No voice on facetime

I

iMore Question

My iPad has had facetime app for a couple of years. Just lately the mute sound is permanently on and cannot change to off mute.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore :)

Is the mic working in other areas of your phone? Are you running the latest version of iOS? If so, try a hard reset by holding both Power button and Home button down at the same time until you see the Apple logo. Once you see the logo let go of both buttons and allow the phone to restart (hard reset does not delete or remove anything from your phone).

If that fails to fix the issue, long-press on the Facetime app until it begins to wiggle, then tap the X and uninstall it. Once uninstalled, go to the app store and install it again.

I'm sure others will reply in case I forgot to suggest something. If for some reason you still cannot get the sound in Facetime to unmute, make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple store where they can further assist you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If none of the above works, try Reset All Settings. That cures a lot of issues.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I had the exact same thing happen on a game I was playing and nothing I did would make the sound come back on. I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall the app.