Hello Rene,

I am a photography enthusiast who has started to fall out of love with my DSLR primarily because editing pictures has become too tedious and time consuming. I have an aging unibody MacBook from 2009 that I've tried keeping relevant (upgraded to 8GBs of Ram and a 1TB SSD), but with an outdated processor, it takes me forever to tweak all of my RAW photos. I've considered updating to a new MBP, but I've been intrigued lately by the idea of instead getting a 12.9" iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. The idea of drawing in adjustments with the pencil or using it to retouch photos is very appealing (I recently shot some pictures of a few nieces and nephews, and I spent a few hours fixing the glare in one of my niece's glasses. I think an Apple Pencil could have really cut that time down.). I can't afford to get an iPad Pro and a MBP, but I can afford one. Would I regret getting the iPad Pro for all my editing and then transferring the photos to my aging MacBook? I did enjoy Serenity's article on using her iPad Pro for her workflow, but I'm curious about your take.

As a side note, I've tried really hard to like the Photos App on my Mac; but in terms of organizing and editing photos, i still find it lacking. I recently switched back to using Aperture, and I find it so much easier to organize and edit than Photos. I think I could live with the Photos App on the iPad Pro and then just use the Pixelmator app to do all my editing.

Thank you so much for your help!
    -Clegg
    01-26-2017 12:44 PM
    I'd suggest buying the iPad Pro, using it for a week, and seeing if you can live off the Mac. If so, yay. If not, return it and consider spending the money on a new Mac.

Apple offers two weeks to return products (double check in your region) and you can take advantage of that to make sure it's the right product for you.
    01-27-2017 08:27 AM
    Thanks Rene, I really appreciate it!

I never considered buying the iPad Pro and trying it out for a week. I always assumed there was a restocking fee for opened products, but after looking into it, there is no fee. So I think I'll take your advice and try a one week, risk free trial of a new iPad Pro. Hoping it will work as my new daily driver for all computing needs!
    01-27-2017 10:40 AM
    You also may want to consider a subscription to Adobes Lightroom to manage your photos.
    01-27-2017 11:07 AM