black iphone question

I

iMore Question

Hi
im going to finally buy an iphone 7
im between black and silver.
Although i prefer the mat black Im concerned if the phone is chipping as easily as the black iphone 5 did ?
Is it durable or should i go with the silver one?

thanks

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I'd say it doesn't chip quite as easily as the space gray iPhone 5. It seems Apple has made improvements to its anodization process since then (also, they've publicly stated that they have).

They're both pretty durable but they're both prone to getting banged up if dropped. Go with whatever color you like the most and stop worrying about it.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

This question gets asked a lot. I always offer the same advice. As all people have different taste you are going to get varying answers. Plus no one has your exact taste. I suggest going to the Apple Store and comparing them side by side. In the end you are the person who has to live with and use it. And you don't want to base your decisions on other peoples like and dislikes then down the road regret your final decision.

As for the question of it chipping, Apple has come a long way with the process of anodizing the aluminum. I've not seen many complaints of phones chipping. I have the Jet Black and it looks perfect to this day. I keep mine in a case though.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi
im going to finally buy an iphone 7
im between black and silver.
Although i prefer the mat black Im concerned if the phone is chipping as easily as the black iphone 5 did ?
Is it durable or should i go with the silver one?

thanks

I've got the Matte Black. Got it a few weeks after release. Haven't noticed a single paint chip or any nicks to the paint. I typically keep mine in a case but I occasionally got without. But I've also NEVER dropped my iPhone. I do have quite a few micro scratches on the screen though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods