My phone case changed the colour of my iphone?

lilypop36

May 25, 2017
Visit site
I bought a patchworks sentinel iphone 7 case, and I used it for about a week or two. When I took it off, I noticed that it darkened the colour of my iphone rose gold. I know that it was the case that caused it because everywhere the case touches the phone is where the phone is darkened, and the only unaffected part is where the hole that exposes the camera is, in its exact shape. I even went to the apple store to compare my phone to the display phones and the unaffected part of my phone matched the display phones.

I tried googling it to see if anyone else had the same problem but I can't seem to find any similar issues.

So I was just wondering if anyone else ever had their iphone colour changed by their phone case? Does anyone know how to fix it, or what to do about it, if anything can even be done? It just kinda drives me crazy that that one patch is a different colour than the rest of the phone.

(Edited 'cause I didn't mean to imply that I was expecting a replacement phone from apple. Just mentioned going to apple in case anyone was going to tell me to go to apple.)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you "know that it was the case", why would you expect Apple to replace your iPhone? Furthermore, how much darker does the rose gold color appear? Anyway, I would simply use a different protective case and move on, especially if the device is working properly and isn't damaged, but that's Just Me, D...

lilypop36

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I was expecting a replacement from them. Just thought I'd mention that I went to the apple store to see if they knew anything, in case anyone here was going to tell me to go to the apple store to get it checked out.

It's like more of a darker peachy colour now than the bright pink. Definitely noticable. Just kinda sucks 'cause the reason I went with iphone was 'cause I liked the rose gold, and now I messed it up by buying a bad case.

I knew it'd be a long shot for anyone to have a solution, but I thought I'd try just in case.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I was expecting a replacement from them. Just thought I'd mention that I went to the apple store to see if they knew anything, in case anyone here was going to tell me to go to the apple store to get it checked out.

It's like more of a darker peachy colour now than the bright pink. Definitely noticable. Just kinda sucks 'cause the reason I went with iphone was 'cause I liked the rose gold, and now I messed it up by buying a bad case.

I knew it'd be a long shot for anyone to have a solution, but I thought I'd try just in case.

Oh okay, and I'm sorry about the discoloration of your iPhone. Are you going to put a leather case or another type of case that conceals the discoloration?

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning it with something, maybe alcohol? Maybe it just left a layer of "something" that can be removed.

lilypop36

May 25, 2017
Visit site
I tried washing it with a damp washcloth like it says on the apple site cleaning instructions, but it didn't work. And I'm scared to use alcohol or anything abrasive 'cause I don't want to accidentally ruin my phone even more..

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I tried washing it with a damp washcloth like it says on the apple site cleaning instructions, but it didn't work. And I'm scared to use alcohol or anything abrasive 'cause I don't want to accidentally ruin my phone even more..

Rubbing alcohol or even hand sanitizer (I know it sounds weird) wouldn't hurt your phone as long as you didn't shove it up the charging port or something silly. I think it's worth a try. A microfiber cloth and some rubbing alcohol might go a long way.

lilypop36

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Yup I looked at reviews for the case and no one else seemed to have had the same problem as me.

Yeah I emailed the manufacturer and they told me they've never seen this issue before either, so they looked it up and suggested that I try using a mr. Clean magic eraser. Sadly the magic eraser didn't work.. And I also did end up trying rubbing alcohol, and it didn't work either. :/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234