Taking The Ultimate Picture

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So I was looking at some of the Shot on iPhone pictures from the One Night campaign they did on November 5th and I was floored by those pictures. If I recall, you're a photo expert yourself, no?

What tips would you offer a novice on taking the perfect shot? And are accessories used to take some of these impressive photos to make them truly stand out?

Serenity Caldwell

Managing Editor
Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if I'd call myself an *expert*, but I really do love mobile photography. And yeah, those pictures were incredible.

The biggest thing when it comes to low light photography is stillness: Either *you* have to be still, or your subject has to be. One of my favorite low light shots I've taken in recent memory was this guy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN9ZXCggEZY/

I didn't use anything other than the app Obscura, a *very* steady hand, and using the lip of the fountain to steady my iPhone 7 Plus. You really, really need a steady surface (ideally a tripod) to keep the phone from shaking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNPLqfXAM-V/

Same principle for this photo: rest the iPhone on a steady surface and pray. This was pitch darkness on a pier, with only the moon (off to the left) for light.

There are some great tools you can use to improve your low-light shots, for sure:

- A remote shutter button will keep you from shaking the iPhone when you go to take the photo
- Some sort of steadying rig for your iPhone (a Glif for a tripod, or even a simple $6-$10 portable plastic Amazon stand)
- A pocket reflector (like this: Pocket Reflector - Photojojo) to bounce the light you do have onto your subject

Beyond that, it's having an eye for the action. The night is a time for mystery and delight: What is going to truly capture that spirit that you can photograph?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost