Would you recommend the Apple Watch to me?

Alistair Ward

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been debating whether to get the Watch for some time now. I have the 7 Plus, but I'm wondering if the Watch would be a good complement for my needs. I like the sound of it, and think the design is gorgeous, but I'm not sure that warrants spending the money.

I'm not all that into fitness, so what else can it be used for apart from checking your notifications? Perhaps I'm slightly concerned that having a Watch would mean I don't use my phone anywhere near as much, whereas I want to due to the high cost that I paid for it!

What can you actually use a Watch for, how does it benefit your life, and is a 'simple' attribute such as it being a quick way to check your notifications more beneficial than it sounds?

Lastly, is there any impact on battery life?

Just to say, if I did get one I'd more than likely get the updated Series 1, just to see if I like it.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Get one, try it, and if it's not for you, take it back before the 14 day return period ends. (Check your local store's policy to make sure.)

I use it for everything from fitness to Apple Pay to notifications to communications. But you have to try it for yourself to really make sure it suits you :)

Alistair Ward

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply Rene.

They look great but I want to see how it would truly help me complete tasks that I regularly do. The iPhone obviously does, the iPad is also great for me, just not sure about the Watch at the moment. I'm just so tempted haha!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Hers 'n his Apple Watches ended up being surprise hits for my wife and for me. We both have the 7 Plus phones and value them as well as the watches for same and very different reasons.

Battery life has exceeded our expectations and we have days where a third party sports app will keep GPS and communication going for 2-3 hours of MTB rides. The battery's lasted for full days of mountain skiing. Full days of using it for messages and communication in my work (IT admin).

For my wife it's more fitness tracker, and the alarms plus messaging are great because she has restrictions on phone use at work. I value some apps that are good for my work as an IT director and network administrator as much as for sports.

We both like them because the design works, and they can be fun. We don't watch TV.

We debated on Series 1 vs 2 and are glad to have the 2. For my wife that's to be phone-free. For both of us it accommodates are being hikers, bikers (MTB), snorkelers etc....

I love it for shopping. The physical wallet and phone are nowhere in sight.

One more pleasant surprise - navigation. I like the vibration on wrist more than I like navigation blaring out commands or looking away from the road. Last week I was in another large city where an interchange had changed since I was there. I liked the reminders on my wrist as far as safety when I was in an 8 lane section of freeway moving fast at rush hour.

In a way the watch will have you use your phone more than ever and in good new ways. Your 7 Plus is worth it just for the camera and you'll have remote control of camera and video. Home body? The 7 Plus(s) sit on the counter while the watches control their playing podcasts or music or radio.

You say not into fitness? For some I know the nudge factor of the rings didn't turn them into gym people but got them to stick with better physical and diet habits.

Basically the watch and large screen phones have us (wife, me) eating words spoken or typed earlier. It's total first world problems but we like both. We have a lot of fun with the sharing features. Not just knowing where we or the kids are but friendly competition.

I say buy a Series 2 where you know it can be returned but take this warning. Get it in a color and band you want. Every skeptic I know who did it kept the watch.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize this was "Ask Rene." I just saw the unanswered category.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply Rene.

They look great but I want to see how it would truly help me complete tasks that I regularly do. The iPhone obviously does, the iPad is also great for me, just not sure about the Watch at the moment. I'm just so tempted haha!

Tasks are one of the strong points for me. I sync to my personal Apple reminders and work tasks (enterprise Office 365). Sure I get the alarms at a computer and via my phone but find the alarms on watch harder to ignore. The nudge factor is really good for getting a few more little things done and even better for not forgetting a task asked of me that could leave someone unhappy.

I set the phone reminders app for family shared tasks, my own, and sync to the enterprise. It's been reliable with Apple, Microsoft and Google for the back end or server side.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not all that into fitness

You say that now and I wasn't when I got the Series 2 but you'll become obsessed with closing the Activity rings. It's even more fun if you know others with the Watch so you can share and compare results.

I find the AW compliments the iPhone perfectly and I'm sure you will too.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been debating whether to get the Watch for some time now. I have the 7 Plus, but I'm wondering if the Watch would be a good complement for my needs. I like the sound of it, and think the design is gorgeous, but I'm not sure that warrants spending the money.

I'm not all that into fitness, so what else can it be used for apart from checking your notifications? Perhaps I'm slightly concerned that having a Watch would mean I don't use my phone anywhere near as much, whereas I want to due to the high cost that I paid for it!

What can you actually use a Watch for, how does it benefit your life, and is a 'simple' attribute such as it being a quick way to check your notifications more beneficial than it sounds?

Lastly, is there any impact on battery life?

Just to say, if I did get one I'd more than likely get the updated Series 1, just to see if I like it.

As I've stated on numerous occasions in these forums, I thought the Watch would not be practical in my life. Man, was I WRONG! Anyway, as stated above, you have 14 days to give a try, and if you don't like it or find that it doesn't suit you or your needs, return it within the return period. What do have to lose?

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
It's kind of a personal decision but I'm glad I got one. I have used it everyday since I purchased it. Much easier than taking your phone out every time you receive a text or email..very accurate time piece as well.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
As some have stated, the watch becomes another part of your life basically with the ability to have quick access. I had to send my 1st watch off for repairs and started to feel the slight inconvenience to pull out my phone for a 10 second phone call or etc. Even if you are wobbling between a yes and no decision, buy one and take it for a test drive.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
As some have stated, the watch becomes another part of your life basically with the ability to have quick access. I had to send my 1st watch off for repairs and started to feel the slight inconvenience to pull out my phone for a 10 second phone call or etc. Even if you are wobbling between a yes and no decision, buy one and take it for a test drive.

On "part of your life", I've noticed a pattern where more who have the Apple Watch have kept wearing (using) it more or more consistently. Yesterday I asked an associate where her FitBit was. She said it didn't look right with her outfit. A friend who loves his watch I believe is a Garmin said it's too big and stands out in a wrong way for some men's clothes. I will often think vanity and design can be silly but admit the design made long-term use more appealing.

My warning about the test drive is most I know stuck with their watch purchases. One surprise no was an early buyer who I bet would think differently with current software and Series 2.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
... One surprise no was an early buyer who I bet would think differently with current software and Series 2.
I order my Watch on April 13, 2015. It arrived 3 weeks later on May 4, 2015. That makes me an early buyer. With that in mind, my thoughts, as stated above, would be the same for the series 2 Watch because I would use it in the EXACT same manner as I use my current Watch...

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
On "part of your life", I've noticed a pattern where more who have the Apple Watch have kept wearing (using) it more or more consistently. Yesterday I asked an associate where her FitBit was. She said it didn't look right with her outfit. A friend who loves his watch I believe is a Garmin said it's too big and stands out in a wrong way for some men's clothes. I will often think vanity and design can be silly but admit the design made long-term use more appealing.

My warning about the test drive is most I know stuck with their watch purchases. One surprise no was an early buyer who I bet would think differently with current software and Series 2.

I was an early buyer pre-ordered right when it went live. Though I can admit I didn't jump at the chance of ordering the series 2 model. Wasn't much of a wow factor in my opinion to spend the money on it. But I've had the chance to experience a few days with out my 1 watch I bought when it had to be sent in for repairs. Also I continued to use it for 6 months when I switched to the s7 edge since I was able to still use the health tracker and music.

As you stated some said "didn't go with the outfit /stands Out" most people will use it as a fashion statement. It really just depends on what the person/persons initial intent of the item is. Just the same as you throwing a pair of Beats and a pair of Klipsch, the persons gonna choose the beats for vanity.🤷🏽*♂️. Just how the world is sadly lol.

Last edited:

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I was an early buyer pre-ordered right when it went live. Though I can admit I didn't jump at the chance of ordering the series 2 model. Wasn't much of a wow factor in my opinion to spend the money on it. But I've had the chance to experience a few days with out my 1 watch I bought when it had to be sent in for repairs. Also I continued to use it for 6 months when I switched to the s7 edge since I was able to still use the health tracker and music.

As you stated some said "didn't go with the outfit /stands Out" most people will use it as a fashion statement. It really just depends on what the person/persons initial intent of the item is. Just the same as you throwing a pair of Beats and a pair of Klipsch, the persons gonna choose the beats for vanity.🤷🏽*♂️. Just how the world is sadly lol.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I was an early buyer pre-ordered right when it went live. Though I can admit I didn't jump at the chance of ordering the series 2 model. Wasn't much of a wow factor in my opinion to spend the money on it.

As you stated some said "didn't go with the outfit /stands Out" most people will use it as a fashion statement. It really just depends on what the person/persons initial intent of the item is. Just the same as you throwing a pair of Beats and a pair of Klipsch, the persons gonna choose the beats for vanity.????????????*♂️. Just how the world is sadly lol.

I order my Watch on April 13, 2015. It arrived 3 weeks later on May 4, 2015. That makes me an early buyer. With that in mind, my thoughts, as stated above, would be the same for the series 2 Watch because I would use it in the EXACT same manner as I use my current Watch...

These associates had version 1 issues because not just because of feeling the software was not so great. GPS and not really a swimming or water watch were legitimate reasons.

Earlier in the week an associate who has a Garmin said he was not aware the 2 series had GPS and the swim abilities.

Maybe a triathlete with Series 2 needs to chime in regarding how much better it's become as a sports watch. The 3-8 hour incidents I've used the Series 2 for sports was with my Abvio Cyclemeter and phone as part of the deal. My wife using the watch alone seemed to show much more battery use but her biggest use days still had the watch charge last all day.

Garmin, Fitbit, Mio, Pebble, and Withings all had nice looking stuff in my product search, Series 2 conflicted with my inner cheapskate, but now I feel the premium is worth it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
These associates had version 1 issues because not just because of feeling the software was not so great. GPS and not really a swimming or water watch were legitimate reasons.

Earlier in the week an associate who has a Garmin said he was not aware the 2 series had GPS and the swim abilities.

Maybe a triathlete with Series 2 needs to chime in regarding how much better it's become as a sports watch. The 3-8 hour incidents I've used the Series 2 for sports was with my Abvio Cyclemeter and phone as part of the deal. My wife using the watch alone seemed to show much more battery use but her biggest use days still had the watch charge last all day.

Garmin, Fitbit, Mio, Pebble, and Withings all had nice looking stuff in my product search, Series 2 conflicted with my inner cheapskate, but now I feel the premium is worth it.

I'm confused. Are you doing a personal comparison of the Watch series? The reason I ask is because you appear to be making blanket statements as if everyone shares your opinion., and thus, my reply above. From "my" perspective, the newer Watch models didn't offer any improvements that would cause me to rush out and get one. That is a fact! Did others find the improvements worthy of an upgrade? Sure they did. Did many opt out of buying the original Watch Series because it was new and they thought it was full of kinks? Yep. Is the original Watch series trash? Heck no, as evidenced by those of us who are still wearing and appreciating it...

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. Are you doing a personal comparison of the Watch series? The reason I ask is because you appear to be making blanket statements as if everyone shares your opinion., and thus, my reply above. From "my" perspective, the newer Watch models didn't offer any improvements that would cause me to rush out and get one. That is a fact! Did others find the improvements worthy of an upgrade? Sure they did. Did many opt out of buying the original Watch Series because it was new and they thought it was full of kinks? Yep. Is the original Watch series trash? Heck no, as evidenced by those of us who are still wearing and appreciating it...

I'm not trashing the original watch. My associates who were disappointed with it mostly felt the lack of GPS and not being a swim watch were barriers, but some early buyers in the c suite I support did somehow feel it was not ready for prime time. I've suggested they update them vs let them sit in drawers.

It was not my intention to think everyone shares my opinion but I certainly see patterns and reactions to products being the IT director where there are almost 750 employees. For the c suite I can be way more personal tech babysitter than I wish which can also be insightful.

I was surprised that some associates didn't know a Series 2 solves what they considered problems.

My own feelings were get an original watch bargain or Series 1. I just ended up using and keeping the Series 2 my wife did not.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
At a glance, my Apple Watch shows me:

• Time
  • Weather
  • Up-coming appointments
  • How much water I've had

I also get the notifications, can see if a text message is important enough to reply back immediately (or answer back right from the watch without taking my phone out of my pocket).

To me it's very valuable -- I had a Pebble for a while too and outside of changing watch faces, there wasn't much to it and I eventually quit wearing it in charge of a plain Fitbit. With the Apple Watch, I don't go a day without it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods