Is it possible to damage an iPhone speaker by playing loud music?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, it is possible, but unlikely. Yet, playing music loudly, especially music with heavy bass over a period of time could eventually damage the iPhone's speakers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Anything is possible. But I imagine Apple tested this knowing many would like their music loud. I have yet to hear of any blown speakers. They probably should add a woofer.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely. It's possible to damage the drivers in any speaker by playing the music too loud. Yo can go in to the Music app settings and enable volume limit by sliding the toggle down thus lowering the max volume level.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. It's possible to damage the drivers in any speaker by playing the music too loud. Yo can go in to the Music app settings and enable volume limit by sliding the toggle down thus lowering the max volume level.

I've used an iPhone for 5 years. I'm hearing impaired. I've had all my iPhones cranked all the way up listening to mostly rock music. Never blew a speaker or noticed any issues with the speakers. Nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so. Not on an iPhone. Androids might, don't know.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I've used an iPhone for 5 years. I'm hearing impaired. I've had all my iPhones cranked all the way up listening to mostly rock music. Never blew a speaker or noticed any issues with the speakers. Nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so. Not on an iPhone. Androids might, don't know.

Just because it hasn't happened to you is by no means an indication that it isn't possible.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just because it hasn't happened to you is by no means an indication that it isn't possible.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. Just that I haven't heard of one case where an iPhone speaker blew. Apple's max volume on the iPhone isn't really that great.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I didn't say it wasn't possible. Just that I haven't heard of one case where an iPhone speaker blew. Apple's max volume on the iPhone isn't really that great.

Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not possible or that it has not ever happened. In reference to sound, speakers get blown from having too much power going in to them. Loud music is one way to blow any speaker. The option to limit the volume in the music app will help prevent too much power to the speaker. Another option is using headphones or an external speaker.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just because you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not possible or that it has not ever happened. In reference to sound, speakers get blown from having too much power going in to them. Loud music is one way to blow any speaker. The option to limit the volume in the music app will help prevent too much power to the speaker. Another option is using headphones or an external speaker.

I'll put it this way. It's extremely unlikely to happen. I've been a member here for nearly 4 years. I haven't seen one user come and say, "my speakers blew on my iPhone!".

Larry Cook1

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Sherry you should tone it down a little. He didn't say it couldn't happen he said he hasn't heard of it happening. Not have I heard of it happening.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
We had to get the speaker replaced in my wife's 6 Plus (no big deal, about 15 min wait while I geeked out in the Apple Store). I'm totally convinced that it was from her constantly playing music at full volume. She seems to have changed her listening habits lately, and no longer uses the phones speaker with her iPhone 6s plus, but resorts to BT speakers or her car stereo.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We had to get the speaker replaced in my wife's 6 Plus (no big deal, about 15 min wait while I geeked out in the Apple Store). I'm totally convinced that it was from her constantly playing music at full volume. She seems to have changed her listening habits lately, and no longer uses the phones speaker with her iPhone 6s plus, but resorts to BT speakers or her car stereo.

I've been doing it for years with no issues. A lot of people turn theirs up all the way. May have just been a faulty speaker. We'll never know though.
I would think the earlier iPhones were more susceptible to damage. It happens, but you don't hear about it hardly ever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner