Why are there so few Video Podcasts?

JohninCT2

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoy watching Twit's podcasts and MBW is my favorite. Why are there so few video podcasts? I would think those doing tech podcasts would, well, employ all the technology available. I know that there's a concern that something is lost when you are just listening to a video podcast, but that seems a manageable problem.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This was just asked on one of the audio podcasts I listen to. The answer made a lot of sense. It take 3 times as long to edit the podcast after the fact and when you are doing an audio only podcast you need to explain yourself better so people can make their own visuals. If you do a video podcast then you don't need to do that, but not everyone will watch your podcast, some will still just listen. So in the end you need to still explain everything.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Video is viewed by far fewer people but costs far, far more to produce and host.

As an example, when we did the video version of the iMore show for iTunes, it required 20x the effort of the audio version, cost 30x as much to host, and was downloaded by 10% as many people.

Also, when you're just recording talking heads, there's less value than an actual made-for-view show, and you tend to forget 90% of your audience can't see you so don't explain things as well.

cuttheredwire

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
While this makes sense, I still prefer short video podcasts. I have a back log of audio ones because I never listen to them. The CNET ones are my favorites: nice and short with complimenting full length articles. I used to watch Tech Crunch until they rotated hosts.

Still, if you want to watch Rene on a podcast, he's on TWiT plenty. I just wish they had shorter shows. I miss TN2N. :(