possible to recover data afterdeleting it manually, doing a factory reset and setting up new phone?

cloud9 baby

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone. I recently replaced my iPhone 5s with a new iPhone 6s.
It was supposed to be passed down to my younger sister, but my mother got a hold of it and took it to an IT shop, or at least that's what she told me. The problem is that we have a very toxic relationship, she does not respect my privacy at all and would do anything to ruin my life (I'm 18, by the way). But that's besides the point.
On that iPhone 5s, I had very private pictures and data that I can't let my parents see since they can potentially ruin my life (not exaggerating).

Before giving my phone away, I deleted every single picture and everything else manually and did a factory reset. I also set up a new phone, with a new iCloud for my sister and she has used it for a couple days before my mother took it away from her. My mother keeps threatening me and hinting that my pictures and contacts are being retrieved and saying that I will have to explain myself on Monday.

With all that being said, my question is: Is it possible to recover data from that iPhone? Even after being deleted manually, a factory reset and new data?

I really need answers as soon as possible because I'm very worried.
Thank you in advance.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you've deleted the pics as well as restored your iPhone as new, typically, those pics would be unrecoverable by the average person. If those pics were in your photo stream or iCloud Photo Library and you were not connected to the internet when you deleted the pics from the iPhone and when you restored the device as new then it is possible that the pics could sync back to the device if your iCloud account is set up again on it. With that in mind, login to your iCloud account via a computer and delete your pics therein, if applicable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you have an iCloud back up before you deleted your pics? If so, did you set up the new phone as new, or from the back up?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I made sure to sign out of iCloud before deleting the pics and set up the phone as new, with a new iCloud account.

No one can retrieve your data, photos, etc from your iCloud account on the old phone without your Apple ID. Did you turn off "Find My iPhone" before wiping it? Your photos may still be in your iCloud back up, unless you have backed up your new phone. In that case they should be gone. You can check iCloud and see if the old back up is still there. But as far as someone seeing anything now, it's not likely without your iCloud log in. If you think someone knows your Apple ID, you can reset the password here.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

cloud9 baby

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
But there are third-party programs out there that claim to recover photos and data from the device itself, without an iTunes/iCloud backup. Is that possible?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No, that's not possible. If you have your iPhone restored as new and set up with a different Apple ID, nobody will be able to retrieve your photos/documents from that iPhone.

cloud9 baby

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the answer!
However, my mother keeps saying that I "let her down" and that she will show me proof later.
I'm very confused at the moment since I thought nothing could be recovered.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
She is baiting you. Don't fall for it and don't admit or confess anything.
It's a standard and very old trick all mothers do. Let her make her case and prove you did something wrong.
You're innocent until proven guilty.

Riya Bramhe

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Since you restored your iPhone as new and also set up a different Apple ID, I don't see any way your mom could have access to your images, etc. Don't worry, you're safe for sure! :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If she took the old phone to a shop before you wiped it, it's possible they helped her see your data. Your email address used for your ID would have been visible in settlngs > iCloud. They might could have reset the password with that. Did you use security questions as well? Would she know the answers to them?

cloud9 baby

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
She took it to the shop after I wiped it and set it up as new. She does not know my email address and the password hasn't changed. I have the two-step verification thing on, which sends me a 6 digit code when I try to log in with my Apple ID on my laptop or any other device. I also get an email everytime I do that so I'm pretty sure no one else has access to my iCloud.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
She took it to the shop after I wiped it and set it up as new. She does not know my email address and the password hasn't changed. I have the two-step verification thing on, which sends me a 6 digit code when I try to log in with my Apple ID on my laptop or any other device. I also get an email everytime I do that so I'm pretty sure no one else has access to my iCloud.

You should be OK then.

anon(9758025)

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
This is probably too late but on iOS when you delete a picture it creates a folder per say that has all deleted pictures and keeps those for 30 days and then will be permanently deleted after that so you could recover your pictures before that time unless you deleted the picture from there as well then I would go with the others and download your backup from your iCloud if that was the case.

LINDERMAN88

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I bet Apple still have access to any icloud photos even after you delete them. Check their terms and conditions and privacy statements or ask them directly. It would not surprise me if they kept an archive for some period before permanent deletion - eg for access by the government and law enforcement. These corporations are above the law and even if caught doing the wrong thing can pay the fines which are trivial compared to their income. Of course they won't admit any of this by providing a service to recover your deleted icloud photos, but I bet they could.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711