now is that the new headphone icon trumps the functionality / space. I haven't seen anything indicating it will be corrected - but it might be once the new apple buds ship.

As a workaround - swipe right to get to your widget / notification screen. Hit Edit and Add Batteries. This will show you the batter level of the iPhone, Watch, Powerbeats3, etc.. anything connected and you can look at it whenever you need.

Last edited:

calumthomas

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
:) I figured I wasn't alone but wasn't too sure as I'm running beta software. I've added the widget to my widget screen after your recommendation so thanks for that tip!:)

Also agree the audio quality is definitely fantastic, far better than the beats 2, and definitely better than the EarPods that shipped with my 7! :)

mad_iphone4

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Fable, how are they with sunglasses on? I have the S305's as well and those hooks around the ears while wearing sunglasses hurt the mess out of my ears. That's been the biggest reason I wasn't going to get the PB3's.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Fable, how are they with sunglasses on? I have the S305's as well and those hooks around the ears while wearing sunglasses hurt the mess out of my ears. That's been the biggest reason I wasn't going to get the PB3's.

I wear glasses and have no issues with the PB3s.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

Most of the time it hasn't been an issue. Occasionally my Oakley (sport wrap style) do force the PB3s to move a bit too much during a run.. but they don't hurt like the 305s did. The 305s kinda pinched in vs PB3s that just kind of sit there. At this point the PB3s were a drastic improvement over the aging S305.. but that is expected.

Still a big fan of this latest incarnation of the Power Beats.

dcloko

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Do they stay one while you run?
- Yep they do remain on while running.. that is not to say that I don't have to "fix" the fit from time to time. I live in New England and it was cold up until this weekend.. so depending on how you wear the wire (in front, on head or in back) it has the potential to rub against clothing / hoods and move.

Are they comfortable while you run? How long are you running?
Very comfortable although as previously mentioned this has a lot to do with messing with the additional earcups and the general size of your ears. I run about 30 mins offroad on back trails. I also take them for walks with the dog as I use them for phone calls.

Have you tried to run with Apple Watch and beats?
Absolutely - the Series 2 and the PB3 work amazing together. I love being able to leave the phone behind and still have access to my music. Its been a flawless experience (with the exception of when coming back into range of the phone - slight 10 second sync).

Fable, My PB3 arrives..! They are gorgeous and looks awesome!

But I have a doubt: for those who bought, they (the PB3) had this small line (looks an attachment) like mine (photo on the link)?

http://i.imgur.com/7EbUFaz.jpg

Thanks!

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine are the black ones and I can't see any lines, but I am also old and don't have the best eye sight anymore ��

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Fable, My PB3 arrives..! They are gorgeous and looks awesome!

But I have a doubt: for those who bought, they (the PB3) had this small line (looks an attachment) like mine (photo on the link)?

http://i.imgur.com/7EbUFaz.jpg

Thanks!

I am trying to figure out how you got your phone to zoom in that fine. I wasn't able to get a zoomed in shot of mine. I have the green with black casings obviously but my eyes aren't good enough to see a line on mine. I tried zooming but didn't see one.

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've had my PB3s for about a month or so and they've been great, but now I'm having a problem. I use them primarily when I run, and have done about 20-25 runs ranging from 5-10 miles and they've been flawless. today was my second run in some pretty frigid cold(Boston area) and after less than a mile, they dropped the connection to the phone and shut down. I couldn't get them to turn back on for about 20 minutes. The phone didn't shut down, just the PB3s, and this happened on both of the 2 cold runs.

Has anyone had any problems with these in the cold? I had the PB2s before these and ran all last winter with them without a problem.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I've had my PB3s for about a month or so and they've been great, but now I'm having a problem. I use them primarily when I run, and have done about 20-25 runs ranging from 5-10 miles and they've been flawless. today was my second run in some pretty frigid cold(Boston area) and after less than a mile, they dropped the connection to the phone and shut down. I couldn't get them to turn back on for about 20 minutes. The phone didn't shut down, just the PB3s, and this happened on both of the 2 cold runs.

Has anyone had any problems with these in the cold? I had the PB2s before these and ran all last winter with them without a problem.

Do they need to warm up before they can reconnect? I'm in Connecticut and don't do a lot of outdoor running with the ice on the ground but just a thought - if the problem repeats go ahead and try to forget them an then reconnect the headset through a normal pairing. Where was your phone and was it doing anything strange.

I did some quick web searches and I can't seem to find anyone else asking about this one. I have used them in single digit weather but it wasn't much more than 20 mins or so.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I throw them in the Mophie charge case I picked up and they charge while I shower and get ready for work and I am good to go for the rest of the day..

Bamf - thanks again for the tip on the Mophie Charge case. I put them on my Christmas list and having had a chance to play around with it - its a solid buy. The size of the unit is perfect and I don't feel like I am going to break them putting them in and out of the case (like the cheap rubber one that comes with the PB3). Here are some shots of it for folks interested:
01ddebd64f676eaf922c3d71915f31fbd267b47fc7.jpg

As you can see from the image above, they fit nicely inside and there is an included power cable to keep them charged. The case uses a solid zipper and you can keep track of the charge on it with lights (1-4) on the bottom side of the case (see below):
013b70c1275855c01ce75bb0e4240ed7fed520f267.jpg

This will be perfect for keeping in my bag when I travel for work or holiday.

One additional item: The case/charger comes with only one chord. I think this would work best if used with a secondary mini usb / charger combo. As I have plenty around from my Android days - it wasn't an issue for me but folks should be aware. You could alternately take the cable and charge the case separately off USB and then use the same chord to power up the PB3s.

Last edited:

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Bamf - thanks again for the tip on the Mophie Charge case. I put them on my Christmas list and having had a chance to play around with it - its a solid buy. The size of the unit is perfect and I don't feel like I am going to break them putting them in and out of the case (like the cheap rubber one that comes with the PB3). Here are some shots of it for folks interested:
View attachment 115149

As you can see from the image above, they fit nicely inside and there is an included power cable to keep them charged. The case uses a solid zipper and you can keep track of the charge on it with lights (1-4) on the bottom side of the case (see below):
View attachment 115151

This will be perfect for keeping in my bag when I travel for work or holiday.

One additional item: The case/charger comes with only one chord. I think this would work best if used with a secondary mini usb / charger combo. As I have plenty around from my Android days - it wasn't an issue for me but folks should be aware. You could alternately take the cable and charge the case separately off USB and then use the same chord to power up the PB3s.

I use the cable that came with the PB3s to charge them in the case and the Mophie one to charge the actual case.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711