Help! My iPhone is stuck on the Apple logo for seemingly no reason! :-(

I

iMore Question

I apologize in advance for a long story...

So, being a father it didn't take long for my iPhone 6s to become filled with photos of my children when I purchased it in January of last year. As a result, like many people I've struggled to constantly free up space-I've had some difficulties with iCloud but that's another story. I haven't even had the space on the phone to do an iOS update in a little while as well.

Lately, I've been jotting down information using the Notes app-it's usually just little stuff, like grocery lists and whatnot, but last night I went to put something in and the entire contents of the Notes app was wiped clean. This has happened before and it's frustrating! I decided right then and there to try and update the iOS-maybe that would help to prevent things like this from happening, I don't know. I then started deleting some apps to free up space for the update, and then went into Settings to see how much space I'd freed up. At that point, the phone started to freeze a bit and become a bit jerky, which has happened before, so I simply restarted it, knowing that would fix the problem.

Unfortunately, it didn't. What I was presented with upon restart was the Apple logo, frozen. This has happened before from time to time, so I did the hard restart (Power & Home buttons), however that didn't work either. I've done that a number of times since then, all to no avail. I then tried starting it in Safe Mode (holding down the Volume button during restart), also to no avail-what would happen is that the phone would either just continue to show the Apple logo or alternate between the Apple logo and a black screen. I would usually let go of the button(s) after a few minutes when my fingertip got tired. Eventually, I hopped on a chat with Apple in hopes they might be able to shed some light on a solution, and they then told me about the Recovery Mode option-plugging it into the computer and using iTunes to update the iOS. This seemed to work-the phone connected to iTunes just fine and I began the update, however after a few minutes I got a message indicating that the network connection timed out, and to check my network status, which is odd as my network is working just fine.

I then gave up for the night, though I did eventually try later to see if I could somehow extract some of my photos from the phone, which didn't work.

At this moment, the phone is still doing the same thing it was doing last night-it starts up but freezes at the Apple logo. The phone isn't jailbroken and I wasn't doing anything odd prior to this happening. It also had sufficient battery as well. I don't have the slightest clue why this is happening, and I'm worried-I just want to get my photos of the kids off the phone in the event the phone needs to be wiped clean. However, if wiping the phone can be avoided, I would obviously prefer that.

Any thoughts? I have a Genius Bar appointment later this morning, and I'm hopeful they can help me, but I'm legitimately worried. I'll do anything to get those photos, to be able to use my phone again...

Help!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I fear the pictures may be gone UNLESS you have an iTunes or iCloud backup. MAYBE you do? Maybe during one of your attempts to figure out the cloud you DID turn it on and/or it made a backup? Try signing on to the cloud and seeing what if anything is there. Go to http://www.icloud.com then sign in with your AppleID (your email) and password (that you use to sign in to the App store and iTunes). Do this on your PC or Mac OR worstcase a tablet. Also try iTunes, start up iTunes on your PC or Mac, then plug your device in to your computer, make sure it's on, and if necessary restart the iPhone. What happens? Get any error message? Sometimes iTunes will even offer to fix your problem, BUT be careful, it MAY wipe your device so make sure if offers you an available backup.

Hopefully the geniuses can help. :)

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, really sorry you're in this situation.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the above doesn't work and you can't get things back perhaps it would be worth looking into Google Images.
You get unlimited space for standard photos and there's a handy app which auto backs up your photos when you take them.

iCloud is great don't get me wrong but you can't argue with unlimited space.

Let us know if you get things back and how it was done.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If you have the time consider joining our great community of like minded people and we would like to hear how your Genius Bar appointment went and if you were able to save your child's precious photos

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi, really sorry you're in this situation.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but if the above doesn't work and you can't get things back perhaps it would be worth looking into Google Images.
You get unlimited space for standard photos and there's a handy app which auto backs up your photos when you take them.

iCloud is great don't get me wrong but you can't argue with unlimited space.

Let us know if you get things back and how it was done.

I second that emotion! I'm a Google Photos user myself!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2