Does this count as normal wear and tear?

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Bit hard to capture on camera, but hope you know what I'm talking about
TW17nnY.jpg

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
iPhone SE

How long have you had it?
How did you use it?
Was there any case at any certain point on the device?
How often did you use it?

From the picture I can't really tell, but it doesn't look like the iPhone has many and thick scratches in it.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Bit hard to capture on camera, but hope you know what I'm talking about
View attachment 118077

In that photo, I can't get a clear pic of what I'm suppose to be looking at. Having said that, if it's minor scrapes or scratches then it could be "normal wear and tear", depending on how you handle the device and whether or not you protect it with a case of some sort.

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
In that photo, I can't get a clear pic of what I'm suppose to be looking at. Having said that, if it's minor scrapes or scratches then it could be "normal wear and tear", depending on how you handle the device and whether or not you protect it with a case of some sort.

It's within the red region, but it's impossible to see during normal usage

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
How long have you had it?
How did you use it?
Was there any case at any certain point on the device?
How often did you use it?

From the picture I can't really tell, but it doesn't look like the iPhone has many and thick scratches in it.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

2 months, with leather case, pretty frequently. I can't see these scratches during normal usage only if you shine it under flash

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's within the red region, but it's impossible to see during normal usage

It's probably from putting on and removing of the protective case, but I cant say for certain. Still, if it's just very a minor cosmetic thing, I wouldn't worry about it.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It looks to me like a general scratch. Could be from many things. Maybe from a case, maybe from a surface you put the phone down on. Maybe even some sand got into the case and rubbed a bit? I wouldn't stress too much about it. Seems quite small. :)

If you are able to take a better picture it may help a little.

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I mean you can only see it under the sun or something. During normal use I can feel it through my fingernail but just looking at it normally it looks 100% perfect condition

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Are you using a screen protector? If not, plenty of items encountered daily can scratch the screen. Putting the phone in a pocket or bag with items like keys, coins, etc. sliding the phone screen down in to jeans. Putting the phone face down on rough surfaces (concrete, tile, counter tops)

I'd highly recommend a quality screen protector from day one, or a folio-style case that offers screen protection whenever the phone is not in use.

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Are you using a screen protector? If not, plenty of items encountered daily can scratch the screen. Putting the phone in a pocket or bag with items like keys, coins, etc. sliding the phone screen down in to jeans. Putting the phone face down on rough surfaces (concrete, tile, counter tops)

I'd highly recommend a quality screen protector from day one, or a folio-style case that offers screen protection whenever the phone is not in use.

Do you think they're just oleophobic scratches though?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I mean you can only see it under the sun or something. During normal use I can feel it through my fingernail but just looking at it normally it looks 100% perfect condition

Why are you asking a question about it, then? What exactly are you concerned about?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you think they're just oleophobic scratches though?

I doubt it. That coating is incredibly thin, and if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, they're deeper than the coating.

That if it's a part of normal wear and tear because I didn't drop it at all or use it roughly.

As I said, depending how you carry the phone, then yes it could be part of normal wear and tear. If you've carried the phone in a pocket/purse/bag with other items (like keys, spare change, etc etc) that could strike or rub against the screen, if you routinely rest the phone face down on surfaces like concrete, asphalt, rough tile, sand, or unfinished wood...

Put a screen protector on it.

anon(10195731)

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I doubt it. That coating is incredibly thin, and if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, they're deeper than the coating.

As I said, depending how you carry the phone, then yes it could be part of normal wear and tear. If you've carried the phone in a pocket/purse/bag with other items (like keys, spare change, etc etc) that could strike or rub against the screen, if you routinely rest the phone face down on surfaces like concrete, asphalt, rough tile, sand, or unfinished wood...

Put a screen protector on it.

Thanks for your response I'll get a screen protector soon. But what do you call the scratches that you can't see under normal usage unless you put it under a light, and can feel it faintly? It's possible to scratch the screen with your fingernail even a little bit?

Don't worry I'll get a protector soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77