Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?

It's a personal perspective.
1) A lot of people who will not even try it once are ones who have either a negative image of BlackBerry or have NO USE for it whatsoever.
2) A lot of people are just trying it for it's novelty, which is alright. Once the novelty wears off, they will surely make a decision that is appropriate for them.
3) Some ex-BB users are back, which is easy for them because they can right off the bat use their BBIDs and ease in. They will again weigh it according to their prior experience and the current availability of friends and family on BBM
4) Some were waiting for something like this, which would offer them the ability to have a cross-platform (barring Windows) messaging app. These people will look past the initial teething problems
of cross-platform BBM till it becomes a little more stable.

I believe this topic is being beaten to death in forums across the interweb.
Like all other apps, this too should be taken as a simple messaging app.
Like? Use it!
Don't? Delete it....

In the end, like some users I spoke with earlier, they don't want to move because they're good where they are and don't see the need.
Fair enough :)

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
People who use BBM strictly for messaging would probably see less reason to stick it out long term. WhatsApp and even SMS has a good hold on that end, and it's tough to break old habits and learn a new UI. But if someone likes the ability to have things like group calendars and chats, and not having to give out any personal or semi-personal info like an email address or phone number then they may appreciate what BBM offers. I have contacts on my list from iMore and CrackBerry that I probably under normal circumstances wouldn't have if it weren't for BBM. I'm just hoping they bring the voice calling, video chat, screen share and Channels to the rest sooner rather than later so it's more of a communications suite than "just another instant messenger".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?

That's a pretty broad anecdotal statement to make. Like others I'm not clear why this is even a question other than to stir up discussion for discussion sakes?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty broad anecdotal statement to make.
Anecdotal? Just read through some of the BBM threads here and see for yourself.
Like others I'm not clear why this is even a question other than to stir up discussion for discussion sakes?
Yeah, pretty much. That is a part of my Ambassador duties...;)....People can choose to participate in this discussion or choose not to.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Anecdotal? Just read through some of the BBM threads here and see for yourself. Yeah, pretty much. That is a part of my Ambassador duties...;)....People can choose to participate in this discussion or choose not to.

This is a forum, we come here to have discussions... No?
Both of you are right on point no matter what anybody thinks of this new for IOS the bottom line is by creating the thread, You have gotten the effect you were looking for and taz is right... Discussion.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My duties too... Difference is 'D is more level headed when it comes to discussion, I tend to be the one that stirs things up but then again as my Ambassador duties I am just doing mine in a different way but I try not to cross the line of arrogance right 'D?...LOL:)

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I enjoy it. As somebody who started out as a DEVOUT Blackberry guy it's kind of nice to bring my smartphone life full circle....only have one friend using it right now, but it's still cool to chat with him on it. Hoping at least a few other friends will hop on it for the hell of it if nothing else. It's free...hell, why not?

Harley Kid

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I like BlackBerry products and I do like BBM on BB10. But on both my iPhone and Android, BBM is almost useless to me.

I have been using BBM on my BB devices for years and was stoked to her they were going cross platform. After the past couple of updates, it seems to be running a LOT better on iOS than on Android

I tried it on Android, and rejoined the group, only to find that group disappearing again after a few days. It's nice and all to see BBM on iPhone and Android, but the app is pretty buggy. It's definitely usable, but too buggy for my liking.

I also had this issue on my Motorola when I rebooted my device. I was forced to uninstall the BBM app and reinstall the app and set up my existing account again. :mad:
If anyone is aware if this is a Google Play/ issue/bug , please post update or how to resolve the disappearing app.

The new OS, BlackBerry 10 will be coming to it and he ended up getting the 64Gb model? I have... And we all know how that went...
Sore subject for a LOT of BB users ... Myself included! Although I still use and enjoy my 9900/PB 64Gb combo, I also bought mine while on OS7 and was super pumped to hear it was going to update with the new platform ... Only to be bummed out to find that it wouldn't. :huh: Then the bridge feature that made the whole experience seamless was also dropped on OS10 making the Playbook just like any other 7" tablet on the market with NO significant feature to set it or its OS apart from any other. With the financial peril BlackBerry seemed to be heading for and the missing features, I didn't upgrade my BB to a new Q10

anon3230140

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been using BBM on my BB devices for years and was stoked to her they were going cross platform. After the past couple of updates, it seems to be running a LOT better on iOS than on Android

I also had this issue on my Motorola when I rebooted my device. I was forced to uninstall the BBM app and reinstall the app and set up my existing account again. :mad:
If anyone is aware if this is a Google Play/ issue/bug , please post update or how to resolve the disappearing app.

Sore subject for a LOT of BB users ... Myself included! Although I still use and enjoy my 9900/PB 64Gb combo, I also bought mine while on OS7 and was super pumped to hear it was going to update with the new platform ... Only to be bummed out to find that it wouldn't. :huh: Then the bridge feature that made the whole experience seamless was also dropped on OS10 making the Playbook just like any other 7" tablet on the market with NO significant feature to set it or its OS apart from any other. With the financial peril BlackBerry seemed to be heading for and the missing features, I didn't upgrade my BB to a new Q10

Actually, BlackBerry Bridge for bb10 was never dropped. Where on earth do you get this false information from? BlackBerry bridge for bb10 has been available for months and was updated again about a month ago so u can now use bbm on the Playbook just like you could on os7. Only thing missing now is sms but that's cos in os7 it was a separate app like bbm now It's built into the hub. Maybe they still plan on bringing it who knows. It's just as good as it was.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Bbm works for some, not for others. It depends on why you use it. I'd imagine for people who have family overseas that do not have international texting it would be great

Sent from my iPhone 5s

hamsterwheel

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Again I say if it weren't released by BlackBerry, and it were a new messaging app would you try it? Most people who are into IM apps would I think.
Don't discount it just because of your feeling toward BlackBerry.

No harm in trying it, nothing to lose. It really is great communication tool, and for iOS and Android more features to come.
I'm having a blast chatting with my iPhone friends and family back in Africa and Canada and England..........

Harley Kid

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually, BlackBerry Bridge for bb10 was never dropped. Where on earth do you get this false information from? BlackBerry bridge for bb10 has been available for months and was updated again about a month ago so u can now use bbm on the Playbook just like you could on os7. Only thing missing now is sms but that's cos in os7 it was a separate app like bbm now It's built into the hub. Maybe they still plan on bringing it who knows. It's just as good as it was.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

I guess that the information given by the representative at the local store was obviously used to persuade me to choose another OS other than BlackBerry is the only assumption I can come to at this point. I will DEFINITELY be checking into your comment above in hope that the features that I used on a daily basis with os7 will now actually have come to fruition with os10. Thank you for clarifying!

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
the only reason i downloaded it again was because a bunch of my friends and i had a BBM chat years ago when we all had BB devices. since then, we have ALL switched to android or iphones. upon the release of BBM, some of us downloaded it and formed the group again. it was a huge pain in the **** having mass group texts, so we agree that the BBM group is pretty much the main reason we like using it. other than that, unfortunately, i see no other reason for using it. i think it would be of more use for android users, since it allows them to finally have an all data alternative to SMS (kinda how we have imessage).

Ive seen a slow progression among my friends when it comes to downloading it. in fact, most refuse to download it when i ask them to, saying its stupid and "whats the point". most of us that have it, will use it and see if its worth keeping. its one of those things thats in a gray area. theres either alot of your friends using it, which makes it make sense and more will willingly download it or there no one that wants to and your contact list remains so short, that it becomes pointless.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods