BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgmt via the iMore Blog

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

I think everyone assumes Blackberry is a dead service. While it had been at the bottom in the US it was still very near the top or was the top in other countries. Blackberry is not so close to be being bankrupt and failing as so many of you think, that they are singing a swan song. No, on the contrary, I believe putting BBM cross platform will help keep users on BB as you have pointed out, but also get old users back to BB after the realize how much more amazing BBM is now than it was before. Those BB fans will want to at least try out a Z10 or Q10 and may jump back. I also think Blackberry realizes that many iOS users are so deeply integrated and rooted into the Apple ecosystem that they can't easily make a platform switch or simply refuse to try. BBM cross platform isn't the end, it's a compromise.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

BBM is not going to bring anyone back to the Blackberry boat...it's not THAT much better than it used to be, sure...it has a few new features, but it's still on a device that is a few years behind the rest of the league. As far as the argument that it's still huge overseas...if you go look, overseas markets look very similar to our own, with Samsung and Apple duking it out (and even Nokia still up there in some places) at the top and blackberry floundering around with many other available devices. This "overseas" argument seems to be where many BB fans go while debating, but the truth is, it's simply not true...Blackberry is struggling WORLDWIDE, not just in the states.

I agree with you on one point though...BBM is a compromise, Blackberry realizes that in order to keep their name relevant in the smart phone market, they have to make sure people on the leading platforms see they still exist, and keep their user core able to communicate with their circles that have moved on, and maybe keep that core on BB devices because of such.

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

BlackBerry is more than just hardware. I can't understand why so many folks are down on this. Why does it mean the end of BlackBerry?

Putting BBM on iOS is the smartest thing BlackBerry has ever done with the platform. It's a much better messaging tool than Whatsapp, and GTalk, and the video calling is seriously probably the best mobile video calling experience I've ever used. On any platform.

I can't wait to get a hold of this.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

BBM is not going to bring anyone back to the Blackberry boat...it's not THAT much better than it used to be, sure...it has a few new features, but it's still on a device that is a few years behind the rest of the league. As far as the argument that it's still huge overseas...if you go look, overseas markets look very similar to our own, with Samsung and Apple duking it out (and even Nokia still up there in some places) at the top and blackberry floundering around with many other available devices. This "overseas" argument seems to be where many BB fans go while debating, but the truth is, it's simply not true...Blackberry is struggling WORLDWIDE, not just in the states.

I agree with you on one point though...BBM is a compromise, Blackberry realizes that in order to keep their name relevant in the smart phone market, they have to make sure people on the leading platforms see they still exist, and keep their user core able to communicate with their circles that have moved on, and maybe keep that core on BB devices because of such.

Your reply is on-point, my friend. ;) To the people who may feel offended at the things that are being stated here in regard to BBM, don't be. Many of us are former Blackberry owners and are not saying that Blackberry devices or BBM are not great or appreciated, but we are saying, at least I am, that making BBM available for iOS will not greatly improve Blackberry's status among the smartphone hierarchy, so to speak.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

BlackBerry is more than just hardware. I can't understand why so many folks are down on this. Why does it mean the end of BlackBerry?

Putting BBM on iOS is the smartest thing BlackBerry has ever done with the platform. It's a much better messaging tool than Whatsapp, and GTalk, and the video calling is seriously probably the best mobile video calling experience I've ever used. On any platform.

It's a glimmer of life on a dying planet...and let's be 100% honest, Blackberry is about 99.9999999% hardware and the rest you can call whatever you deem accurate i suppose. For all intents and purposes, yes, Blackberry is all hardware and now they're dipping their feet into building an OS that people recognize...let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Blackberry's OS development isn't something anyone was writing home about until earlier this year, and we've yet to see the kind of legs this OS has.

I'm not down on Blackberry, I'm just an outsider looking in with nothing invested and no real care either way...I will, however, say that i don't want BB to fail, because the competition is healthy across the board, and such a huge piece of the history of smart phones just dying would not do anything positive for anyone, especially on the consumer level.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES ...

I don't think people, in general, are opposed to BBM being on iOS or are downplaying how great of a tool it is. A lot of people are now using non-blackberry devices and don't have a need or use for BBM. At least that's my take on it and is the case with me.

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

No need for it.

BergerKing

May 10, 2013
Visit site

There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.

crackcookie

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

BBM uses data and this is a global world we live in. A lot of people are traveling or have friends who travel. BBM would allow you, if integrated properly and working in fine order, to text, call, an video chat everyone (sorry MS users and um.....what is that other brand of smartphone) while you are in another country.

My friend went to London with his iphone...and didn't turn off data or texting...he just called people and got a bill near $1,000.....with BBM, you don't need another SIM card or another phone, you can just turn off your cell data, use wifi, and call people (as long as they are on wifi) like you normally would. I know you could always use email, but I think people just don't like communicating via email.

I don't see this as a game changer, but it should put Whats app and kik out of business....and then eventually lure some people over to BB

louzer

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.

It'll be nice to have a way to get groups back communicating with each other even if some members went to other platforms. But I agree with Jaguarr40 about BBM eating battery. If BB rolls out BBM for iOS and batteries start dying left and right, then it's a fail. If not, it will be nice to have options to bridge platforms.

louzer

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

BBM uses data and this is a global world we live in. A lot of people are traveling or have friends who travel. BBM would allow you, if integrated properly and working in fine order, to text, call, an video chat everyone (sorry MS users and um.....what is that other brand of smartphone) while you are in another country.

My friend went to London with his iphone...and didn't turn off data or texting...he just called people and got a bill near $1,000.....with BBM, you don't need another SIM card or another phone, you can just turn off your cell data, use wifi, and call people (as long as they are on wifi) like you normally would. I know you could always use email, but I think people just don't like communicating via email.

I don't see this as a game changer, but it should put Whats app and kik out of business....and then eventually lure some people over to BB

"if integrated properly and working in fine order" is the key here.

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I will probably get it because I have one daughter and husband on it and a few of my closest friends that are on Z10's, the rest of my family and friends are all on iPhone now but I'm not telling ANYONE else that I have it...NO ONE !! One of the reasons I left bb was because I was finding bbm becoming so intrusive. CB contacts that I never spoke on the phone with suddenly calling me on via bbm calling and peoples comments on status changes especially co-workers to the point of not being able to be myself. iMessage I'm more comfortable with....and that's my 2 cents :)

iToya

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm down for BBM available across platform. I don't think it's a ploy to get people to buy a BlackBerry. Seriously, why switch if you get BBM on iOS? I think it's a move to spread the BlackBerry brand. The simple fact that people are having conversation about the company seems like they are gaining a buzz whether it be, "I don't need BBM." "I want to try it out" or whatever. I say bring it on!

BBM going cross platform has the potential to make waves in social networking. Bold move indeed.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Bold move for sure.

With BBM voice etc, it is a much better application than Whatsapp which has been immensely successful. Also, BBM is much more featured than imessage.

This makes sense for the state of affairs that BlackBerry is in today. They have a chance to be THE Gold Standard for cross platform messaging. I've read articles in the news that these apps will be the "next social media". They enable users to have profiles etc. Who knows where this will be in 5 years. Noone could have predicted the present 5 years ago thats for sure. Im EXCITED!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Your reply is on-point, my friend. ;) To the people who may feel offended at the things that are being stated here in regard to BBM, don't be. Many of us are former Blackberry owners and are not saying that Blackberry devices or BBM are not great or appreciated, but we are saying, at least I am, that making BBM available for iOS will not greatly improve Blackberry's status among the smartphone hierarchy, so to speak.
Very well said and could not agree more. A number of us are ex-BB users and we remember BBM very well, At least I do and while I am not against it in any way, I have moved on and it is my perogative to stay on the messaging service with the platform I am using now and it's Native service which just happens to be iOS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

Bold move for sure.

With BBM voice etc, it is a much better application than Whatsapp which has been immensely successful. Also, BBM is much more featured than imessage.

This makes sense for the state of affairs that BlackBerry is in today. They have a chance to be THE Gold Standard for cross platform messaging. I've read articles in the news that these apps will be the "next social media". They enable users to have profiles etc. Who knows where this will be in 5 years. Noone could have predicted the present 5 years ago thats for sure. Im EXCITED!

Google is doing the same thing now. MS already has. As an iOS user, i don't mind having all BBM, skype, and google's offering on my iphone to accommodate my contacts on those platforms (especially if those services are preinstalled on their phones). But none of these will get me to buy a BB, android, or wp8 phone. With an iphone now, you have it all. With any of the others, there's no imessage. It's always best to have what others already have preinstalled. That way, it just works.

Also, keep in mind google now which was integrated into the google search app for iOS. It's not a great experience on iOS because it cannot be baked into iOS. In fact, it's something that isn't worth having imo. How good can BBM be on non-BB devices? Don't assume it's such a stellar experience yet.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

That D/R thing I wish I could turn off. The delivered is nice but I don't want people to see if I've read something. I may have time to read it but not respond and don't need an additional dozen messages asking what I'm doing. At least with iMessage, I can turn it on and off.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have not gotten the idea that anyone has really become offended at anything being said here as opposed to just simply giving their own personal opinions. Right or wrong, I don't think there is either. I just think that there are many varying opinions based on the platform people are using right now and even the willingness to try BBM on cross platform.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I have not gotten the idea that anyone has really become offended at anything being said here as opposed to just simply giving their own personal opinions. Right or wrong, I don't think there is either. I just think that there are many varying opinions based on the platform people are using right now and even the willingness to try BBM on cross platform.

I hope people aren't offended. I'm sure a lot of people will download it just to see what it's like, and I more than likely will, too, but unless the people I normally associate with adapt to using it in lieu of iMessage or another preferred messaging app since they are no longer Blackberry device users, I doubt I'll find it useful. I hope I'm wrong, though.

BergerKing

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Those sound like the same features iMessages has. But only for iOS users whereas bbm will soon be cross-platform. I'll be curious to try it out although I'm not sure I know anyone using bbm anymore.

I still know quite a few, fortunately. Currently using WhatsApp to bridge the gap, so I'll be looking to see how this is implemented.

BergerKing

May 10, 2013
Visit site

It'll be nice to have a way to get groups back communicating with each other even if some members went to other platforms. But I agree with Jaguarr40 about BBM eating battery. If BB rolls out BBM for iOS and batteries start dying left and right, then it's a fail. If not, it will be nice to have options to bridge platforms.

I concur. My biggest BBM battery killer was the group joins, as I was in groups dealing with OS changes, and reorganizing each time someone upgraded was a PITA. With a little discipline, though, this was kept in check.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox