Moving from external hard drive to iCloud Drive

JadRahme

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rene,

My MacBook Pro got stolen 2 years ago. I decided to try and go iOS only before getting a new Mac. It was great and suited me perfectly.
Now I have an external hard drive with some back up data and miscellaneous data from the past 7/8 years and I can't access them from my iPad or iPhone. They're on relatively old hard drive that don't have wireless tech.

I want to move all that data to iCloud Drive so I have it on the cloud in case my external hard drive dies on me but also to be able to access those files anytime from any device.

Do you think that's a good idea? If not, what do you suggest? And if yes what is the best way for me to do it?
Note: I recently got a MacBook at work which I can use for the transfer but I want to upload those files straight onto iCloud without putting them on my work MacBook because it doesn't have enough size for all this data obviously. And unfortunately you can't upload folder on iCloud.com. you can only upload files.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, @JadRahme !

I wish I knew the answer to this... do you have a friend with a computer you can use to transfer the files?

Dropbox will allow you to choose what files/folders to sync locally to the computer, so you should be able to set something up, tell Dropbox not to sync locally, and then move the files over. There's also an iOS app.

I'm not aware of any way to do the same with iCloud Drive though it may be possible.

JadRahme

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey @robertk328

Yup can totally do that on Dropbox or Google Drive using my work MacBook. However, i'm trying to look for an iCloud Drive solution preferably because I use iCloud for everything else + it's integrated with all  devices.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey @robertk328

Yup can totally do that on Dropbox or Google Drive using my work MacBook. However, i'm trying to look for an iCloud Drive solution preferably because I use iCloud for everything else + it's integrated with all  devices.

I was going to suggest iCloud Drive, BUT it keeps a local copy, basically syncing it between devices. I steered you away from that because of your issue with no personal MacBook to use to keep the files on. I use it between my devices but don't see any way to keep it cloud-based only, which is a problem.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 7.42.18 AM.png

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, I know Windows is not Mac, but I sort of had a similar situation. With my Windows laptop I can connect my external hard drive, then open iCould Drive in a web browser and drag files directly from my external drive to my iCloud folders. Yes, you have to create the folder in iCloud first, but can then drag files directly. I can now access those files on all my other iOS devices. (Would love to get a Mac but it's just not in the funds right now).

I also stayed away from iCould Drive because, just like the Dropbox Windows app, it also stores local files.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR