Is force restarting an iPhone bad?

I

iMore Question

Or is it just like force restarting a PC? Does it cause any major problems if you do it? There is this article from Payette Forward that explains from an Apple technician that doing so can cause processes to malfunction and make the phone go bad over time, is it rare, especially with the new APFS?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
[INFO][h=2]How to force restart[/h][FONT=&quot]You should force restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a last resort, and only if it's not responding. Follow these steps to force restart your device:[/FONT]

• On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
[/INFO]

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Many call it a hard reset.

Terminology has always threw me off. A soft reset is what I've always known this to be. A hard reset is essentially wiping the device completely to factory defaults. I've called it a forced restart as well. With computers it makes sense when you can't shut the down traditionally so you hold the power key to "force" it to shut down.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
The all knowing at the Apple Genius Bar have always warned against doing "hard" or "forced" resets unless the device is locked up and unresponsive. Otherwise they recommend powering off the device and then powering back on to clear issues with an app, or device in general.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Terminology has always threw me off. A soft reset is what I've always known this to be. A hard reset is essentially wiping the device completely to factory defaults. I've called it a forced restart as well. With computers it makes sense when you can't shut the down traditionally so you hold the power key to "force" it to shut down.

A hard reset is not the same as a restore. Some newer tech writers refer to it that way. But they're wrong. A soft reset is simply a power off using the slide to power off. A hard reset are the 2 buttons till the Apple logo shows. A factor reset is the restore.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711