Unable to air play to new Apple TV

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I got a new Apple TV 4th gen for Christmas and I set it up using the same Ethernet cable as the old Apple TV. I am unable to air play from my iPhone 7 or my iPad to the new Apple TV. The only devices that appear are the old Apple TV [moved to our sitting room] and the family room Apple TV. I've looked in the Apple TV settings and I have enabled Air Play but still, the new Apple TV is not available for me to select.

I've seen articles that say both the iPhone and the Apple TV need to be on the same wi-fi network however, this Apple TV is connected via an Ethernet cable.

Not sure what else I need to do.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As long as the Ethernet cable is connected to the same modem/router that the WiFi is coming from then you shouldn't be having an issue. Maybe a dumb question, but, have you rebooted the devices?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Hey! Thanks for asking!

You can absolutely use your Apple TV on Ethernet and still AirPlay to it. But, you need to have Wi-Fi enabled on the Apple TV and iPhone, even if it's not the connection. That way, even if they're not on the same network, they can use point-to-point ad-hoc Wi-Fi to connect. (You'll just get a passcode on screen you need to enter to verify the devices.)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2