Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past or test it out if they want?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?

Last edited:

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Up to you, but 20+ million downloads in just 3 days says they're on to something a lot of people have an interest in. That might even be a record?? And yes, I have it on my S3, 4S and z10.

I too wonder what the real reason for your question is?? Why would you suggest people ignore any app??

As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception have been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with, some view it as a relic of the past and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not or want to continue using it or not?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using it quite often for the last 2 days to talk to a few of you all :) it's a great way to meet new people and also a great way to not give out your iMessage ID or real number.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no hidden agenda or anything like that. I created a thread containing a few questions based on discussions I've read in other threads...oh, and fulfilling one of my Ambassador duties....:)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I keep going back and forth, I really don't have a need for it everyone that I know basically is on iMessage . Never really used it when I had BB, not that there's anything wrong with it. But when I had BB, nobody I knew was using it.
But there is a tiny little bit of curiosity !

lush242000

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
BBM....it's like walking past a PAC-man arcade game and playing a round or two. Fun. Nostalgic. But not something I would use daily.

Sent from somewhere.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's fine if people want to use it or fine if they don't. I just wouldn't expect those who still have BlackBerry devices to expect their friends to use BBM just because it's available.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Xopher

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm using BBM on my Note 2 to chat with friends and family on iPhone and Android. BBM Groups come in very handy for group conversations, and the group lists are already a big plus.

Is it something everyone will use? If course not. If you only chat with certain people, then what you are using now will work fine. Is BBM for only chatting with people who still have a BlackBerry? Of course not. You can chat with anyone who has BBM irregardless of platform. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I like BlackBerry products and I do like BBM on BB10. But on both my iPhone and Android, BBM is almost useless to me.

I am in a few BBM groups who are all pretty active. So I have notification turned off for those groups and check when I can, rather than getting alerted constantly. On iPhone and Android I can't find the option to only mute certain groups and leave notification on for the rest. So I simply turn it all off and just check the app whenever I can. This takes the instant out of "instant messenging".
(if anyone know where to find those options, please let me know)

My second issue, I have a BBM group which mysteriously disappeared while I was on ios. I can't access it or anything, but I still get notification badges on the icon from that group. Which prompted me to even turn off the badge.

I tried it on Android, and rejoined the group, only to find that group disappearing again after a few days.

It's nice and all to see BBM on iPhone and Android, but the app is pretty buggy. It's definitely usable, but too buggy for my liking. I want to recommend friend to get the app, but these issues along with needing to wait to sign up? No thanks. Not until they fix these issues.

Have you ever recommended a friend to get a playbook and told him that The new OS, BlackBerry 10 will be coming to it and he ended up getting the 64Gb model? I have... And we all know how that went...

pcguy514

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
As a BB guy mainly I must say, having it cross(multi) platform means i can remove a few chat apps from my legacy 9800 (saves some resources)...
On my Z10 I prefer it as it is at its best in BB10. i keep the others for show.
So in essence I can understand why some may prefer Imessage on a IOS device if thats all you need.
BBMx has options(different NOT more atm) not in Imessage that you may find useful (someone mentioned planning a wedding using groups for task list and group chat and calendar sharing) don't knock it until you try it.
Especially On a BB10 device if you can, you might just be pleasantly surprised to find out what the hype and excitement is all about.
just my 2 cents...

@Alex Hong if its the MN TM group we have a 1device only policy to make room for others to join. IDK if that is group but I do remember someone asking which of your devices to keep in.

BBM is free so im lost on the playbook comment.

Last edited:

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?

People should always be open minded to something new. Who knows: maybe it will help them out. I had no respect for BBM outside of it's messaging abilities (which I can now get via Hangouts or iMessage) but I'm in love with the idea of a group having a calendar and a shared task list. Now THAT is some good stuff.

However, I think the amount of people required to give BBM critical mass won't be there. "ANOTHER messaging app?" Is what they will say. I wish they'd try it out, but then again, I'm in to these things. I'll give it the time of day and mental clock cycles to explore it. I imagine most people here are the same.

Most people outside of here will not. And that's a shame.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think a huge chunk of those download numbers are out of equal parts curiosity and nostalgia. Many current iOS/Android users (myself included) are former Blackberry owners and BBM users. The BBM app is new, it is free, and many people have fond memories of BBM. Add these three things together, you get massive downloads.

The real test is how many of these people will continue to use the service 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or more, out from release... and how many will drop it for the next new messaging app.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much use for it. I still have a few friends from my CrackBerry days who are using it. I didn't use it much even when I had my BlackBerry. All of my family or friends are now using iMessage.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I think a huge chunk of those download numbers are out of equal parts curiosity and nostalgia. Many current iOS/Android users (myself included) are former Blackberry owners and BBM users. The BBM app is new, it is free, and many people have fond memories of BBM. Add these three things together, you get massive downloads.

The real test is how many of these people will continue to use the service 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or more, out from release... and how many will drop it for the next new messaging app.

Pretty much all of this.. A lot of folks want to check it out and they don't really lose anything by doing so. If they don't like it, delete it and move on. It's obvious there is a bit of hype surrounding it at the moment but I'm interested in the long term lifespan as well.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Not quite sure why this is even a question.
BBM is an app like any other. If people want to use it fine. If they don't that's fine too.
Personally I downloaded it. May delete it soon though. Not due to its being bad or good, just because I've never gotten into messaging apps even though I've tried most of them. Just not the chatty type, I guess.
Karen very good answer to a somewhat touchy little subject right now that is really all over the map with many different feelings from old users of the past and new users now that were or were not users of the past. Thank you for you answer.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no hidden agenda or anything like that. I created a thread containing a few questions based on discussions I've read in other threads...oh, and fulfilling one of my Ambassador duties....:)
I am at this point in reading and 'D is right about one thing, Nobody has really answered the direct question on the topic of the thread. This is mine: i am totally as of now Neutral on this out of respect that I have been accused of talking about my feelings too much. I hope 'D at least gets his topic of this thread answered anyway.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am at this point in reading and 'D is right about one thing, Nobody has really answered the direct question on the topic of the thread. This is mine: i am totally as of now Neutral on this out of respect that I have been accused of talking about my feelings too much. I hope 'D at least gets his topic of this thread answered anyway.

You do not have to be neutral in this thread or any other. If you have an opinion about what I asked in post #1, feel free to share it, if you'd like. :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I rarely used BBM on my Blackberry devices in the past and certainly won't be using it on my 5S, not even to test it out.... Been there, done that!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much all of this.. A lot of folks want to check it out and they don't really lose anything by doing so. If they don't like it, delete it and move on. It's obvious there is a bit of hype surrounding it at the moment but I'm interested in the long term lifespan as well.

Right now I am loving having my iOS and Android friends also using BBM! :dancing: It is fun to co-ordinate evenings out between friends or family. As the above poster said, you don't lose anything by trying it. If it doesn't suit you, well and good, move on to something else. But you'll never really know until you try. :)

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think new prospective users should weigh it against other messaging services that are out there and then decide if BBM can hold its own.

Nostalgia shouldn't play a role because there has been additions made over the past year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh