Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Global Posts
    7,859 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

Not quite sure why this is even a question.
    BBM is an app like any other. If people want to use it fine. If they don't that's fine too.
    Personally I downloaded it. May delete it soon though. Not due to its being bad or good, just because I've never gotten into messaging apps even though I've tried most of them. Just not the chatty type, I guess.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    543 Global Posts

Default Re: Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

Up to you, but 20+ million downloads in just 3 days says they're on to something a lot of people have an interest in. That might even be a record?? And yes, I have it on my S3, 4S and z10.

I too wonder what the real reason for your question is?? Why would you suggest people ignore any app??

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception have been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with, some view it as a relic of the past and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not or want to continue using it or not?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Expert

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I've been using it quite often for the last 2 days to talk to a few of you all it's a great way to meet new people and also a great way to not give out your iMessage ID or real number.
    Elite1, Xopher, Anilu7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

There is no hidden agenda or anything like that. I created a thread containing a few questions based on discussions I've read in other threads...oh, and fulfilling one of my Ambassador duties....
    Jaguarr40, pr1nce and Anilu7 like this.

I keep going back and forth, I really don't have a need for it everyone that I know basically is on iMessage . Never really used it when I had BB, not that there's anything wrong with it. But when I had BB, nobody I knew was using it.
    But there is a tiny little bit of curiosity !
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    JustMe'D and pr1nce like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts

BBM....it's like walking past a PAC-man arcade game and playing a round or two. Fun. Nostalgic. But not something I would use daily.

Sent from somewhere.
    JustMe'D, pr1nce and Etios like this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    33,406 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    N/A

I think it's fine if people want to use it or fine if they don't. I just wouldn't expect those who still have BlackBerry devices to expect their friends to use BBM just because it's available.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    4,724 Global Posts

I'm using BBM on my Note 2 to chat with friends and family on iPhone and Android. BBM Groups come in very handy for group conversations, and the group lists are already a big plus.

Is it something everyone will use? If course not. If you only chat with certain people, then what you are using now will work fine. Is BBM for only chatting with people who still have a BlackBerry? Of course not. You can chat with anyone who has BBM irregardless of platform. It's just a matter of personal preference.
    Thanked by:
    Anilu7 (10-25-2013), ghundiraj (11-04-2013), JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts

I like BlackBerry products and I do like BBM on BB10. But on both my iPhone and Android, BBM is almost useless to me.

I am in a few BBM groups who are all pretty active. So I have notification turned off for those groups and check when I can, rather than getting alerted constantly. On iPhone and Android I can't find the option to only mute certain groups and leave notification on for the rest. So I simply turn it all off and just check the app whenever I can. This takes the instant out of "instant messenging".
    (if anyone know where to find those options, please let me know)

My second issue, I have a BBM group which mysteriously disappeared while I was on ios. I can't access it or anything, but I still get notification badges on the icon from that group. Which prompted me to even turn off the badge.

I tried it on Android, and rejoined the group, only to find that group disappearing again after a few days.

It's nice and all to see BBM on iPhone and Android, but the app is pretty buggy. It's definitely usable, but too buggy for my liking. I want to recommend friend to get the app, but these issues along with needing to wait to sign up? No thanks. Not until they fix these issues.

Have you ever recommended a friend to get a playbook and told him that The new OS, BlackBerry 10 will be coming to it and he ended up getting the 64Gb model? I have... And we all know how that went...
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

As a BB guy mainly I must say, having it cross(multi) platform means i can remove a few chat apps from my legacy 9800 (saves some resources)...
    On my Z10 I prefer it as it is at its best in BB10. i keep the others for show.
    So in essence I can understand why some may prefer Imessage on a IOS device if thats all you need.
    BBMx has options(different NOT more atm) not in Imessage that you may find useful (someone mentioned planning a wedding using groups for task list and group chat and calendar sharing) don't knock it until you try it.
    Especially On a BB10 device if you can, you might just be pleasantly surprised to find out what the hype and excitement is all about.
    just my 2 cents...

@Alex Hong if its the MN TM group we have a 1device only policy to make room for others to join. IDK if that is group but I do remember someone asking which of your devices to keep in.

BBM is free so im lost on the playbook comment.
    Last edited by pcguy514; 10-25-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: consolidated post
    Thanked by:
    Alex_Hong (10-26-2013), JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    Anilu7 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?
    People should always be open minded to something new. Who knows: maybe it will help them out. I had no respect for BBM outside of it's messaging abilities (which I can now get via Hangouts or iMessage) but I'm in love with the idea of a group having a calendar and a shared task list. Now THAT is some good stuff.

However, I think the amount of people required to give BBM critical mass won't be there. "ANOTHER messaging app?" Is what they will say. I wish they'd try it out, but then again, I'm in to these things. I'll give it the time of day and mental clock cycles to explore it. I imagine most people here are the same.

Most people outside of here will not. And that's a shame.
    Twitter: @GoodOLMC
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    JustMe'D, Elite1 and Anilu7 like this.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

I think a huge chunk of those download numbers are out of equal parts curiosity and nostalgia. Many current iOS/Android users (myself included) are former Blackberry owners and BBM users. The BBM app is new, it is free, and many people have fond memories of BBM. Add these three things together, you get massive downloads.

The real test is how many of these people will continue to use the service 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or more, out from release... and how many will drop it for the next new messaging app.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    JustMe'D, Etios and Anilu7 like this.

Global Posts
    16,379 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't have much use for it. I still have a few friends from my CrackBerry days who are using it. I didn't use it much even when I had my BlackBerry. All of my family or friends are now using iMessage.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    Super Moderator

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1015 View Post
    I think a huge chunk of those download numbers are out of equal parts curiosity and nostalgia. Many current iOS/Android users (myself included) are former Blackberry owners and BBM users. The BBM app is new, it is free, and many people have fond memories of BBM. Add these three things together, you get massive downloads.

The real test is how many of these people will continue to use the service 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or more, out from release... and how many will drop it for the next new messaging app.
    Pretty much all of this.. A lot of folks want to check it out and they don't really lose anything by doing so. If they don't like it, delete it and move on. It's obvious there is a bit of hype surrounding it at the moment but I'm interested in the long term lifespan as well.
    Chris Parsons
    Twitter: @Bla1ze

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry ]
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,299 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Not quite sure why this is even a question.
    BBM is an app like any other. If people want to use it fine. If they don't that's fine too.
    Personally I downloaded it. May delete it soon though. Not due to its being bad or good, just because I've never gotten into messaging apps even though I've tried most of them. Just not the chatty type, I guess.
    Karen very good answer to a somewhat touchy little subject right now that is really all over the map with many different feelings from old users of the past and new users now that were or were not users of the past. Thank you for you answer.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,299 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8.1.2

There is no hidden agenda or anything like that. I created a thread containing a few questions based on discussions I've read in other threads...oh, and fulfilling one of my Ambassador duties....
    I am at this point in reading and 'D is right about one thing, Nobody has really answered the direct question on the topic of the thread. This is mine: i am totally as of now Neutral on this out of respect that I have been accused of talking about my feelings too much. I hope 'D at least gets his topic of this thread answered anyway.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    JustMe'D likes this.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr40 View Post
    I am at this point in reading and 'D is right about one thing, Nobody has really answered the direct question on the topic of the thread. This is mine: i am totally as of now Neutral on this out of respect that I have been accused of talking about my feelings too much. I hope 'D at least gets his topic of this thread answered anyway.
    You do not have to be neutral in this thread or any other. If you have an opinion about what I asked in post #1, feel free to share it, if you'd like.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

I rarely used BBM on my Blackberry devices in the past and certainly won't be using it on my 5S, not even to test it out.... Been there, done that!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-25-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    12,118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parsons View Post
    Pretty much all of this.. A lot of folks want to check it out and they don't really lose anything by doing so. If they don't like it, delete it and move on. It's obvious there is a bit of hype surrounding it at the moment but I'm interested in the long term lifespan as well.
    Right now I am loving having my iOS and Android friends also using BBM! It is fun to co-ordinate evenings out between friends or family. As the above poster said, you don't lose anything by trying it. If it doesn't suit you, well and good, move on to something else. But you'll never really know until you try.
    Had lots of different phones: Kyocera 7135, Sony Katana, iPhone 4, BB Z10 - all with their merits. Love technological diversity!
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-26-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts

I think new prospective users should weigh it against other messaging services that are out there and then decide if BBM can hold its own.

Nostalgia shouldn't play a role because there has been additions made over the past year.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-26-2013)
    Elite1, Anilu7 and ghundiraj like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts

It's a personal perspective.
    1) A lot of people who will not even try it once are ones who have either a negative image of BlackBerry or have NO USE for it whatsoever.
    2) A lot of people are just trying it for it's novelty, which is alright. Once the novelty wears off, they will surely make a decision that is appropriate for them.
    3) Some ex-BB users are back, which is easy for them because they can right off the bat use their BBIDs and ease in. They will again weigh it according to their prior experience and the current availability of friends and family on BBM
    4) Some were waiting for something like this, which would offer them the ability to have a cross-platform (barring Windows) messaging app. These people will look past the initial teething problems
    of cross-platform BBM till it becomes a little more stable.

I believe this topic is being beaten to death in forums across the interweb.
    Like all other apps, this too should be taken as a simple messaging app.
    Like? Use it!
    Don't? Delete it....

In the end, like some users I spoke with earlier, they don't want to move because they're good where they are and don't see the need.
    Fair enough
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-26-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,072 Global Posts
    iOS Version

People who use BBM strictly for messaging would probably see less reason to stick it out long term. WhatsApp and even SMS has a good hold on that end, and it's tough to break old habits and learn a new UI. But if someone likes the ability to have things like group calendars and chats, and not having to give out any personal or semi-personal info like an email address or phone number then they may appreciate what BBM offers. I have contacts on my list from iMore and CrackBerry that I probably under normal circumstances wouldn't have if it weren't for BBM. I'm just hoping they bring the voice calling, video chat, screen share and Channels to the rest sooner rather than later so it's more of a communications suite than "just another instant messenger".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPhone 5s, iPad mini retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (10-26-2013)
    Elite1, Anilu7 and mujahid 10 like this.

Give it a try!!!! What can it hurt?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    12,118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Give it a try!!!! What can it hurt?
    Absolutely, Q!
    Had lots of different phones: Kyocera 7135, Sony Katana, iPhone 4, BB Z10 - all with their merits. Love technological diversity!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast