When creating a new contact in iOS

GaryYakstis

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi Renee, here is something that never made any sense to me. If I am creating a new contact on my iPhone (an iPhone 7Plus running the latest iOS) after adding name and company when I add the individual's phone number it seems to be random as to how iOS categorizes the phone number, i.e. mobile, work, home etc. I usually get one of the random categories like pager or home fax. It seems that there should be a way to have a default category, like mobile, then change it to something else when necessary. Do you have any suggestions?? Thanks

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
When you tap on "Edit" at the top right, then tap on the blue name designation. Then choose another, or add a custom name.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Hi Renee, here is something that never made any sense to me. If I am creating a new contact on my iPhone (an iPhone 7Plus running the latest iOS) after adding name and company when I add the individual's phone number it seems to be random as to how iOS categorizes the phone number, i.e. mobile, work, home etc. I usually get one of the random categories like pager or home fax. It seems that there should be a way to have a default category, like mobile, then change it to something else when necessary. Do you have any suggestions?? Thanks

Weird. I get "Home" every time. I wonder if it's trying to guess based on some behavior pattern?

GaryYakstis

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
Tis just two key presses to change it. As Ledsteplin said.

As I look at it further, that feature is called a label within iOS Contacts. My default is Home fax, go figure, then radio. Still makes no sense. I can't seem to find a way to re-arrange the labels to make the mobile label become the default.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As I look at it further, that feature is called a label within iOS Contacts. My default is Home fax, go figure, then radio. Still makes no sense. I can't seem to find a way to re-arrange the labels to make the mobile label become the default.

You have to change it to what you want. Mine is "Home" by default. But I usually change it to something else, like iPhone or support or something. You can't change the default. Not sure why yours is "Home Fax". If you could reset it to the proper default, it still wouldn't be "Mobile". You have to set that yourself to whatever you want. Use the "add custom" or choose whatever is available.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW