iPhone wifi network priority

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to prioritize which wifi network your phone connects to by default when multiple are available?

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks! I have Comcast internet and so do multiple neighbors with the Xfinity hotspots enabled. I find our phones are connecting to these hotspots instead of my secure home network.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Well that sucks! I have Comcast internet and so do multiple neighbors with the Xfinity hotspots enabled. I find our phones are connecting to these hotspots instead of my secure home network.

I had that same problem with the hotspots from my provider. I simply did the 'Forget this network' option for the hotspots and haven't enabled it since. Back in the day I had a cellular data plan with 6GB and even then I had no use for those 'hotspots'. Since last January I'm on an unlimited data plan and have definitely no need for it.

Surely it's up to you, but I'd delete it if it inconveniences you that much.

MrMars

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I had that same problem with the hotspots from my provider. I simply did the 'Forget this network' option for the hotspots and haven't enabled it since. Back in the day I had a cellular data plan with 6GB and even then I had no use for those 'hotspots'. Since last January I'm on an unlimited data plan and have definitely no need for it.

Surely it's up to you, but I'd delete it if it inconveniences you that much.

It's not really a huge deal. I don't have an unlimited plan but with 4 phones on my plan we've come close to our limit but it's never really a big issue. I myself have found that those hotspots are never really that great anyway.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Charter has started installing hot spots in my city. Some of my neighbors have them installed so as long as I use my Charter credentials, I can connected to any of them throughout the town.

Back to the OP, nope, can't be done.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Charter has started installing hot spots in my city. Some of my neighbors have them installed so as long as I use my Charter credentials, I can connected to any of them throughout the town.

Back to the OP, nope, can't be done.

That's different than how my provider does it.
Their modems have a built in guest network, completely sandboxed and separated from the client part. It has its own IP and also works with login credentials.
If I understand it correctly, Charter installs their hotspots separately in street lanterns or something similar?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That's different than how my provider does it.
Their modems have a built in guest network, completely sandboxed and separated from the client part. It has its own IP and also works with login credentials.
If I understand it correctly, Charter installs their hotspots separately in street lanterns or something similar?

Yes, but I understand Charter can also create a completely isolated wifi network for their customers so use in their home and business units too.

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
Cox has quite a few hotspots installed around where I live. The ones I've connected to were terrible! Most of them I couldn't even connect to any web sites!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to prioritize which wifi network your phone connects to by default when multiple are available?

After forgetting the other networks, use the feature depicted in the screenshot below.

IMG_0226.JPG

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73